- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Computer Graphics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 609234, 10 pages
Hyperbolic Wheel: A Novel Hyperbolic Space Graph Viewer for Hierarchical Information Content
1Department of Computer Science, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
2The SOCR Resource (BH 9432), Department of Statistics, University of California, 8125 Mathematical Sciences Building, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554, USA
Received 13 September 2012; Accepted 1 October 2012
Academic Editors: Y. Okada and G. Patanè
Copyright © 2012 Ho-Ching Lam and Ivo D. Dinov. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. J. Schulz and H. Schumann, “Visualizing graphs—a generalized view,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Visualization (IV '06), pp. 166–173, July 2006.
- S. E. Kruck, F. Teer, and W. A. Christian, “GSLAP: a graph-based web analysis tool,” Industrial Management and Data Systems, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 162–172, 2008.
- J. A. Walter, “H-MDS: a new approach for interactive visualization with multidimensional scaling in the hyperbolic space,” Information Systems, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 273–292, 2004.
- J. Ontrup and H. Ritter, “Large-scale data exploration with the hierarchically growing hyperbolic SOM,” Neural Networks, vol. 19, no. 6-7, pp. 751–761, 2006.
- F. Van Ham and J. J. Van Wijk, “Interactive visualization of small world graphs,” in Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (InfoVis '04), pp. 199–206, October 2004.
- C. Chen, “Top 10 unsolved information visualization problems,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 12–16, 2005.
- I. Herman, G. Melancon, and M. S. Marshall, “Graph visualization and navigation in information visualization: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 24–43, 2000.
- D. A. Keim, “Information visualization and visual data mining,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2002.
- S. Card, J. D. MacKinlay, and B. Shneiderman, “Information visualization,” in Human-Computer Interaction: Design Issues, Solutions, and Applications, p. 181, 2009.
- J. Han, M. Kamber, and J. Pei, Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, Morgan Kaufmann, 2011.
- B. Johnson and B. Shneiderman, “Tree-maps: a space-filling approach to the visualization of hierarchical information structures,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Visualization, pp. 284–291, 1991.
- D. Holten and J. J. Van Wijk, Force‐Directed Edge Bundling for Graph Visualization, Wiley Online Library, 2009.
- N. Elmqvist and J. D. Fekete, “Hierarchical aggregation for information visualization: overview, techniques, and design guidelines,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 439–454, 2010.
- T. Munzner, “A nested model for visualization design and validation,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 921–928, 2009.
- K. Nazemi, M. Breyer, and C. Hornung, “SeMap: a concept for the visualization of semantics as mapsuniversal access,” in Human-Computer Interaction, C. Stephanidis, Ed., Applications and Services, pp. 83–91, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2009.
- J. Lamping and R. Rao, “Laying out and visualizing large trees using a hyperbolic space,” in Proceedings of the 7th annual ACM symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST '94), pp. 13–114, 1994.
- J. Lamping and R. Rao, “The hyperbolic browser: a focus 1 context technique for visualizing large hierarchies,” Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–55, 1996.
- T. Munzner, “H3: laying out large directed graphs in 3D hyperbolic space,” in Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization, pp. 2–10, October 1997.
- T. Munzner, “Exploring large graphs in 3D hyperbolic space,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 18–23, 1998.
- T. Munzner, Drawing Large Graphs With H3viewer and Site Manager, Springer, 1998.
- J. Weeks, “Real-time rendering in curved spaces,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 90–99, 2002.
- C. Collins, S. Carpendale, and G. Penn, “DocuBurst: visualizing document content using language structure,” Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1039–1046, 2009.
- Y. Jing, M. O. Ward, and E. A. Rundensteiner, “InterRing: an interactive tool for visually navigating and manipulating hierarchical structures,” in Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (INFOVIS '02), pp. 77–84.
- J. Zhang, Y. Zhang, L. Fu, et al., “Coaxial interactive viewer: a multi-dimensional data visualization with spatial distortional views,” in Proceedings of the Visual Information Communication—International Symposium (VINCI '11), ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- J. Stasko and E. Zhang, “Focus+context display and navigation techniques for enhancing radial, space-filling hierarchy visualizations,” in IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (INFOVIS '00), pp. 57–65, October 2000.
- C. Stab, M. Breyer, K. Nazemi, et al., “SemaSun: visualization of semantic knowledge based on an improved sunburst visualization metaphor,” in Proceedings of the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (ED-Media), pp. 911–919, 2010.
- J. Abello, F. Van Ham, and N. Krishnan, “ASK-GraphView: a large scale graph visualization system,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 669–676, 2006.
- E. Pietriga and C. Appert, “Sigma lenses: focus-context transitions combining space, time and translucence,” in Proceedings of the 26th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '08), pp. 1343–1352, ACM, April 2008.
- C. Tominski, J. Abello, F. Van Ham, and H. Schumann, “Fisheye tree views and lenses for graph visualization,” in Proceedings of the Information Visualization (IV '06), pp. 17–24, July 2006.
- W. Cui, H. Zhou, H. Qu, P. C. Wong, and X. Li, “Geometry-based edge clustering for graph visualization,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1277–1284, 2008.
- N. Elmqvis, T. N. Do, H. Goodell, N. Henry, and J. D. Fekete, “ZAME: interactive large-scale graph visualization,” in Proceedings of the Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis '08), pp. 215–222, March 2008.
- D. Holten, “Hierarchical edge bundles: visualization of adjacency relations in hierarchical data,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 741–748, 2006.
- D. S. Kim, I. K. Hwang, and B. J. Park, “Representing the Voronoi diagram of a simple polygon using rational quadratic Bézier curves,” Computer-Aided Design, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 605–614, 1995.
- A. A. Ungar, “The hyperbolic pythagorean theorem in the Poincaré disc model of hyperbolic geometry,” American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 759–763, 1999.
- L. John and R. Ramana, “Laying out and visualizing large trees using a hyperbolic space,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, ACM, Marina del Rey, Calif, USA, 1994.
- J. W. Anderson, Hyperbolic Geometry, Springer, 2005.
- J. Lamping and R. Rao, “The hyperbolic browser: a focus+ context technique for visualizing large hierarchies,” in Readings in Information Visualisation Using Vision To Think, K. C. Stuart, D. M. Jock, and S. Ben, Eds., pp. 381–408, 1999.
- M. Jin, F. Luo, and X. Gu, “Cornputing surface hyperbolic structure and real projective structure,” in Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling (SPM '06), pp. 105–116, June 2005.
- Y. Shavitt and T. Tankel, “Hyperbolic embedding of internet graph for distance estimation and overlay construction,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 2008.
- J. Brusey and L. Padgham, “Techniques for obtaining robust, real-time, colour-based vision for robotics,” in RoboCup 1999, vol. 1856 of Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, Springer, 2000.
- I. D. Dinov, D. Rubin, W. Lorensen et al., “iTools: a framework for classification, categorization and integration of computational biology resources,” PLoS ONE, vol. 3, no. 5, Article ID e2265, 2008.
- I. Dinov and N. Christou, “Web-based tools for modelling and analysis of multivariate data: California ozone pollution activity,” International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 789–7829, 2011.
- N. Christou and I. D. Dinov, “Confidence interval based parameter estimation-a new SOCR applet and activity,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19178, 2011.