- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 461245, 6 pages
Factors Affecting Postdispersal Weed Seed Predation in Barely Fields
Agronomy and Plant Breeding Department, Faculty of Agriculture University of Tehran, Karaj, Iran
Received 8 April 2012; Accepted 12 June 2012
Academic Editors: J. L. Gonzalez-Andujar, M. A. Taboada, and W. P. Williams
Copyright © 2012 Shahrzad Noroozi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Powles and D. Shaner, Herbicide Resistance and World Grain, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2001.
- H. S. Jacob, D. M. Minkey, R. S. Gallagher, and C. P. Borger, “Variation in postdispersal weed seed predation in a crop field,” Weed Science, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 148–155, 2006.
- A. S. Davis, P. M. Dixon, and M. Liebman, “Using matrix models to determine cropping system effects on annual weed demography,” Ecological Applications, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 655–668, 2004.
- A. Honek, P. Saska, and Z. Martinkova, “Seasonal variation in seed predation by adult carabid beetles,” Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2006.
- R. Nathan and R. Casagrandi, “A simple mechanistic model of seed dispersal, predation and plant establishment: Janzen-Connell and beyond,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 733–746, 2004.
- P. E. Hulme, “Post-dispersal seed predation: consequences for plant demography and evolution,” Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 32–46, 1998.
- F. D. Menalled, P. C. Marino, K. A. Renner, and D. A. Landis, “Post-dispersal weed seed predation in Michigan crop fields as a function of agricultural landscape structure,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 193–202, 2000.
- A. S. Davis, P. M. Dixon, and M. Liebman, “Cropping system effects on giant foxtail (Setaria faberi) demography: II. Retrospective perturbation analysis,” Weed Science, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 930–939, 2003.
- E. R. Gallandt, T. Molloy, R. P. Lynch, and F. A. Drummond, “Effect of cover-cropping systems on invertebrate seed predation,” Weed Science, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2005.
- P. R. Westerman, M. Liebman, F. D. Menalled, A. H. Heggenstaller, R. G. Hartzler, and P. M. Dixon, “Are many little hammers effective? Velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti) population dynamics in two- and four-year crop rotation systems,” Weed Science, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 382–392, 2005.
- A. H. Heggenstaller, F. D. Menalled, M. Liebman, and P. R. Westerman, “Seasonal patterns in post-dispersal seed predation of Abutilon theophrasti and Setaria faberi in three cropping systems,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 999–1010, 2006.
- M. E. O'Rourke, A. H. Heggenstaller, M. Liebman, and M. E. Rice, “Post-dispersal weed seed predation by invertebrates in conventional and low-external-input crop rotation systems,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 116, no. 3-4, pp. 280–288, 2006.
- P. R. Westerman, J. S. Wes, M. J. Kropff, and W. Van Der Werf, “Annual losses of weed seeds due to predation in organic cereal fields,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 824–836, 2003.
- P. E. Hulme, “Post-dispersal seed predation by small mammals,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium of the Zoological Society of London, vol. 65, pp. 269–287, 1993.
- P. E. Hulme, “Post-dispersal seed predation in grassland: its magnitude and sources of variation,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 645–652, 1994.
- G. E. Brust and G. J. House, “Weed seed destruction by arthropods and rodents in low -input soybean agroecosystems,” American Journal of Alternative Agriculture, vol. 3, pp. 19–35, 1988.
- S. K. Harrison, E. E. Regnier, and J. T. Schmoll, “Postdispersal predation of giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida) seed in no-tillage corn,” Weed Science, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 955–964, 2003.
- A. Honěk and V. Jarošík, “The role of crop density, seed and aphid presence in diversification of field communities of Carabidae (Coleoptera),” European Journal of Entomology, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 517–525, 2000.
- A. Honek and Z. Martinkova, “Aggregation of ground beetles Carabidae, (Coleoptera) on winter rape seeds dispersed on the ground,” Plant Protection Science, vol. 37, pp. 97–102, 2001.
- A. Honek, Z. Martinkova, and P. Saska, “Post-dispersal predation of Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) seed,” Journal of Ecology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 345–352, 2005.
- P. C. Marino, P. R. Westerman, C. Pinkert, and W. Van Der Werf, “Influence of seed density and aggregation on post-dispersal weed seed predation in cereal fields,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2005.
- M. F. Willson and C. J. Whelan, “Variation in postdispersal survival of vertebrate-dispersed seeds: effects of density, habitat, location, season, and species,” Oikos, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 191–198, 1990.
- D. S. Hammond, “Post-dispersal seed and seedling mortality of tropical dry forest trees after shifting agriculture,” Journal of Tropical Ecology, vol. 11, pp. 295–313, 1995.
- P. R. Westerman, A. Hofman, L. E. M. Vet, and W. Van Der Werf, “Relative importance of vertebrates and invertebrates in epigeaic weed seed predation in organic cereal fields,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 95, no. 2-3, pp. 417–425, 2003.
- C. M. Ghersa and M. A. Martínez-Ghersa, “Ecological correlates of weed seed size and persistence in the soil under different tilling systems: implications for weed management,” Field Crops Research, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 141–148, 2000.
- F. D. Menalled, R. G. Smith, J. T. Dauer, and T. B. Fox, “Impact of agricultural management on carabid communities and weed seed predation,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, vol. 118, no. 1–4, pp. 49–54, 2007.
- S. J. Willott, S. G. Compton, and L. D. Incoll, “Foraging, food selection and worker size in the seed harvesting ant Messor bouvieri,” Oecologia, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2000.
- A. A. Muñoz and L. A. Cavieres, “A multi-species assessment of post-dispersal seed predation in the central Chilean Andes,” Annals of Botany, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 193–201, 2006.
- C. S. Blaney and P. M. Kotanen, “Post-dispersal losses to seed predators: an experimental comparison of native and exotic old field plants,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 284–292, 2001.
- H. M. Alexander, C. L. Cummings, L. Kahn, and A. A. Snow, “Seed size variation and predation of seeds produced by wild and crop-wild sunflower,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 88, pp. 623–627, 2001.
- R. R. Forcella, G. Wilson, K. Renner et al., “Weed seed banks of the US cornbelt: magnitude, variation, emergence, and application,” Weed Science, vol. 40, pp. 636–644, 1992.
- L. Hughes and M. Westoby, “Removal rates of seeds adapted for dispersal by ants,” Ecology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 138–148, 1990.
- E. Gorb and S. Gorb, “Effects of seed aggregation on the removal rates of elaiosome-bearing Chelidonium majus and Viola odourata seeds carried by Formica polyctena ants,” Ecological Research, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 187–192, 2000.
- R. F. Norris, “Weed fecundity: current status and future needs,” Crop Protection, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 182–188, 2007.
- B. Hartzler, M. Liebman, and P. Westerman, “Weed Seed Predation in Agricultural Fields,” 2006, http://www.weeds.iastate.edu/mgmt/2006/seedpredation.pdf.