- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 454898, 7 pages
Retrospective Study of Japanese Patients with Schizophrenia Treated with Aripiprazole
1Department of Nursing, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima 770-8509, Japan
2Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
3Department of Psychiatry, Mifune Hospital, Kagawa 763-0073, Japan
Received 21 May 2012; Accepted 5 July 2012
Academic Editors: A. Green and R. Schreiber
Copyright © 2012 Tetsuya Tanioka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Institute of Mental Health, “Schizophrenia,” http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/schizophrenia-booket-2009.pdf.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Schizophrenia, “Schizophrenia,” http://www.mhlw.go.jp/kokoro/speciality/detail_into.html.
- M. Lambert and D. Naber, “Current issues in schizophrenia: overview of patient acceptability, functioning capacity and quality of life,” CNS Drugs, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 5–17, 2004.
- S. Loga-Zec and S. Loga, “Antipsychotics and the quality of life of schizophrenic patients,” Psychiatria Danubina, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 495–497, 2010.
- P. Pramyothin and L. Khaodhiar, “Metabolic syndrome with the atypical antipsychotics,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 460–466, 2010.
- D. C. Henderson, “Atypical antipsychotic-induced diabetes mellitus: how strong is the evidence?” CNS Drugs, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 77–89, 2002.
- P. E. Cook, J. O. Goldberg, and R. J. Van Lieshout, “Benefits of switching from typical to atypical antipsychotic medications: a longitudinal study in a community-based setting,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 870–874, 2002.
- I. B. Chaudhry, J. Jordan, F. R. Cousin, R. Cavallaro, and J. M. Mostaza, “Management of physical health in patients with schizophrenia: international insights,” European Psychiatry, vol. 25, supplement 2, pp. s37–s40, 2010.
- S. R. Marder, R. D. McQuade, E. Stock et al., “Aripiprazole in the treatment of schizophrenia: safety and tolerability in short-term, placebo-controlled trials,” Schizophrenia Research, vol. 61, no. 2-3, pp. 123–136, 2003.
- A. H. Barnett, H. L. Millar, J. Y. Loze, G. J. L'Italien, M. Van Baardewijk, and M. Knapp, “UK cost-consequence analysis of aripiprazole in schizophrenia: diabetes and coronary heart disease risk projections (STAR study),” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 259, no. 4, pp. 239–247, 2009.
- Y. Matsuda, I. Umehara, A. Watanabe, et al., “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in hospitalized patients with schizophrenia in Japan,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 911–920, 2008 (Japanese).
- P. W. F. Wilson, R. B. D'Agostino, D. Levy, A. M. Belanger, H. Silbershatz, and W. B. Kannel, “Prediction of coronary heart disease using risk factor categories,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 18, pp. 1837–1847, 1998.
- M. P. Stern, K. Williams, and S. M. Haffner, “Identification of persons at high risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus: do we need the oral glucose tolerance test?” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 575–581, 2002.
- N. G. Clark, “Consensus development conference on antipsychotic drugs and obesity and diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 596–601, 2004.
- L. Hanssens, G. L'Italien, J. Y. Loze, R. N. Marcus, M. Pans, and W. Kerselaers, “The effect of antipsychotic medication on sexual function and serum prolactin levels in community-treated schizophrenic patients: results from the Schizophrenia Trial of Aripiprazole (STAR) study (NCT00237913),” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 8, article 95, 2008.
- D. C. Henderson and P. M. Doraiswamy, “Prolactin-related and metabolic adverse effects of atypical antipsychotic agents,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 32–44, 2008.
- A. Mir, K. Shivakumar, R. J. Williamson, V. McAllister, V. O'Keane, and K. J. Aitchison, “Change in sexual dysfunction with aripiprazole: a switching or add-on study,” Journal of Psychopharmacology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 244–253, 2008.
- X. Guo, Z. Zhang, J. Zhai, et al., “Effects of antipsychotic medications on quality of life and psychosocial functioning in patients with early-stage schizophrenia: 1-year follow-up naturalistic study,” Comprehensive Psychiatry. In press.
- A. Inagaki and T. Inada, “Dose equivalence of psychotropic drugs. Part XVIII: dose equivalence of psychotropic drugs 2006-version,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1443–1447, 2006 (Japanese).
- T. Miwa, R. Ikeda, A. Aizawa,, et al., “Transition in the prescription for anti-parkinson drugs after the launch of aripiprazole in Yuge hospital,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1249–1252, 2009 (Japanese).
- L. Ben Amor, “Antipsychotics in pediatric and adolescent patients: a review of comparative safety data,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 138, supplement, pp. S22–S30, 2012.
- R. L. Kolotkin, P. K. Corey-Lisle, R. D. Crosby, H. J. Kan, and R. D. McQuade, “Changes in weight and weight-related quality of life in a multicentre, randomized trial of aripiprazole versus standard of care,” European Psychiatry, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 561–566, 2008.
- M. De Hert, V. Schreurs, D. Vancampfort, and R. Van Winkel, “Metabolic syndrome in people with schizophrenia: a review,” World Psychiatry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2009.
- S. Saha, D. Chant, and J. McGrath, “A systematic review of mortality in schizophrenia: is the differential mortality gap worsening over time?” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 1123–1131, 2007.
- S. C. Newman and R. C. Bland, “Mortality in a cohort of patients with schizophrenia: a record linkage study,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 239–245, 1991.
- J. D. Croxtall, “Aripiprazole: a review of its use in the management of schizophrenia in adults,” CNS Drugs, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 155–183, 2012.
- R. Ganguli, J. S. Brar, R. Garbut, C.-C. H. Chang, and R. Basu, “Changes in weight and other metabolic indicators in persons with schizophrenia following a switch to aripiprazole,” Clinical Schizophrenia and Related Psychoses, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 75–79, 2011.
- T. Suzuki, H. Uchida, K. F. Tanaka et al., “Reducing the dose of antipsychotic medications for those who had been treated with high-dose antipsychotic polypharmacy: an open study of dose reduction for chronic schizophrenia,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 323–329, 2003.