- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 408769, 6 pages
Cow’s Milk Allergy Is a Major Contributor in Recurrent Perianal Dermatitis of Infants
1Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Abbassia, Cairo 11566, Egypt
2Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Abbassia, Cairo 11566, Egypt
Received 12 May 2012; Accepted 1 August 2012
Academic Editors: S. C. Aronoff and S. K. Patole
Copyright © 2012 Mostafa Abdel-Aziz El-Hodhod et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. F. Hayden, “Skin diseases encountered in a pediatric clinic. A one-year prospective study,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 36–38, 1985.
- W. E. Jordan, K. D. Lawson, R. W. Berg, J. J. Franxman, and A. M. Marrer, “Diaper dermatitis: frequency and severity among a general infant population,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 198–207, 1986.
- D. P. Amren, A. S. Anderson, and L. W. Wannamaker, “Perianal cellulitis associated with group A streptococci,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 546–552, 1966.
- B. Kränke, M. Trummer, E. Brabek, P. Komericki, T. D. Turek, and W. Aberer, “Etiologic and causative factors in perianal dermatitis: results of a prospective study in 126 patients,” Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 118, no. 3-4, pp. 90–94, 2006.
- D. B. Ward, A. B. Fleischer Jr., S. R. Feldman, and D. P. Krowchuk, “Characterization of diaper dermatitis in the United States,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 154, no. 9, pp. 943–946, 2000.
- A. T. Lane, P. A. Rehder, and K. Helm, “Evaluations of diapers containing absorbent gelling material with conventional disposable diapers in newborn infants,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 315–318, 1990.
- R. Philipp, A. Hughes, and J. Golding, “Getting to the bottom of nappy rash. ALSPAC Survey Team. Avon Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and Childhood,” The British Journal of General Practice, vol. 47, pp. 493–497, 1997.
- M. O. Visscher, R. Chatterjee, K. A. Munson, D. E. Bare, and S. B. Hoath, “Development of diaper rash in the newborn,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 52–57, 2000.
- P. C. Goldsmith, R. J. G. Rycroft, I. R. White, C. M. Ridley, S. M. Neill, and J. P. Mcfadden, “Contact sensitivity in women with anogenital dermatoses,” Contact Dermatitis, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 174–175, 1997.
- A. Bauer, J. Geier, and P. Elsner, “Allergic contact dermatitis in patients with anogenital complaints,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 649–654, 2000.
- J. D. Wilkinson, E. M. Hambly, and D. S. Wilkinson, “Comparison of patch test results in two adjacent areas of England. II. Medicaments,” Acta Dermato-Venereologica, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 245–249, 1980.
- H. T. Shin, “Diaper dermatitis that does not quit,” Dermatologic Therapy, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 124–135, 2005.
- A. G. Pratt and W. T. Read Jr., “Influence of type of feeding on pH of stool, pH of skin, and incidence of perianal dermatitis in the newborn infant,” The Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 539–543, 1955.
- A. Høst, “Frequency of cow's milk allergy in childhood,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 89, no. 6, supplement 1, pp. 33–37, 2002.
- J. E. Wright and H. L. Butt, “Perianal infection with β haemolytic streptococcus,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 145–146, 1994.
- J. Hyams, R. Colletti, C. Faure, E. Gabriel-Martinez, and M. Verna, “Functional gastrointestinal disorders. Working group report of the first World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 35, supplement 2, pp. S110–S117, 2002.
- F. K. Gishan, “Chronic diarrhea,” in Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, R. E. Behrman, R. M. Kliegman, and H. B. Jenson, Eds., pp. 1276–1281, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 17th edition, 2004.
- S. Ahlstedt, I. Holmquist, A. Kober, and H. Perborn, “Accuracy of specific IgE antibody assays for diagnosis of cow's milk allergy,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 89, no. 6, supplement 1, pp. 21–25, 2002.
- S. L. Taylor, S. L. Hefle, C. Bindslev-Jensen et al., “Factors affecting the determination of threshold doses for allergenic foods: how much is too much?” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 2002.
- R. S. Zeiger, S. Heller, M. H. Mellon et al., “Effect of combined maternal and infant food-allergen avoidance on development of atopy in early infancy: a randomized study,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 72–89, 1989.
- P. N. Dixon, R. P. Warin, and M. P. English, “Role of Candida albicans infection in napkin rashes,” British Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 648, pp. 23–27, 1969.
- C. L. Taschdjian, J. J. Burchall, and P. J. Kozinn, “Rapid identification of Candida albicans by filamentation on serum and serum substitutes,” A.M.A. Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 99, pp. 212–215, 1960.
- U. C. Ghoshal, U. Ghoshal, K. Das, and A. Misra, “Utility of hydrogen breath tests in diagnosis of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in malabsorption syndrome, and its relationship with orocecal transit time,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 2006.
- M. B. Heyman and Committee on Nutrition, “Lactose intolerance in infants, children, and adolescents,” Pediatrics, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 1279–1286, 2006.
- N. Radlović, M. Mladenović, and Z. Leković, “Lactose intolerance in infants with gluten-sensitive enteropathy: frequency and clinical characteristics,” Srpski Arhiv Za Celokupno Lekarstvo, vol. 137, no. 1-2, pp. 33–37, 2009.
- T. Doganci and R. Cengizlier, “Role of cow's milk allergy in children with chronic constipation,” The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 16, pp. 8–12, 2007.
- G. Iacono, F. Cavataio, G. Montalto et al., “Intolerance of cow's milk and chronic constipation in children,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 339, no. 16, pp. 1100–1104, 1998.
- R. W. Berg, K. W. Buckingham, and R. L. Stewart, “Etiologic factors in diaper dermatitis: the role of urine,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 102–106, 1986.
- G. Ferrazzini, R. R. Kaiser, S. K. Hirsig Cheng et al., “Microbiological aspects of diaper dermatitis,” Dermatology, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 136–141, 2003.
- P. J. Honig, B. Gribetz, J. J. Leyden, K. J. McGinley, and L. A. Burke, “Amoxicillin and diaper dermatitis,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 275–279, 1988.
- S. Singalavanija and I. J. Frieden, “Diaper dermatitis,” Pediatrics in Review, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 142–147, 1995.
- J. E. Rasmussen, “Classification of diaper dermatitis: an overview,” Pediatrician, vol. 14, supplement 1, pp. 6–10, 1987.
- A. S. Paller, “Immunodeficiency syndromes,” in Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology, J. Harper, A. Oranje, and N. Prose, Eds., pp. 1678–1699, Blackwell Science, Oxford, UK, 2000.
- W. Z. Mostafa, H. H. Arnaout, M. I. El-Lawindi, and Y. M. Zein El-Abidin, “An epidemiologic study of perianal dermatitis among children in Egypt,” Pediatric Dermatology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 351–354, 1997.
- E. Isolauri, A. Tahvanainen, T. Peltola, and T. Arvola, “Breast-feeding of allergic infants,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1999.
- J. Zhao, M. Fox, Y. Cong et al., “Lactose intolerance in patients with chronic functional diarrhoea: the role of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 892–900, 2010.