- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Veterinary Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 435187, 5 pages
Incidence of Listeria spp. in Dairy Cows Feed and Raw Milk in Latvia
Scientific Institute of Biotechnology and Veterinary Medicine (SIGRA), Latvia University of Agriculture, Instituta street No. 1, 2150 Sigulda, Latvia
Received 24 November 2011; Accepted 2 January 2012
Academic Editor: A. Unver
Copyright © 2012 I. H. Konosonoka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Ministry of Agriculture Republic of Latvia, 2011, http://www.icar.org/Documents/Riga_2010/ppt/Nabels-Sneiders.pdf.
- S. P. Oliver, K. J. Boor, S. C. Murphy, and S. E. Murinda, “Food safety hazards associated with consumption of raw milk,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 793–806, 2009.
- P. Walstra, J. T. M. Wouters, and T. J. Geurts, “Microbiology of milk,” in Dairy Science and Technology, pp. 175–203, 2006.
- J. Bielecki, “Emerging food pathogens and bacterial toxins,” Acta Microbiologica Polonica, vol. 52, supplement, pp. 17–22, 2003.
- J. Garbutt, Essentials of Food Microbiology, Hodder Arnold, London, UK, 1997.
- A. Blija, “Pārtikas infekcijas, to cēloņi,” in Pārtikas un Uztura Kvalitāte un Drošums, pp. 72–85, LU Akadēmiskais Apgāds, Rīga, Latvia, 2007.
- T. Hain, S. S. Chatterjee, R. Ghai et al., “Pathogenomics of Listeria spp.,” International Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 297, no. 7-8, pp. 541–557, 2007.
- P. S. Mead, L. Slutsker, V. Dietz et al., “Food-related illness and death in the United States,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 607–625, 1999.
- C. J. Czuprynski, S. Kathariou, and K. Poulsen, “Listeria,” in Pathogenesis of Bacterial Infections in Animals, pp. 167–187, Wiley-Blackwell, 4th edition, 2010.
- E. Gouin, J. Mengaud, and P. Cossart, “The virulence gene cluster of Listeria monocytogenes is also present in Listeria ivanovii. an animal pathogen, and Listeria seeligeri, a nonpathogenic species,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 3550–3553, 1994.
- T. Chakraborty, F. Ebel, E. Domann et al., “A focal adhesion factor directly linking intracellularly motile Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria ivanovii to the actin-based cytoskeleton of mammalian cells,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1314–1321, 1995.
- J. C. Low and W. Donachie, “A review of Listeria monocytogenes and listeriosis,” Veterinary Journal, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 9–29, 1997.
- E. Fox, T. O'Mahony, M. Clancy, R. Dempsey, M. O'Brien, and K. Jordan, “Listeria monocytogenes in the Irish dairy farm environment,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 1450–1456, 2009.
- C. Arizcun, C. Vasseur, and J. C. Labadie, “Effect of several decontamination procedures on Listeria monocytogenes growing in biofilms,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 731–734, 1998.
- A. J. Roberts and M. Wiedmann, “Pathogen, host and environmental factors contributing to the pathogenesis of listeriosis,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 904–918, 2003.
- V. Ramaswamy, V. M. Cresence, J. S. Rejitha et al., “Listeria—review of epidemiology and pathogenesis,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 4–13, 2007.
- S. P. Oliver, B. M. Jayarao, and R. A. Almeida, “Foodborne pathogens in milk and the dairy farm environment: food safety and public health implications,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 115–129, 2005.
- D. C. Edson, S. Empson, and L. D. Massey, “Pathogen detection in food microbiology laboratories: an analysis of qualitative proficiency test data, 1999–2007,” Journal of Food Safety, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 521–530, 2009.
- P. Poltronieri, M. D. de Blasi, and O. F. D'Urso, “Detection of Listeria monocytogenes through real-time PCR and biosensor methods,” Plant, Soil and Environment, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 363–369, 2009.
- A. Bourry and B. Poutrel, “Bovine mastitis caused by Listeria monocytogenes: kinetics of antibody responses in serum and milk after experimental infections,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 2189–2195, 1996.
- K. Evans, M. Smith, P. McDonough, and M. Wiedmann, “Eye infections due to Listeria monocytogenes in three cows and one horse,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 464–469, 2004.
- M. K. Borucki, C. C. Gay, J. Reynolds et al., “Genetic diversity of Listeria monocytogenes strains from a high-prevalence dairy farm,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 5893–5899, 2005.
- L. B. Borisov, Medical Microbiology, Virology, Immunology, Medical News Agenstvo, Moscow, Russia, 2002.
- D. R. Fenlon and J. Wilson, “The incidence of Listeria monocytogenes in raw milk from farm bulk tanks in North-East Scotland,” Journal of Applied Bacteriology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 191–196, 1989.
- A. A. M. Abou-Eleinin, E. T. Ryser, and C. W. Donnelly, “Incidence and seasonal variation of Listeria species in bulk tank goat's milk,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1208–1213, 2000.
- D. R. Fenlon, “Rapid quantitave assesment of the distribution of Listeria in silage implicated in a suspected outbrake of listeriosis in calves,” Veterinary Record, vol. 118, pp. 240–242, 1986.
- L. B. Fernandez, G. Flores, A. A. Gonzalez, J. Valladeres, P. Castro, and S. Pereira, Hygienic quality in concentrates, milk and grass and maize silages in dairy farms in Galicia, Spain, 2008, http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search/display.do?f=2008%2FES%2FES0808.xml%3BES2008001649.
- B. M. Jayarao and D. R. Henning, “Prevalence of foodborne pathogens in bulk tank milk,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 2157–2162, 2001.
- M. J. Vilar, E. Yus, M. L. Sanjuán, F. J. Diéguez, and J. L. Rodríguez-Otero, “Prevalence of and risk factors for Listeria species on dairy farms,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 5083–5088, 2007.