- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Polymer Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 463298, 7 pages
Tuning the Mechanical Properties of Tapioca Starch by Plasticizers, Inorganic Fillers and Agrowaste-Based Fillers
Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology, School of Chemical Science and Engineering, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Received 21 March 2012; Accepted 10 April 2012
Academic Editors: C. De Rosa, B. Hazer, J. Puiggali, and C. T. Ratnam
Copyright © 2012 Edwin Azwar and Minna Hakkarainen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Avérous, “Biodegradable multiphase systems based on plasticized starch: a review,” Journal of Macromolecular Science C, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 231–274, 2004.
- L. Averous and N. Boquillon, “Biocomposites based on plasticized starch: thermal and mechanical behaviours,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 111–122, 2004.
- N. Wang, X. Zhang, N. Han, and S. Bai, “Effect of citric acid and processing on the performance of thermoplastic starch/montmorillonite nano-composites,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2009.
- K. Dean, L. Yu, and D. Y. Wu, “Preparation and characterization of melt-extruded thermoplastic starch/clay nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 413–421, 2007.
- Y. He, W. Kong, W. Wang et al., “Modified natural halloysite/potato starch composite films,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, pp. 2706–2711, 2012.
- J. A. Mbey, S. Hoppe, and F. Thomas, “Cassava starch-kaolinite composite film, effect of clay content and modification on film properties,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 88, pp. 213–222, 2012.
- C. Zeppa, F. Gouanvé, and E. Espuche, “Effect of a plasticizer on the structure of biodegradable starch/clay nanocomposites: thermal, water-sorption, and oxygen-barrier properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 2044–2056, 2009.
- F. Chivrac, E. Pollet, P. Dole, and L. Avérous, “Starch-based nanobiocomposites: plasticizer impact on the montmorillonite exfoliation process,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 941–947, 2010.
- J. K. Pandey and R. P. Singh, “Green nanocomposites from renewable resources: effect of plasticizer on the structure and material properties of clay-filled starch,” Starch/Staerke, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 8–15, 2005.
- P. Kampeerapappun, D. Aht-ong, D. Pentrakoon, and K. Srikulkit, “Preparation of cassava starch/montmorillonite composite film,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 2007.
- K. M. Dean, M. D. Do, E. Petinakis, and L. Yu, “Key interactions in biodegradable thermoplastic starch/poly(vinyl alcohol)/montmorillonite micro- and nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1453–1462, 2008.
- A. Ueberschaer, M. E. Cagiao, R. K. Bayer, S. Henning, and F. J. Baltá Calleja, “Micromechanical properties of injection-molded starch-wood particle composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 4893–4899, 2006.
- M. Morreale, R. Scaffaro, A. Maio, and F. P. La Mantia, “Effect of adding wood flour to the physical properties of a biodegradable polymer,” Composites Part A, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 503–513, 2008.
- J. Duanmu, E. Kristofer Gamstedt, A. Pranovich, and A. Rosling, “Studies on mechanical properties of wood fiber reinforced cross-linked starch composites made from enzymatically degraded allylglycidyl ether-modified starch,” Composites Part A, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1409–1418, 2010.
- R. Zhao, P. Torley, and P. J. Halley, “Emerging biodegradable materials: starch- and protein-based bio-nanocomposites,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 3058–3071, 2008.
- A. E. S. Vercelheze, F. M. Fakhouri, L. H. Dall'Antônia et al., “Properties of baked foams based on cassava starch, sugarcane bagasse fibers and montmorillonite,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 1302–1310, 2012.
- E. Azwar, E. Vuorinen, and M. Hakkarainen, “Pyrolysis-GC-MS reveals important differences in hydrolytic degradation process of wood flour and rice bran filled polylactide composites,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 281–287, 2012.
- N. L. Garcia, L. Ribba, A. Dufresne, M. I. Aranguren, and S. Goyanes, “Physico-Mechanical properties of biodegradable starch nanocomposites,” Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. 169–177, 2009.