- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 591541, 8 pages
Evaluation of Nurses’ Perceptions on Providing Patient Decision Support with Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Received 12 September 2012; Accepted 5 October 2012
Academic Editors: R. Constantino, A. Green, R. C. Locsin, V. Lohne, and M. Miyashita
Copyright © 2012 Nicole Pyl and Prudy Menard. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- College of Nurses of Ontario, Guiding decisions about end of life care, 2009, http://www.cno.org/Global/docs/prac/43001_Resuscitation.pdf.
- C. Frank, D. K. Heyland, B. Chen, D. Farquhar, K. Myers, and K. Iwaasa, “Determining resuscitation preferences of elderly inpatients: a review of the literature,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 169, no. 8, pp. 795–799, 2003.
- D. K. Heyland, D. J. Cook, G. M. Rocker et al., “Defining priorities for improving end-of-life care in Canada,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 182, no. 16, pp. E747–E752, 2010.
- M. A. Murray, T. Miller, V. Fiset, A. O'Connor, and M. J. Jacobsen, “Decision support: helping patients and families to find a balance at the end of life,” International Journal of Palliative Nursing, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 270–277, 2004.
- Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, Decision Support for Adults Living with Chronic Kidney Disease, Toronto, Canada, 2009.
- D. K. Heyland, C. Frank, D. Groll et al., “Understanding cardiopulmonary resuscitation decision making: perspectives of seriously III hospitalized patients and family members,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 419–428, 2006.
- D. K. Heyland, J. Tranmer, and D. Feldman-Stewart, “End-of-life decision making in the seriously Ill hospitalized patient: an organizing framework and results of a preliminary study,” Journal of Palliative Care, vol. 16, pp. S31–S39, 2000.
- J. Liddle, C. Gilleard, and A. Neil, “Elderly patients' and their relatives' views on CPR,” The Lancet, vol. 342, no. 8878, p. 1055, 1993.
- D. W. Frost, D. J. Cook, D. K. Heyland, and R. A. Fowler, “Patient and healthcare professional factors influencing end-of-life decision-making during critical illness: a systematic review,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1174–1189, 2011.
- A. M. O'Connor, P. Tugwell, G. A. Wells et al., “A decision aid for women considering hormone therapy after menopause: decision support framework and evaluation,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 267–279, 1998.
- A. M. O'Connor, C. Bennett, D. Stacey et al., “Do patient decision aids meet effectiveness criteria of the international patient decision aid standards collaboration? A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Medical Decision Making, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 554–574, 2007.
- A. M. O'Connor, C. L. Bennett, D. Stacey et al., “Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, p. CD001431, 2009.
- D. Stacey, I. D. Graham, A. M. O'Connor, and M. P. Pomey, “Barriers and facilitators influencing call center nurses' decision support for callers facing values-sensitive decisions: a mixed methods study,” Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 184–195, 2005.
- C. Frank, D. Pichora, J. Suurdt, and D. Heyland, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): A Decision Aid For KGH Patients And Their Families, 2010, http://www.thecarenet.ca/docs/CPRDecisionAid.pdf.
- C. Frank, D. Pichora, J. Suurdt, and D. Heyland, “Development and use of a decision aid for communication with hospitalized patients about cardiopulmonary resuscitation preference,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 130–133, 2010.
- V. A. Entwistle and I. S. Watt, “Patient involvement in treatment decision-making: the case for a broader conceptual framework,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 268–278, 2006.
- F. Légaré, S. Ratté, D. Stacey et al., “Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, p. CD006732, 2010.
- Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Decision Support Framework (ODSF), 2011, http://decisionaid.ohri.ca/odsf.html.
- A. M. O'Connor and M. J. Jacobsen, Decisional conflict: supporting people experiencing uncertainty about options affecting their health. 2007, https://decisionaid.ohri.ca/ODST/pdfs/DC_Reading.pdf.
- F. Légaré, S. Turcotte, D. Stacey et al., “Interventions for improving the adoption of shared decision making by healthcare professionals,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, p. CD006732, 2010.
- A. M. O'Connor, A. Rostom, V. Fiset et al., “Decision aids for patients facing health treatment or screening decisions: systematic review,” British Medical Journal, vol. 319, no. 7212, pp. 731–734, 1999.
- A. O'Connor, “Using patient decision aids to promote evidence-based decision making,” Evidence-Based Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 100–102, 2001.
- K. Gravel, F. Légaré, and I. D. Graham, “Barriers and facilitators to implementing shared decision-making in clinical practice: a systematic review of health professionals' perceptions,” Implementation Science, vol. 1, no. 1, article 16, 2006.
- F. Légaré, A. M. O'Connor, I. D. Graham et al., “Primary health care professionals' views on barriers and facilitators to the implementation of the Ottawa Decision Support Framework in practice,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 380–390, 2006.
- M. A. Murray, K. Wilson, J. Kryworuchko, D. Stacey, and A. O'Connor, “Nurses' perceptions of factors influencing patient decision support for place of care at the end of life,” The American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 254–263, 2009.
- M. A. Murray, A. O'Connor, D. Stacey, and K. G. Wilson, “Efficacy of a training intervention on the quality of practitioners' decision support for patients deciding about place of care at the end of life: a randomized control trial: study protocol,” BMC Palliative Care, vol. 7, no. 1, article 4, 2008.
- Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Decision Support Tutorial, 2011, https://decisionaid.ohri.ca/ODST/.
- R. L. Keeny and H. Raiffa, Decisions with Multiple Objectives: Preferences and Tradeoffs, John Wiley and Sons, Toronto, Canada, 1976.
- A. Tversky and D. Kahneman, “The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice,” Science, vol. 211, no. 4481, pp. 453–458, 1981.
- I. Ajzen and M. Fishbein, Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behaviour, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1980.
- I. L. Janis and L. Mann, Decision Making: A Psychological Analysis of Conflict, Choice and Commitment, Free Press, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- J. S. Norbeck, “Social support,” Annual Review of Nursing Research, vol. 6, pp. 85–109, 1988.
- D. E. Orem, Nursing Concepts and Principles, Mosby, Toronto, Canada, 5th edition, 1995.
- A. Cranney, A. M. O'Connor, M. J. Jacobsen et al., “Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for postmenopausal women with osteoporosis,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 2002.
- A. M. O'Connor, “Using decision aids to help patients navigate the “grey zone” of medical decision-making,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 176, no. 11, pp. 1597–1598, 2007.
- C. Charles, A. Gafni, and T. Whelan, “Self-reported use of shared decision-making among breast cancer specialists and perceived barriers and facilitators to implementing this approach,” Health Expectations, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 338–348, 2004.
- M. A. Murray, D. Stacey, K. G. Wilson, and A. M. O'Connor, “Skills training to support patients considering place of end-of-life care: a randomized control trial,” Journal of Palliative Care, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 112–121, 2010.
- I. D. Graham, J. Logan, A. O'Connor et al., “A qualitative study of physicians' perceptions of three decision aids,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 279–283, 2003.
- P. Montgomery and P. H. Bailey, “Field notes and theoretical memos in grounded theory,” Western Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 65–79, 2007.
- J. Haber, G. LoBiondo-Wood, C. Cameron, and M. D. Singh, Nursing Research in Canada: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, Elsevier, Toronto, Canada, 2nd edition, 2009.
- B. Davies and J. Logan, Reading Research: A User-Friendly Guide for Nurses and Other Health Professionals, Mosby, Toronto, Canada, 4th edition, 2008.
- F. J. Gravetter and L. B. Wallnau, Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences, Thomson/Wadsworth, Belmont, Calif, USA, 7th edition, 2007.
- B. H. Munro, Statistical Methods for Health Care Research, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2005.
- D. Stacey, M. A. Murray, F. Légaré, D. Sandy, P. Menard, and A. O'Connor, “Decision coaching to support shared decision making: a framework, evidence, and implications for nursing practice, education, and policy,” Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2008.