- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 410902, 6 pages
Nephroprotective Effect of Ursolic Acid in a Murine Model of Gentamicin-Induced Renal Damage
1Department of Pharmacology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Mangalore 575001, Karnataka, India
2Department of Pathology, K S Hegde Medical Academy, Nitte University, Deralakatte, Mangalore 574160, India
3Department of Physiology, Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore 575002, India
Received 4 April 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editors: J. L. Cornish and M. A. Prendergast
Copyright © 2012 Preethi G. Pai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Swain and B. Kaplan-Machlis, “Therapeutic uses of vitamin E in prevention of atherosclerosis,” Alternative Medicine Review, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 414–423, 1999.
- M. P. Mingeot-Leclercq and P. M. Tulkens, “Aminoglycoside neprotoxicity,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1003–1012, 1999.
- E. J. Begg and M. L. Barclay, “Aminoglycosides—50 years on,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 597–603, 1995.
- R. S. Edson and C. L. Terrell, “The aminoglycosides,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 519–528, 1999.
- B. J. Khoory, V. Fanos, A. Dall'Agnola, and L. Cataldi, “Aminoglycosides, risk factors and neonatal kidney,” Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 495–499, 1996.
- F. Rougier, D. Claude, M. Maurin, and P. Maire, “Aminoglycoside nephrotoxicity,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 2004.
- S. Cuzzocrea, E. Mazzon, L. Dugo et al., “A role for superoxide in gentamicin-mediated nephropathy in rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 450, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 2002.
- A. A. Al-Majed, A. M. Mostafa, A. C. Al-Rikabi, and O. A. Al-Shabanah, “Protective effects of oral arabic gum administration on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 445–451, 2002.
- R. J. Reiter, D. X. Tan, R. M. Sainz, J. C. Mayo, and S. Lopez-Burillo, “Melatonin: reducing the toxicity and increasing the efficacy of drugs,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1299–1321, 2002.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK, 1999.
- K. V. Kumar, M. U. R. Naidu, A. A. Shifow, and K. S. Ratnakar, “Probucol protects against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 108–113, 2000.
- I. T. Abdel-Raheem, A. A. Abdel-Ghany, and G. A. Mohamed, “Protective effect of quercetin against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 61–67, 2009.
- I. Yaman and E. Balikci, “Protective effects of Nigella sativa against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 183–190, 2010.
- G. V. Harlalka, C. R. Patil, and M. R. Patil, “Protective effect of Kalanchoe pinnata pers. (Crassulaceae) on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 201–205, 2007.
- S. B. Mahato, S. K. Sarkar, and G. Poddar, “Triterpenoid saponins,” Phytochemistry, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 3037–3067, 1988.
- J. Liu, “Pharmacology of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 57–68, 1995.
- A. Jain and A. K. Singhai, “Effect of Momordica dioica Roxb on gentamicin model of acute renal failure,” Natural Product Research, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 1379–1389, 2010.
- R. P. Chandragouda, R. B. Jadhav, P. K. Singh, S. Mundada, and P. R. Patil, “Protective effect of oleanolic acid on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2010.
- T. B. Mohammed and H. R. Sadeghnia, “Protective effect of safranal against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rat,” Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 285–288, 2009.
- L. O. Somova, A. Nadar, P. Rammanan, and F. O. Shode, “Cardiovascular, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant effects of oleanolic and ursolic acids in experimental hypertension,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 2-3, pp. 115–121, 2003.
- A. A. Shifow, K. V. Kumar, M. U. R. Naidu, and K. S. Ratnakar, “Melatonin, a pineal hormone with antioxidant property, protects against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats,” Nephron, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2000.
- A. O. Abdel-Zaher, M. M. Abdel-Rahman, M. M. Hafez, and F. M. Omran, “Role of nitric oxide and reduced glutathione in the protective effects of aminoguanidine, gadolinium chloride and oleanolic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damage,” Toxicology, vol. 234, no. 1-2, pp. 124–134, 2007.
- E. O. Farombi and M. Ekor, “Curcumin attenuates gentamicin-induced renal oxidative damage in rats,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 1443–1448, 2006.
- S. Balanehru and B. Nagarajan, “Protective effect of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid against lipid peroxidation,” Biochemistry International, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 981–990, 1991.
- Y. A. Dominic and M. Subbaiyan, “Studies on mitochondrial lipid peroxidation in tumour-bearing rats treated with ursolic acid and ursolic acetate,” Medical Science Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 213–215, 1993.
- X. H. Ma, Y. C. Zhao, L. Yin, R. L. Xu, D. W. Han, and M. S. Wang, “Studies on the preventive and therapeutic effects of ursolic acid (UA) on acute hepatic injury in rats,” Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 332–335, 1986.
- D. Beauchamp, G. Laurent, L. Grenier et al., “Attenuation of gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats by fleroxacin,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 1237–1245, 1997.