- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 408694, 7 pages
M-CHAT Mexican Version Validity and Reliability and Some Cultural Considerations
1Research Division, Hospital Psiquiátrico Infantil “Dr. Juan N. Navarro,” Secretaría de Salud, Mexico
2Epidemiology Department, Asociación Mexicana de Niños con TDA y Trastornos Asociados AC, Mexico
3Psychology School, Facultad de Psicología, Universidad Regional del Sureste, Mexico
4Psychology School, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana de México, Mexico
5Washington University School of Medicine, Occupational Therapy and Psychiatry, St. Louis, MO, USA
Received 6 February 2012; Accepted 18 March 2012
Academic Editors: A. Arboix and K. W. Lange
Copyright © 2012 Lilia Albores-Gallo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Baird, E. Simonoff, A. Pickles et al., “Prevalence of disorders of the autism spectrum in a population cohort of children in South Thames: the Special Needs and Autism Project (SNAP),” Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9531, pp. 210–215, 2006.
- S. Baron-Cohen, F. J. Scott, C. Allison et al., “Prevalence of autism-spectrum conditions: UK school-based population study,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 194, no. 6, pp. 500–509, 2009.
- Y. Kawamura, O. Takahashi, and T. Ishii, “Reevaluating the incidence of pervasive developmental disorders: impact of elevated rates of detection through implementation of an integrated system of screening in Toyota, Japan,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 152–159, 2008.
- C. Rice, J. Nicholas, J. Baio et al., “Changes in autism spectrum disorder prevalence in 4 areas of the United States,” Disability and Health Journal, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 186–201, 2010.
- D. L. Robins, D. Fein, M. L. Barton, and J. A. Green, “The Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers: an initial study investigating the early detection of autism and pervasive developmental disorders,” Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 131–144, 2001.
- J. Osterling and G. Dawson, “Early recognition of children with autism: a study of first birthday home videotapes,” Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 247–257, 1994.
- J. Hurlh, E. Shaw, S. G. Izeman, K. Whaley, and S. J. Rogers, “Areas of agreement about effective practices among programs serving young children with autism spectrum disorders,” Infants and Young Children, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 17–26, 1999.
- T. Smith, “Outcome of early intervention for children with autism,” Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 33–49, 1999.
- S. L. Harris and L. Delmolino, “Applied behavior analysis: its application in the treatment of autism and related disorders in young children,” Infants and Young Children, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 11–17, 2002.
- J. L. Matson, “Current status of differential diagnosis for children with autism spectrum disorders,” Research in Developmental Disabilities, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 109–118, 2007.
- J. L. Matson, “Determining treatment outcome in early intervention programs for autism spectrum disorders: a critical analysis of measurement issues in learning based interventions,” Research in Developmental Disabilities, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 207–218, 2007.
- S. Sutera, J. Pandey, E. L. Esser et al., “Predictors of optimal outcome in toddlers diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders,” Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 98–107, 2007.
- G. Dawson, S. Rogers, J. Munson et al., “Randomized, controlled trial of an intervention for toddlers with autism: The early start Denver model,” Pediatrics, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. e17–e23, 2010.
- D. Bishop, “How to Choose a diagnostic tools? Discussion: a plea for efficiency,” Oxford, UK, 2010, http://psyweb.psy.ox.ac.uk/oscci/.
- J. L. Matson, R. D. Rieske, and K. Tureck, “Additional considerations for the early detection and diagnosis of autism: review of available instruments,” Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1319–1326, 2011.
- N. Akshoomoff, C. Corsello, and H. Schmidt, “The role of the autism diagnostic observation schedule in the assessment of autism spectrum disorders in school and community settings,” The California School Psychologist, vol. 11, pp. 7–19, 2006.
- F. R. Volkmar, D. M. Stier, and D. J. Cohen, “Age of recognition of pervasive developmental disorder,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 1450–1452, 1985.
- M. T. Kishore and A. Basu, “Early concerns of mothers of children later diagnosed with autism: implications for early identification,” Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 157–163, 2011.
- Confederación de Autismo España e Instituto de Investigación de Enfermedades Raras (IIER), “Informe sobre demora en el diagnostico en los TEA,” April 2011, http://iier.isciii.es/autismo/pdf/aut_isdd2.pdf.
- C. Talero-Gutiérrez, M. Rodríguez, D. De La Rosa, G. Morales, and A. Vélez-Van-Meerbeke, “Profile of children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders in an institution in Bogota, Colombia,” Neurologia, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 90–96, 2011.
- M. Yeargin-Allsopp, C. Rice, T. Karapurkar, N. Doernberg, C. Boyle, and C. Murphy, “Prevalence of autism in a US metropolitan area,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2003.
- T. M. Achenbach and L. A. Rescorla, “Manual for the ASEBA Preschool Forms & Profiles,” VT: University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, & Families, Burlington, US, 2000.
- L. Albores-Gallo, L. Hernández-Guzmán , J. Díaz-Pichardo, B. Cortes-Hernández, and C. Esperón-Vargas, “Validity and reliability of CBCL/1.5-5 Mexican version,” in 55th Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psyquiatry (AACAP '08), Chicago, Ill, USA, Octuber 2008.
- C. Lord, M. Rutter, and A. Le Couteur, “Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: a revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 659–685, 1994.
- H. Perera, K. Wijewardena, and R. Aluthwelage, “Screening of 18-24-month-old children for autism in a semi-urban community in Sri Lanka,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 402–405, 2009.
- N. Inada, T. Koyama, E. Inokuchi, M. Kuroda, and Y. Kamio, “Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the Modified Checklist for autism in toddlers (M-CHAT),” Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 330–336, 2011.
- J. Buitelaar, K. Beuker, S. Schjolberg, K. KveimLie, M. Hornig, and M. Bresnahan, “M-CHAT and ESAT screening questionnaires at 18 months in the general population: issues of overlap and external validity,” in IMFAR International Meeting for Autism Research, London, UK, 2008.
- A. VandenBerg and L. Lecavalier, “A comparison of the modified checklist for autism in toddlers and the social communication questionnaire in preschoolers suspected of having pervasive developmental disorders,” in 6th Annual Meeting of the IMFAR Autism Research, Seattle, Wash, USA, 2007.
- N. M. Reyes, M. A. Patriquin, A. Scarpa, and K. Kerkering, “Differences between English- and Spanish-Speaking mother's report on Toddler's profiles in the modified checklist for Autism in Toddlers (M-CHAT),” in International Meeting for Autism Research, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2010.
- L. Joseph, S. Shumway, and A. Thurm, “Repetitive behaviors in young children with autism: specificity and stability,” in International Meeting for Autism Research, San Diego Calif, USA, 2011.
- S. Baron-Cohen, Mindblindness: An Essay on Autism and Theory of Mind, MIT Press/Bradford Books, London, UK, 1995.
- J. Piven, P. Palmer, D. Jacobi, D. Childress, and S. Arndt, “Broader autism phenotype: evidence from a family history study of multiple-incidence autism families,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 185–190, 1997.
- D. Spiker, L. J. Lotspeich, S. Dimiceli, R. M. Myers, and N. Risch, “Behavioral phenotypic variation in autism multiplex families: evidence for a continuous severity gradient,” American Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 129–136, 2002.
- J. N. Constantino and R. D. Todd, “Autistic traits in the general population: a twin study,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 524–530, 2003.
- R. A. Hoekstra, M. Bartels, C. J. H. Verweij, and D. I. Boomsma, “Heritability of autistic traits in the general population,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 4, pp. 372–377, 2007.
- D. H. Skuse, W. Mandy, C. Steer et al., “Social communication competence and functional adaptation in a general population of children: preliminary evidence for sex-by-verbal IQ differential risk,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 128–137, 2009.
- V. Wong, L. Hui, W. Lee, et al., “A modified screening tool for autism (Checklist for Autism in Toddlers [CHAT-23]) for Chinese children,” Pediatrcs, vol. 2, no. 114, pp. 166–176, 2004.
- J. M. Kleinman, D. L. Robins, P. E. Ventola et al., “The modified checklist for autism in toddlers: a follow-up study investigating the early detection of autism spectrum disorders,” Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 827–839, 2008.
- F. P. Glascoe, M. M. Macias, L. M. Wegner, and N. S. Robertshaw, “Can a broadband developmental-behavioral screening test identify children likely to have autism spectrum disorder?” Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 801–805, 2007.
- Y. V. Virkud, R. D. Todd, A. M. Abbacchi, Y. Zhang, and J. N. Constantino, “Familial aggregation of quantitative autistic traits in multiplex versus simplex autism,” American Journal of Medical Genetics B, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 328–334, 2009.
- J. N. Constantino and R. D. Todd, “Intergenerational transmission of subthreshold autistic traits in the general population,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 655–660, 2005.
- “Non-Verbal Communication Modes,” July 2001 http://www2.andrews.edu/~tidwell/bsad560/NonVerbal.html.
- D. Morris, “Bodytalk: The Meaning of Human Gestures. New York: Crown Trade Paperbacks. Non-verbal Communication. Providers Guide to Quality and Culture,” August 2011, http://erc.msh.org/mainpage.cfm?file=4.6.0.htm&module=provider&language=English.
- J. A. Pinto-Martin, L. M. Young, D. S. Mandell, L. Poghosyan, E. Giarelli, and S. E. Levy, “Screening strategies for autism spectrum disorders in pediatric primary care,” Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 345–350, 2008.