- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Communications and Networking
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 607825, 13 pages
Spectrum-Efficient Cognitive Radio Transceiver Using Multiwavelet Filters
Centre for Multimedia and Network Technology, School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 31 May 2012
Academic Editors: H. Ikeda and C. Yang
Copyright © 2012 Manju Mathew et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Haykin, “Cognitive radio: brain-empowered wireless communications,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 201–220, 2005.
- T. A. Weiss and F. K. Jondral, “Spectrum pooling: an innovative strategy for the enhancement of spectrum efficiency,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. S8–S14, 2004.
- I. F. Akyildiz, W. Y. Lee, M. C. Vuran, and S. Mohanty, “NeXt generation/dynamic spectrum access/cognitive radio wireless networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 50, no. 13, pp. 2127–2159, 2006.
- C. Carlos, K. Challapali, D. Birru, and S. Shankar, “IEEE 802.22: an introduction to the first wireless standard based on cognitive radios,” Journal on Communications, vol. 1, no. 1, 2006.
- J. Y. Won, S. B. Shim, Y. H. Kim, S. H. Hwang, M. S. Song, and C. J. Kim, “An adaptive OFDMA platform for IEEE 802.22 based on cognitive radio,” in Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC '06), August 2006.
- A. M. Wygliski, M. Nekovee, and Y. T. Hou, Cognitive Radio Communications and Networks: Principle and Practice, Academic Press, 2010.
- A. Jamin and P. Mähönen, “Wavelet packet modulation for wireless communications,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 123–137, 2005.
- M. K. Lakshmanan, I. Budiarjo, and H. Nikookar, “Maximally frequency selective wavelet packets based multi-carrier modulation scheme for cognitive radio systems,” in Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '07), pp. 4185–4189, November 2007.
- D. Karamehmedović, M. K. Lakshmanan, and H. Nikookar, “Performance evaluation of WPMCM with carrier frequency offset and phase noise,” Journal of Communications, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 496–508, 2009.
- M. Baro and J. Ilow, “Multi-band wavelet-based spectrum agile communications for cognitive radio secondary user communication,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting, Broadband Multimedia Symposium (BMSB '08), March 2008.
- H. Nikookar and M. K. Lakshmanan, “Comparison of sensitivity of OFDM and wavelet packet modulation to time synchronization error,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 19th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '08), September 2008.
- M. K. Lakshmanan, D. D. Ariananda, and H. Nikookar, “Cognitive radio transmission and spectrum sensing using a wavelet packet transceiver,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 20th Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications Symposium, (PIMRC '09), September 2009.
- M. Mathew, A. B. Premkumar, and C. T. Lau, “Multiple access scheme for multi user Cognitive Radio based on wavelet transforms,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 71st Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '10), May 2010.
- V. Strela, Multiwavelets: theory and applications [Ph.D. thesis], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1996.
- V. Strela, P. N. Heller, G. Strang, P. Topiwala, and C. Heil, “The application of multiwavelet filterbanks to image processing,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 548–563, 1999.
- B. Behera, “Multiwavelet packets and frame packets of L2(ℝd),” Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 439–463, 2001.
- G. Strang and V. Strela, “Short wavelets and matrix dilation equations,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 108–115, 1995.
- J. S. Geronimo, D. P. Hardin, and P. R. Massopust, “Fractal functions and wavelet expansions based on several scaling functions,” Journal of Approximation Theory, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 373–401, 1994.
- C. Chui and J. Lian, A Study of Orthonormal Multiwavelets, Centre for Approximation Theory, 1995.
- Q. T. Jiang, “On the design of multifilter banks and orthonormal multiwavelet bases,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 3292–3303, 1998.
- Y. Shouzhi, “A fast algorithm for constructing orthogonal multiwavelets,” ANZIAM Journal, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 185–201, 2004.
- M. L. You and J. Ilow, “An application of multi-wavelet packets in digital communications,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research, pp. 10–18, May 2004.
- M. You and J. Ilow, “Adaptive multi-wavelet packet modulation for channels with time-frequency localized interference,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 6th Circuits and Systems Symposium on Emerging Technologies: Frontiers of Mobile and Wireless Communication, pp. 441–444, June 2004.
- X. H. Yan and G. Z. Liu, “Multiwavelet packet based ofdm system,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems, SoC Design for Ubiquitous Information Technology (APCCAS '04), pp. 681–684.
- A. H. Kattoush, W. A. Mahmoud, and S. Nihad, “The performance of multiwavelets based OFDM system under different channel conditions,” Digital Signal Processing, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 472–482, 2010.
- D. D. Ariananda, M. K. Lakshmanan, and H. Nikookar, “A study on application of wavelets and filter banks for cognitive radio spectrum estimation,” in Proceedings of the 2nd European Wireless Technology Conference (EuWIT '09), pp. 218–221, September 2009.
- D. Cabric, S. M. Mishra, and R. W. Brodersen, “Implementation issues in spectrum sensing for cognitive radios,” in Conference Record of the 38th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, pp. 772–776, November 2004.
- T. Yücek and H. Arslan, “A survey of spectrum sensing algorithms for cognitive radio applications,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 116–130, 2009.
- B. Farhang-Boroujeny, “Filter bank spectrum sensing for cognitive radios,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1801–1811, 2008.
- Y. Youngwoo, J. Hyoungsuk, J. Hoiyoon, and L. Hyuckjae, “Discrete wavelet packet transform based energy detector for cognitive radios,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '07), pp. 2641–2645, April 2007.
- Y. Hur, J. Park, W. Woo et al., “A wideband analog Multi-Resolution Spectrum Sensing (MRSS) technique for cognitive radio (CR) systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS '06), pp. 4090–4093, May 2006.
- L. C. Wang, C. W. Wang, Y. C. Lu, and C. M. Liu, “A concurrent transmission MAC protocol for enhancing throughout and avoiding spectrum sensing in cognitive radio,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '07), pp. 121–126, Hong Kong, China, March 2007.
- Y. Zeng and Y. C. Liang, “Maximum-minimum eigenvalue detection for cognitive radio,” in Proceedings of the 18th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '07), September 2007.
- Z. Lei and F. Chin, “A reliable and power efficient beacon structure for cognitive radio systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '08), pp. 2038–2042, May 2008.
- H. Arslan and T. Yucek, “Spectrum sensing for cognitive radio applications,,” in Cognitive Radio, Software Defined Radio, and AdaptiveWireless Systems, H. Arslan, Ed., Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- Y. Zeng and Y. C. Liang, “Eigenvalue-based spectrum sensing algorithms for cognitive radio,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1784–1793, 2009.
- Z. Quan, S. J. Shellhammer, W. Zhang, and A. H. Sayed, “Spectrum sensing by cognitive radios at very low SNR,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '09), pp. 1–6, November 2009.
- M. Morelli, C. C. J. Kuo, and M. O. Pun, “Synchronization techniques for orthogonal frequency division multiple access (OFDMA): a tutorial review,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 1394–1427, 2007.
- G. Strang and T. Nguyen, Wavelets and Filter Banks, Wellesley Cambridge Press, 1996.