- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 513241, 6 pages
Locally Advanced Pancreatic Head Cancer: Margin-Positive Resection or Bypass?
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, University of Freiburg, Hugstetter Street 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Received 26 January 2012; Accepted 29 April 2012
Academic Editors: A. Parry and B. H. Yong
Copyright © 2012 Ulrich Friedrich Wellner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Gillen, T. Schuster, C. M. Z. Büschenfelde, H. Friess, and J. Kleeff, “Preoperative/neoadjuvant therapy in pancreatic cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of response and resection percentages,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 7, no. 4, 2010.
- E. F. Yekebas, D. Bogoevski, G. Cataldegirmen et al., “En bloc vascular resection for locally advanced pancreatic malignancies infiltrating major blood vessels: perioperative outcome and long-term survival in 136 patients,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 247, no. 2, pp. 300–309, 2008.
- H. Riediger, F. Makowiec, E. Fischer, U. Adam, and U. T. Hopt, “Postoperative morbidity and long-term survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy with superior mesenterico-portal vein resection,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 1106–1115, 2006.
- H. Lavu, A. A. Mascaro, D. R. Grenda et al., “Margin positive pancreaticoduodenectomy is superior to palliative bypass in locally advanced pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1937–1946, 2009.
- G. Fusai, N. Warnaar, C. A. Sabin, S. Archibong, and B. R. Davidson, “Outcome of R1 resection in patients undergoing pancreatico-duodenectomy for pancreatic cancer,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1309–1315, 2008.
- K. Kuhlmann, S. De Castro, T. Van Heek et al., “Microscopically incomplete resection offers acceptable palliation in pancreatic cancer,” Surgery, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 188–196, 2006.
- K. D. Lillemoe, J. L. Cameron, J. M. Hardacre et al., “Is prophylactic gastrojejunostomy indicated for unresectable periampullary cancer? A prospective randomized trial,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 322–330, 1999.
- K. D. Lillemoe, J. L. Cameron, C. J. Yeo et al., “Pancreaticoduodenectomy: does it have a role in the palliation of pancreatic cancer?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 223, no. 6, pp. 718–728, 1996.
- S. V. Shrikhande, J. Kleeff, C. Reiser et al., “Pancreatic resection for M1 pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 118–127, 2007.
- G. D. Kymionis, M. M. Konstadoulakis, E. Leandros et al., “Effect of curative versus palliative surgical treatment for stage III pancreatic cancer patients,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 231–235, 1999.
- L. A. Di Fronzo, J. Cymerman, S. Egrari, and T. X. O'Connell, “Unresectable pancreatic carcinoma: correlating length of survival with choice of palliative bypass,” American Surgeon, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 955–958, 1999.
- E. N. Scott, G. Garcea, H. Doucas, W. P. Steward, A. R. Dennison, and D. P. Berry, “Surgical bypass vs. endoscopic stenting for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 118–124, 2009.
- A. Schwarz and H. G. Beger, “Biliary and gastric bypass or stenting in nonresectable periampullary cancer: analysis on the basis of controlled trials,” International Journal of Pancreatology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2000.
- M. C. Taylor, R. S. McLeod, and B. Langer, “Biliary stenting versus bypass surgery for the palliation of malignant distal bile duct obstruction: a meta-analysis,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 302–308, 2000.
- I. Esposito, J. Kleeff, F. Bergmann et al., “Most pancreatic cancer resections are R1 resections,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1651–1660, 2008.
- N. B. Jamieson, A. K. Foulis, K. A. Oien et al., “Positive mobilization margins alone do not influence survival following pancreatico-duodenectomy for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 251, no. 6, pp. 1003–1010, 2010.
- K. V. Menon, D. Gomez, A. M. Smith, A. Anthoney, and C. S. Verbeke, “Impact of margin status on survival following pancreatoduodenectomy for cancer: the Leeds Pathology Protocol (LEEPP),” Journal of the International Hepato Pancreato Biliary Association, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 18–24, 2009.