- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 469019, 5 pages
pH and Antimicrobial Activity of Portland Cement Associated with Different Radiopacifying Agents
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Araraquara Dental School, São Paulo State University (UNESP), 14801-385 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
Received 29 June 2012; Accepted 13 September 2012
Academic Editors: F. Cairo and D. Grenier
Copyright © 2012 Juliane Maria Guerreiro-Tanomaru et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Torabinejad and T. R. Pitt Ford, “Root end filling materials: a review,” Endodontics and Dental Traumatology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 161–178, 1996.
- M. Parirokh and M. Torabinejad, “Mineral trioxide aggregate: a comprehensive literature review—part I: chemical, physical, and antibacterial properties,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 16–27, 2010.
- M. Parirokh and M. Torabinejad, “Mineral trioxide aggregate: a comprehensive literature review—part III: clinical applications, drawbacks, and mechanism of action,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 400–413, 2010.
- L. A. Dreger, W. T. Felippe, J. F. Reyes-Carmona, G. S. Felippe, E. A. Bortoluzzi, and M. C. Felippe, “Mineral trioxide aggregate and portland cement promote biomineralization in vivo,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 324–329, 2012.
- M. G. de Oliveira, C. B. Xavier, F. F. Demarco, A. L. B. Pinheiro, A. T. Costa, and D. H. Pozza, “Comparative chemical study of MTA and Portland cements,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 3–7, 2007.
- K. S. Coomaraswamy, P. J. Lumley, and M. P. Hofmann, “Effect of bismuth oxide radioopacifier content on the material properties of an endodontic Portland cement-based (MTA-like) system,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 295–298, 2007.
- K. Asakura, H. Satoh, M. Chiba et al., “Genotoxicity studies of heavy metals: lead, bismuth, indium, silver and antimony,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 498–512, 2009.
- E. A. Bortoluzzi, J. M. Guerreiro-Tanomaru, M. Tanomaru-Filho, and M. A. H. Duarte, “Radiographic effect of different radiopacifiers on a potential retrograde filling material,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 628–632, 2009.
- A. L. Gomes Cornélio, L. P. Salles, M. Campos Da Paz, J. A. Cirelli, J. M. Guerreiro-Tanomaru, and M. Tanomaru Filho, “Cytotoxicity of Portland cement with different radiopacifying agents: a cell death study,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 203–210, 2011.
- G. De-Deus, V. Petruccelli, E. Gurgel-Filho, and T. Coutinho-Filho, “MTA versus Portland cement as repair material for furcal perforations: a laboratory study using a polymicrobial leakage model,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 293–298, 2006.
- M. Hasan Zarrabi, M. Javidi, M. Naderinasab, and M. Gharechahi, “Comparative evaluation of antimicrobial activity of three cements: new endodontic cement (NEC), mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) and Portland,” Journal of Oral Science, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 437–442, 2009.
- X. Zhu, Q. Wang, C. Zhang, G. S. P. Cheung, and Y. Shen, “Prevalence, phenotype, and genotype of Enterococcus faecalis isolated from saliva and root canals in patients with persistent apical periodontitis,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1950–1955, 2010.
- M. Nagayoshi, T. Nishihara, K. Nakashima, S. Iwaki, K. K. Chen, and M. Terashita, “Bactericidal effects of diode laser irradiation on Enterococcus faecalis using periapical lesion defect model,” ISRN Dentistry, vol. 2011, Article ID 870364, 2011.
- S. M. Ozbek, A. Ozbek, and A. S. Erdogan, “Analysis of Enterococcus faecalis in samples from Turkish patients with primary endodontic infections and failed endodontic treatment by real-time PCR SYBR green method,” Journal of Applied Oral Science, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 370–374, 2009.
- F. K. Çobankara, H. C. Altinöz, O. Erganiş, K. Kav, and S. Belli, “In vitro antibacterial activities of root-canal sealers by using two different methods,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 2004.
- C. Estrela, L. L. Bammann, F. C. Pimenta, and J. D. Pécora, “Control of microorganisms in vitro by calcium hydroxide pastes,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 341–345, 2001.
- E. Bodrumlu and T. Alaçam, “Evaluation of antimicrobial and antifungal effects of iodoform-integrating gutta-percha,” Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 733–733, 2006.
- R. S. Tobias, “Antibacterial properties of dental restorative materials: a review,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 155–160, 1988.
- J. M. Tanomaru, M. Tanomaru-Filho, J. Hotta, E. Watanabe, and I. Y. Ito, “Antimicrobial activity of endodontic sealers based on calcium hydroxide and MTA,” Acta Odontológica Latinoamericana, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 147–151, 2008.
- W. J. Begue and R. M. Kline, “The use of tetrazolium salts in bioauthographic procedures,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 182–184, 1972.
- M. R. Leonardo, L. A. B. Da Silva, M. Tanomaru Filho, K. C. Bonifácio, and I. Y. Ito, “In vitro evaluation of antimicrobial activity of sealers and pastes used in endodontics,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 391–394, 2000.
- C. R. Sipert, R. P. Hussne, C. K. Nishiyama, and S. A. Torres, “In vitro antimicrobial activity of Fill Canal, Sealapex, Mineral Trioxide Aggregate, Portland cement and EndoRez,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 539–543, 2005.
- M. A. Hungaro Duarte, A. C. C. De Oliveira Demarchi, J. C. Yamashita, M. C. Kuga, and S. De Campos Fraga, “pH and calcium ion release of 2 root-end filling materials,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 345–347, 2003.
- K. Al-Hezaimi, T. A. Al-Shalan, J. Naghshbandi, S. Oglesby, J. H. S. Simon, and I. Rotstein, “Antibacterial effect of two Mineral Trioxide Aggregate (MTA) preparations against Enterococcus faecalis and Streptococcus sanguis in vitro,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1053–1056, 2006.
- M. Zehnder, E. Söderling, J. Salonen, and T. Waltimo, “Preliminary evaluation of bioactive glass S53P4 as an endodontic medication in vitro,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 220–224, 2004.
- J. Camilleri, “Evaluation of the physical properties of an endodontic Portland cement incorporating alternative radiopacifiers used as root-end filling material,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 2010.
- C. P. McHugh, P. Zhang, S. Michalek, and P. D. Eleazer, “pH required to kill Enterococcus faecalis in vitro,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 218–219, 2004.
- C. Estrela, L. L. Bammann, C. R. Estrela, R. S. Silva, and J. D. Pécora, “Antimicrobial and chemical study of MTA, Portland cement, calcium hydroxide paste, Sealapex and Dycal,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2000.
- C. S. Ribeiro, F. A. Kuteken, R. Hirata, and M. F. Z. Scelza, “Comparative evaluation of antimicrobial action of MTA, calcium hydroxide and portland cement,” Journal of Applied Oral Science, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 330–333, 2006.
- D. M. Holt, J. D. Watts, T. J. Beeson, T. C. Kirkpatrick, and R. E. Rutledge, “The anti-microbial effect against Enterococcus faecalis and the compressive strength of two types of Mineral Trioxide Aggregate mixed with sterile water or 2% chlorhexidine liquid,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 844–847, 2007.
- M. E. Odabaş, Ç. Çinar, G. Akça, I. Araz, T. Ulusu, and H. Yücel, “Short-term antimicrobial properties of mineral trioxide aggregate with incorporated silver-zeolite,” Dental Traumatology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 189–194, 2011.