- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 530179, 9 pages
Resection and Immunotherapy for Recurrent Grade III Glioma
1Department of Child & Women, University Hospital Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
2Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
3Department of Experimental Medicine, University Hospital Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
4Pediatric Hemato-Oncology, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Received 27 September 2011; Accepted 10 November 2011
Academic Editors: A. Rebollo and S. Vuckovic
Copyright © 2012 Iris Elens et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Ohgaki and P. Kleihues, “Epidemiology and etiology of gliomas,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 93–108, 2005.
- D. N. Louis, H. Ohgaki, O. D. Wiestler et al., “The 2007 WHO classification of tumours of the central nervous system,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 114, pp. 97–109, 2007.
- S. Pfister, C. Hartmann, and A. Korshunov, “Histology and molecular pathology of pediatric brain tumors,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1375–1386, 2009.
- G. Dresemann, “Temozolomide in malignant glioma,” Journal of OncoTargets and Therapy, vol. 3, pp. 139–146, 2010.
- M. K. Khan, G. K. Hunter, M. Vogelbaum, J. H. Suh, and S. T. Chao, “Evidence-based adjuvant therapy for gliomas: current concepts and newer developments,” Indian Journal of Cancer, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 96–107, 2009.
- R. A. Kristof, G. Neuloh, V. Hans et al., “Combined surgery, radiation, and PCV chemotherapy for astrocytomas compared to oligodendrogliomas and oligoastrocytomas WHO grade III,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 231–237, 2002.
- R. P. Sanders, M. Kocak, P. C. Burger, T. E. Merchant, A. Gajjar, and A. Broniscer, “High-grade astrocytoma in very young children,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 888–893, 2007.
- C. Balmaceda, D. Peereboom, S. Pannullo et al., “Multi-institutional phase II study of temozolomide administered twice daily in the treatment of recurrent high-grade gliomas,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1139–1146, 2008.
- S. M. Chang, P. Theodosopoulos, K. Lamborn et al., “Temozolomide in the treatment of recurrent malignant glioma,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 605–611, 2004.
- O. L. Chinot, S. Honore, H. Dufour et al., “Safety and efficacy of temozolomide in patients with recurrent anaplastic oligodendrogliomas after standard radiotherapy and chemotherapy,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 2449–2455, 2001.
- M. J. van den Bent, F. Keime-Guibert, A. A. Brandes et al., “Temozolomide chemotherapy in recurrent oligodendroglioma,” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 340–342, 2001.
- M. J. van den Bent, O. Chinot, W. Boogerd et al., “Second-line chemotherapy with temozolomide in recurrent oligodendroglioma after PCV (procarbazine, lomustine and vincristine) chemotherapy: EORTC Brain Tumor Group phase II study 26972,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 599–602, 2003.
- M. J. van den Bent, M. J. Taphoorn, A. A. Brandes et al., “Phase II study of first-line chemotherapy with temozolomide in recurrent oligodendroglial tumors: the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Brain Tumor Group Study 26971,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 13, pp. 2525–2528, 2003.
- W. K. Yung, M. D. Prados, R. Yaya-Tur et al., “Multicenter phase II trial of temozolomide in patients with anaplastic astrocytoma or anaplastic oligoastrocytoma at first relapse. Temodal Brain Tumor Group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 2762–2771, 1999.
- H. Ardon, B. Verbinnen, W. Maes, T. Beez, S. van Gool, and S. de Vleeschouwer, “Technical advancement in regulatory T cell isolation and characterization using CD127 expression in patients with malignant glioma treated with autologous dendritic cell vaccination,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 352, no. 1-2, pp. 169–173, 2010.
- W. Maes, C. Deroose, V. Reumers et al., “In vivo bioluminescence imaging in an experimental mouse model for dendritic cell based immunotherapy against malignant glioma,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 127–139, 2009.
- W. Maes, G. G. Rosas, B. Verbinnen et al., “DC vaccination with anti-CD25 treatment leads to long-term immunity against experimental glioma,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 529–542, 2009.
- H. Ardon, S. van Gool, I. S. Lopes et al., “Integration of autologous dendritic cell-based immunotherapy in the primary treatment for patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme: a pilot study,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 261–272, 2010.
- H. Ardon, S. de Vleeschouwer, F. van Calenbergh et al., “Adjuvant dendritic cell-based tumour vaccination for children with malignant brain tumours,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 519–525, 2010.
- S. de Vleeschouwer, S. Fieuws, S. Rutkowski et al., “Postoperative adjuvant dendritic cell-based immunotherapy in patients with relapsed glioblastoma multiforme,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 3098–3104, 2008.
- S. de Vleeschouwer, M. Rapp, R. V. Sorg et al., “Dendritic cell vaccination in patients with malignant gliomas: current status and future directions,” Neurosurgery, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 988–999, 2006.
- N. K. Foreman and A. M. Donson, “Tumor vaccination for malignant brain tumors,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 495–496, 2010.
- S. van Gool, W. Maes, H. Ardon, T. Verschuere, S. van Cauter, and S. de Vleeschouwer, “Dendritic cell therapy of high-grade gliomas,” Brain Pathology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 694–712, 2009.
- C. G. Drake, “Prostate cancer as a model for tumour immunotherapy,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. 580–593, 2010.
- S. van Gool, “The dendritic therapy with its potential applications in pancreatic cancer,” Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 338–343, 2009.
- H. van Poppel, S. Joniau, and S. W. van Gool, “Vaccine therapy in patients with renal cell carcinoma,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1333–1342, 2009.
- J. Weber, “Immunotherapy for melanoma,” Current Opinion in Oncology, vol. 23, pp. 163–169, 2011.
- J. M. Timmerman and R. Levy, “Dendritic cell vaccines for cancer immunotherapy,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 50, pp. 507–529, 1999.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- S. de Vleeschouwer, M. Arredouani, M. Adé et al., “Uptake and presentation of malignant glioma tumor cell lysates by monocyte-derived dendritic cells,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 372–382, 2005.
- S. de Vleeschouwer, F. van Calenbergh, P. Demaerel et al., “Transient local response and persistent tumor control in a child with recurrent malignant glioma: treatment with combination therapy including dendritic cell therapy: case report,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 492–497, 2004.
- S. Rutkowski, S. de Vleeschouwer, E. Kaempgen et al., “Surgery and adjuvant dendritic cell-based tumour vaccination for patients with relapsed malignant glioma, a feasibility study,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 1656–1662, 2004.
- R. K. Hales, O. Shokek, P. C. Burger et al., “Prognostic factors in pediatric high-grade astrocytoma: the importance of accurate pathologic diagnosis,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2010.
- H. Ohgaki and P. Kleihues, “Genetic alterations and signaling pathways in the evolution of gliomas,” Cancer Science, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 2235–2241, 2009.
- S. Nobusawa, T. Watanabe, P. Kleihues, and H. Ohgaki, “IDH1 mutations as molecular signature and predictive factor of secondary glioblastomas,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 19, pp. 6002–6007, 2009.
- H. Ohgaki, P. Dessen, B. Jourde et al., “Genetic pathways to glioblastoma: a population-based study,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 19, pp. 6892–6899, 2004.
- H. Yan, D. W. Parsons, G. Jin et al., “IDH1 and IDH2 mutations in gliomas,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 8, pp. 765–773, 2009.
- M. Eoli, F. Menghi, M. Bruzzone et al., “Methylation of O6-methylguanine DNA methytransferase and loss of heterozygosity on 19q and/or 17p are overlapping features of secondary glioblastomas with prolonged survival,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 2606–2613, 2007.
- “CTC criteria version 3.0. Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program, Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events version 3.0, DCTD, NCI, NIH, DHHS,” 2006.
- C. Lebrun, D. Fontaine, A. Ramaioli et al., “Long-term outcome of oligodendrogliomas,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1783–1787, 2004.
- H. Ohgaki and P. Kleihues, “Population-based studies on incidence, survival rates, and genetic alterations in astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomas,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 479–489, 2005.
- M. van den Bent, J. Kros, J. Heimans et al., “Response rate and prognostic factors of recurrent oligodendroglioma treated with procarbazine, CCNU, and vincristine chemotherapy. Dutch Neuro-oncology Group,” Neurology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1140–1145, 1998.
- A. Brandes, A. Tosoni, F. Vastola et al., “Efficacy and feasibility of standard procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine chemotherapy in anaplastic oligodendroglioma and oligoastrocytoma recurrent radiotherapy. A phase II study,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 2079–2085, 2004.