- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 492394, 9 pages
Potentials and Challenges of Kolanut Production in Niger State, Nigeria
1Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, Ibadan, Nigeria
2Department of Forest Resources Management, University of Ilorin, Ilorin 240003, Nigeria
Received 2 April 2012; Accepted 22 April 2012
Academic Editors: S. Thompson and S. Tsushima
Copyright © 2012 I. Ndagi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Quarcoo, A Handbook on Kola, CRIN, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1973.
- A. M. Daramola, Insect Pests of Cola in Nigeria (Research bulletin), vol. 3, CRIN, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1978.
- A. M. Daramola, “The biology of the kola weevils Balanogastris kolae on Cola acuminata and C. Verticilata,” Insect Science and Its Application, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 201–205, 1981.
- A. M. Daramola, “Studies on the control of Kolanut weevils. Balanogastis kolae and sophrorhinus Sp (coleopteran curculionidae),” Tropical Stored Products Information, vol. 46, pp. 11–16, 1983.
- C. L. M. van Eijatten, Kola, Its Botany and Cultivation, vol. 59 of Communication, Royal Tropical Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1969.
- O. Nzekwu, “Kola nut,” Nigeria Magazine, vol. 71, pp. 298–305, 1961.
- N. E. Egbe and O. Sobamiwa, “Utilization of cocoa, kola, coffee, cashew and tea in Nigeria,” in Progress in Tree Crop Research, pp. 217–224, CRIN, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1989.
- T. Quarcoo, “Development of koal and its future in Nigeria,” Proceedings of the Agricultural Society of Nigeria, vol. 6, 1969.
- V. J. Jacob, Yield characteristics, incompatibility and sterility studies in Cola nitida (Vent) Schott & Endlicher [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ibadan, 1973.
- O. A. Odegbaro, “Regeneration of old kola trees Cola nitida (Vent.) Schott & Endlicher by coppicing,” Turrialba, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 334–340, 1973.
- V. J. Jacob, “Self incompatibility of Cola nitida,” CRIN Annual Report, vol. 70, pp. 16–22, 1969.
- E. U. Asogwa, J. C. Anikwe, and F.C. Mokwunye, “Kola production and utilization for economic development,” African Scientist, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 217–222, 2006.
- L. K. Opeke, Tropical Commodity Tree Crops, Spectrum Books Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria, 2005.
- G. B. Beattie, “Soft drink flavours: their history and characteristics. 1: Cola for kola flavours,” The Flavour Industry, pp. 390–394, 1970.
- D. B. A. Ogutuga, “Chemical composition and potential commercial uses of kola nuts Cola nitida (Vent.) Schott & Endlicher,” Ghana Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 8, pp. 121–125, 1975.
- M. A. O. Oladokun, “Objectives and achievements in Kola propagation. Research paper presented at a symposium to mark the 21st Anniversary of the Establishment of CRIN,” 1985.
- Niger State, Online Nigeria. Community Portal of Nigeria, 2003, http://www.onlinenigeria.com/links/nigeradv.asp?blurb=335.
- E. U. Asogwa, A. H. Otuonye, F. C. Mokwunye, K. A. Oluyole, T. C. N. Ndubuaku, and E. O. Uwagboe, “Kolanut production, processing and marketing in the South-eastern states of Nigeria,” African Journal of Plant Science, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 547–551, 2011.
- A. M. Daramola and T. A. Taylor, “Studies on the reinfestation of kola in store by kola weevils in Southern Nigeria,” Journal of Stored Products Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 61–63, 1975.
- A. M. Daramola and T. A. Taylor, “A new species of weevil from Nigeria—sophrorhinus gbanjaensis (Coleoptera: curculionidae),” Journal of Natural History, vol. 9, pp. 397–402, 1975.
- A. M. Daramola, “Studies on the survival of the kola weevils between the seasons of kola production in southern Nigeria,” Turrialna, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 309–310, 1974.
- E. U. Asogwa, T. C. N. Ndubuaku, and I. U. Mokwunye, “Occurrence of storage pest of kolanuts across the kola growing belt of Nigeria,” Agricultural Journal, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 258–262, 2008.
- A. M. Daramola, The bionomics of kola weevils, Sophrorhinus spp (coleoptera: curculionidae) [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1973.
- W. Esther, A. M. Petu-Ibikunle, A. Audu, and Y. Y. Shallagwa, “Assessment of damage and losses to kolanuts caused by kolanut weevils Balanogastis kolae (Desbr) Coleoptera: curculionidae,” African Journal of General Agriculture, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 2010.
- M. F. Ivbijaro, “Gamma-BHC residues in kola nuts Cola nitida and control of the kola nuts weevil Balanogastris kolae Desbr,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1236–1238, 1977.
- A. Ojo, “Identification of insect pests of Kola,” Annual Report, Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1979.
- A. C. Odebode, Post harvest rot of kolanuts caused by Botryodiplodia therobromae and Fusarium pallidoroseum [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1990.
- S. O. Agbeniyi, H. A. Otuonye, and A. R. Adedeji, “Mycoflora associated with post harvest processing stages of kola nut (Cola nitida Vent Scott and Endlicher),” The Journal of Food Technology in Africa, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 129–131, 2000.
- L. N. Dongo, K. Manjula, and S. B. Orisajo, “Occurrence of ochratoxin A in Nigerian kola nuts,” in Proceedings of the African Crop Science Conference Proceedings, vol. 8, pp. 2133–2135, 2007.
- G. Boorman, “Ed NTP Technical report on the toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of ochratoxin A (CAS No. 303-47-9) in F344/N Rats (Gavage Studies) (NIH Publication No 89-2813),” Tech. Rep., National Toxicology program, U.S Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, 1989.
- H. D. Haubeck, G. Lorkowski, E. Koelsch, and R. Roeschenthaler, “Immunosuppression by ochratoxin A and its prevention by phenylalanine,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 1040–1042, 1981.
- S. Obrecht-Pflumio, T. Chassat, G. Dirheimer, and D. Marzin, “Genotoxicity of ochratoxin A by Salmonella mutagenicity test after bioactivation by mouse kidney microsomes,” Mutation Research, vol. 446, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 1999.
- K. Mayura, J. F. Edwards, E. A. Maull, and T. D. Phillips, “The effects of ochratoxin A on postimplantation rat embryos in culture,” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 411–415, 1989.
- M. Castegnaro, H. Bartsch, and I. Chernozemsky, “Endemic nephropathy and urinary tract tumors in the Balkans,” Cancer Research, vol. 47, no. 13, pp. 3608–3609, 1987.
- S. O. Agbeniyi and M. S. Ayodele, “Effect of storage moulds on the nutritional quality of kolanuts in Nigeria,” Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 512–515, 2010.
- S. O. Agbeniyi and B. Fawole, “Effect of curing and pre-storage dip treatments on the control of storage mould of kola nuts,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 47–49, 1999.
- O. A. Olunloyo, “Fungi associated with stored kola nuts,” Nigerian Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 1979.
- F. Waterberg, P. Craven, and L. Marais, Common World Flowers of the Okavango Delta, Shellfield Guide Series II, Gamsberg, 1989.
- F. M. Room, “The mistletoe.T bangwensis and Cocao in West Africa,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Cocoa Research Conference, pp. 522–527, Accra, Ghana, 1970.
- P. M. Room, “Some physiological aspect of the relation between cocoa (Theobroma cacao) and mistletoe. Theobroma bangwensis. (Engl. and K Krause),” Annals of Botany, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 169–174, 1971.