- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 528737, 5 pages
Thermodynamic Derivation of the Fluctuation Theorem and Jarzynski Equality
Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6BB, UK
Received 14 February 2012; Accepted 15 March 2012
Academic Editors: M. Appell, C. Pierleoni, and Z. Slanina
Copyright © 2012 Maarten H. P. Ambaum. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Evans, E. G. D. Cohen, and G. P. Morriss, “Probability of second law violations in shearing steady states,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 71, no. 15, pp. 2401–2404, 1993.
- D. J. Evans and D. J. Searles, “The fluctuation theorem,” Advances in Physics, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1529–1585, 2002.
- C. Jarzynski, “Nonequilibrium equality for free energy differences,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 78, no. 14, pp. 2690–2693, 1997.
- C. E. Shannon and W. Weaver, A Mathematical Theory of Communication, The University of Illinois Press, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1963.
- R. T. Cox, The Algebra of Probable Inference, The Johns Hopkins University Press, Johns Hopkins, NJ, USA, 1961.
- E. T. Jaynes, Probability Theory: The Logic of Science, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- L. Onsager, “Statistical hydrodynamics,” Nuovo Cimento, Supplemento, vol. 6, pp. 279–287, 1949.
- R. Robert and J. Sommeria, “Statistical equilibrium states for two-dimensional flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 229, pp. 291–310, 1991.
- R. Baierlein, Thermal Physics, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- E. T. Jaynes, “Information theory and statistical mechanics,” The Physical Review, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 620–630, 1957.
- G. W. Paltridge, “Global dynamics and climate—a system of minimum entropy exchange,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 101, no. 429, pp. 475–484, 1975.
- H. Ozawa, A. Ohmura, R. D. Lorenz, and T. Pujol, “The second law of thermodynamics and the global climate system: a review of the maximum entropy production principle,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 1–24, 2003.
- A. Kleidon and R. D. Lorenz, Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics and the Production of Entropy: Life, Earth, and Beyond, Understanding Complex Systems, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- M. H. P. Ambaum, Thermal Physics of the Atmosphere, Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester, UK, 2010.
- S. Pascale, J. M. Gregory, M. H. P. Ambaum, R. Tailleux, and V. Lucarini, “Vertical and horizontal processes in the global atmosphere and the maximum entropy production conjecture,” Earth System Dynamics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 19–32, 2012.
- E. T. Jaynes, “Prior probabilities,” IEEE Transactions on Systems Science and Cybernetics, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 227–241, 1968.
- E. T. Jaynes, “Gibbs vs boltzmann entropies,” American Journal of Physics, vol. 5, pp. 391–398, 1965.
- D. Kondepudi and I. Prigogine, Modern Thermodynamics, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1998.
- G. E. Crooks, “Entropy production fluctuation theorem and the nonequilibrium work relation for free energy differences,” Physical Review E, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 2721–2726, 1999.
- S. Pascale, J. Gregory, M. Ambaum, and R. Tailleux, “Climate entropy budget of the hadcm3 atmosphere-ocean general circulation model and of famous, its low-resolution version,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 36, pp. 1189–1206, 2011.