- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 428974, 7 pages
Study of Cellulose Interaction with Concentrated Solutions of Sulfuric Acid
Chemical Department, Designer Energy Ltd., Bergman Street, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Received 5 October 2012; Accepted 4 November 2012
Academic Editors: C. Perego and I. Poulios
Copyright © 2012 Michael Ioelovich. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Meyer and H. Mark, “For the crystallizable part of cellulose,” Chemische Berichte, vol. 61, pp. 593–614, 1928.
- K. Freudenberg, W. Kuhn, W. Dürr, and W. Belz, “Hydrolysis of polysaccharides,” Chemische Berichte, vol. 63, pp. 1510–1530, 1930.
- K. Hess, Chemistry of Cellulose and Its Satellites, Chemical & Technology, Moscow, Russia, 1934.
- V. I. Sharkov, Hydrolytic Production, Forest & Paper, Moscow, Russia, 1950.
- V. M. Nikitin, Wood and Cellulose Chemistry, Forest & Paper, Moscow, Russia, 1960.
- N. A. Vedernikov and V. K. Kalnina, Wood Cell Wall and Its Changes at Chemical Treatments, Chemistry, Riga, Latvia, 1972.
- F. Camacho, P. Gonzalez-Tello, E. Jurado, and A. Robles, “Microcrystalline-cellulose hydrolysis with concentrated sulphuric acid,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 67, pp. 350–356, 1996.
- M. Ioelovich and E. Larina, “Parameters of crystalline structure and their influence on the reactivity of cellulose I,” Cellulose Chemistry and Technology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 3–12, 1999.
- P. H. Clifford, “Hydrocellulose—a summary of the literature,” Journal of The Textile Institute, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 69–77, 1923.
- A. Obolenskaya, Z. Eltinskaya, and A. Leonovich, Laboratory Manual on Wood and Cellulose Chemistry, Ecology, Moscow, Russia, 1991.
- V. I. Sharkov, Quantitative Chemical Analysis of Plant Raw Materials, Forest Ind, Moscow, Russia, 1976.
- R. Rowell, M.Handbook of Wood Chemistry and Wood Composites, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2005.
- D. Fengel and G. Wegener, Wood Chemistry, Ultrastructure, Reactions, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, Germany, 1984.
- TAPPI Standard. Acid-insoluble lignin in wood and pulp, T222 om-02, 2002.
- X. M. Dong, J. F. Revol, and D. G. Gray, “Effect of microcrystallite preparation conditions on the formation of colloid crystals of cellulose,” Cellulose, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 1998.
- M. Roman and W. T. Winter, “Effect of sulfate groups from sulfuric acid hydrolysis on the thermal degradation behavior of bacterial cellulose,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1671–1677, 2004.
- I. Z. Selim, A. A. F. Zikry, and S. H. Gaber, “Physicochemical properties of prepared cellulose sulfates: II. From linen pulp bleached by the H2O2 method,” Polymer—Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1387–1402, 2004.
- M. Ioelovich and A. Leykin, “Nano-cellulose and its application,” SITA, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 17–24, 2004.
- M. Ioelovich and A. Leykin, “Microcrystalline cellulose: nano-structure formation,” Cellulose Chemistry and Technology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 313–317, 2006.
- M. Ioelovich, “Cellulose as a nanostructured polymer: a short review,” BioResources, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1403–1418, 2008.
- M. Ioelovich, “Optimal conditions for isolation of nanocrystalline cellulose particles,” Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 9–13, 2012.
- Y. Habibi, L. A. Lucia, and O. J. Rojas, “Cellulose nanocrystals: chemistry, self-assembly, and applications,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 3479–3500, 2010.
- R. R. Lahiji, X. Xu, R. Reifenberger, A. Raman, A. Rudie, and R. J. Moon, “Atomic force microscopy characterization of cellulose nanocrystals,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 4480–4488, 2010.
- Y. Li and A. Ragauskas, “Cellulose nano-whiskers as a reinforcing filler in polyurethanes,” Advances in Diverse Industrial Applications of Nanocomposites, vol. 3, pp. 17–36, 2011.
- J. I. Morán, V. A. Alvarez, V. P. Cyras, and A. Vázquez, “Extraction of cellulose and preparation of nanocellulose from sisal fibers,” Cellulose, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 149–159, 2008.
- D. Y. Liu, X. W. Yuan, D. Bhattacharyya, and A. J. Easteal, “Characterisation of solution cast cellulose nanofibre—reinforced poly(lactic acid),” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 2010.
- L. Ludueña, D. Fasce, V. A. Alvarez, and P. M. Stefani, “Nanocellulose from rice husk following alkaline treatment to remove silica,” BioResources, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1440–1453, 2011.
- M. Yu, R. Yang, L. Huang, X. Cao, F. Yang, and D. Lin, “Preparation and characterization of bamboo nanocrystalline cellulose,” Bioresources, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 1802–1812, 2012.
- D. Bondeson, A. Mathew, and K. Oksman, “Optimization of the isolation of nanocrystals from microcrystalline cellulose by acid hydrolysis,” Cellulose, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 171–180, 2006.
- S. Elazzouzi-Hafraoui, Y. Nishiyama, J. L. Putaux, L. Heux, F. Dubreuil, and C. Rochas, “The shape and size distribution of crystalline nanoparticles prepared by acid hydrolysis of native cellulose,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 57–65, 2008.
- G. Siqueira, J. Bras, and A. Dufresne, “Luffa cylindrica as a lignocellulosic source of fiber, microfibrillated cellulose, and cellulose nanocrystals,” BioResources, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 727–740, 2010.
- A. Zakharov, M. Voronova, M. Radugin, T. Lebedeva, and N. Trutnev, “Structure and properties of cellulose isolated from water dispersion of nano-whiskers by freeze-drying method,” Chemistry of Plant Raw-Materials, vol. 4, pp. 31–36, 2010.
- H. Ono, Y. Shimaya, T. Hongo, and C. Yamane, “New aqueous dispersion of cellulose sub-micron particles,” Transactions of the Materials Research Society of Japan, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 569–572, 2001.
- H. Ono, T. Matsui, and I. Miyamoto, Cellulose dispersion, US Patent no. 6,541,627, 2003.
- R. Hashaikeh, T. Q. Hu, and R. Rerry, Crystalline sulphated cellulose II and its production from sulphuric acid hydrolysis of cellulose. US Patent Application no. 20100286387, 2010.
- M. Ioelovich, A. Leykin, and O. Figovsky, “Study of cellulose paracrystallinity,” BioResources, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1393–1407, 2010.
- M. Y. Ioelovich and G. P. Veveris, “Cellulose II content determination by X-ray analysis using an internal standard,” Wood Chemistry, vol. 2, pp. 10–14, 1983.
- J. F. Revol, L. Godbout, X. M. Dong, D. G. Gray, H. Chanzy, and G. Maret, “Chiral nematic suspensions of cellulose crystallites—phase separation and magnetic field orientation,” Liquid Crystals, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 127–134, 1994.
- M. Ioelovich, “Nano-structural concept of papermaking,” SITA, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 52–60, 2009.