- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 580202, 8 pages
Characteristics and Prevalence of Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA)
1Department of Pharmacology, L. J. Institute of Pharmacy, Sarkhej Gandhinagar Highway, Gujarat, Ahmedabad 380015, India
2Department of Pharmacology, L. M. College of Pharmacy, Navrangpura, Gujarat, Ahmedabad 380009, India
3Department of Endocrinology, Dia-Care Clinic, 2 Gandhi Park, Nehrunagar, Gujarat, Ahmedabad 380015, India
4Department of Pharmacology SPP School of Pharmacy & Technology Management, Mumbai 400056, India
Received 27 November 2011; Accepted 9 January 2012
Academic Editors: S. Cuzzocrea and K. Wada
Copyright © 2012 Priyanka P. Brahmkshatriya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Diamond, “Diabetes running wild,” Nature, vol. 357, no. 6377, pp. 362–363, 1992.
- P. Z. Zimmet, “The pathogenesis and prevention of diabetes in adults: genes, autoimmunity, and demography,” Diabetes Care, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1050–1064, 1995.
- R. D. Leslie and C. Valeri, “Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults,” Diabetes Voice, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 39–42, 2003.
- B. Isomaa, P. Almgren, M. Henricsson et al., “Chronic complications in patients with slowly progressing autoimmune type 1 diabetes (LADA),” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1347–1353, 1999.
- World Health Organization, Definition, Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus and its Complications. Report of a WHO Consultation, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1999.
- P. Zimmet, R. Turner, D. McCarty, M. Rowley, and I. Mackay, “Crucial points at diagnosis: type 2 diabetes or slow type 1 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, supplement 2, pp. B59–B64, 1999.
- P. Pozzilli and U. Di Mario, “Autoimmune diabetes not requiring insulin at diagnosis (latent autoimmune diabetes off the adult): definition, characterization, and potential prevention,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1460–1467, 2001.
- A. Falorni and F. Calcinaro, “Autoantibody profile and epitope mapping in latent autoimmune diabetes in adults,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 958, pp. 99–106, 2002.
- M. Landin-Olsson, “Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 958, pp. 112–116, 2002.
- L. Wolfe, 2006, http://www.isletsofhope.com.
- S. Carlsson, K. Midthjell, and V. Grill, “Influence of family history of diabetes on incidence and prevalence of latent autoimmune diabetes of the adult: results from the Nord-Trøndelag health study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 3040–3045, 2007.
- K. G. Alberti and P. Z. Zimmet, “Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Provisional report of a WHO consultation,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 539–553, 1998.
- J. A. Scarlett, M. E. Mako, A. H. Rubenstein, et al., “Factitious hypoglycemia. Diagnosis by measurement of serum C-peptide immunoreactivity and insulin-binding antibodies,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 297, no. 19, pp. 1029–1032, 1977.
- M. J. Clare-Salzler, A. J. Tobin, and D. L. O. Kaufman, “Glutamate decarboxylase: an autoantigen in IDDM,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 132–135, 1992.
- S. Wild, G. Roglic, A. Green, R. Sicree, and H. King, “Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 1047–1053, 2004.
- H. Basavanagowdappa, A. K. Prabhakar, P. Prasannaraj, K. C. Gurudev, and V. Suma, “Study of prevalence of diabetes mellitus and impaired fasting glucose in a rural population,” International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 98–101, 2005.
- S. Fourlanos, F. Dotta, C. J. Greenbaum et al., “Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) should be less latent,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 2206–2212, 2005.
- R. Turner, I. Stratton, V. Horton et al., “UKPDS 25: autoantibodies to islet-cell cytoplasm and glutamic acid decarboxylase for prediction of insulin requirement in type 2 diabetes,” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9087, pp. 1288–1293, 1997.
- T. Tuomi, Å. Carlsson, H. Li et al., “Clinical and genetic characteristics of type 2 diabetes with and without GAD antibodies,” Diabetes, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 150–157, 1999.
- H. A. Castleden, B. Shields, P. J. Bingley et al., “GAD antibodies in probands and their relatives in a cohort clinically selected for Type 2 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 834–838, 2006.
- American Diabetes Association, “Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, 1, pp. S43–S48, 2006.
- B. Mlinar, J. Marc, A. Janež, and M. Pfeifer, “Molecular mechanisms of insulin resistance and associated diseases,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 375, no. 1-2, pp. 20–35, 2007.
- G. Biesenbach, M. Auinger, M. Clodi et al., “Prevalence of LADA and frequency of GAD antibodies in diabetic patients with end-stage renal disease and dialysis treatment in Austria,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 559–565, 2005.
- B. Panunti, A. A. Jawa, and V. A. Fonseca, “Mechanisms and therapeutic targets in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 151–157, 2004.
- American Diabetic Association, “Standards of medical care in diabetes-2007,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, 1, no. S4, p. S41, 2007.
- L. Groop, G. F. Bottazzo, and D. Doniach, “Islet cell antibodies identify latent type I diabetes in patients aged 35–75 years at diagnosis,” Diabetes, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 237–241, 1986.
- A. Kasuga, T. Maruyama, Y. Ozawa et al., “Antibody to the Mr 65,000 isoform of glutamic acid decarboxylase are detected in non-insulin-dependent diabetes in Japanese,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 105–111, 1996.
- A. Gottsater, M. Landin-Olsson, A. Lernmark, P. Fernlund, and G. Sundkvist, “Islet cell antibodies are associated with β-cell failure also in obese adult onset diabetic patients,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 226–231, 1994.
- R. A. DeFronzo, “Pathogenesis of type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellits: a balanced overview,” Diabetologia, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 389–397, 1992.
- D. Porte Jr., “Banting lecture 1990. Beta-cells in type II diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes, vol. 40, pp. 166–180, 1991.
- E. F. Lampeter, M. Homberg, K. Quabeck et al., “Transfer of insulin-dependent diabetes between HLA-identical siblings by bone marrow transplantation,” The Lancet, vol. 341, no. 8855, pp. 1243–1244, 1993.