- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 636898, 10 pages
Design Optimisation of Lower-Bound Buckling Capacities for FRP-Laminated Cylindrical Shells
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Received 25 October 2011; Accepted 1 December 2011
Academic Editor: W.-H. Steeb
Copyright © 2012 Hongtao Wang and James G. A. Croll. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. S. Nshanian and M. Pappas, “Optimal laminated composite shells for buckling and vibration,” AIAA journal, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 430–437, 1983.
- J. Onoda, “Optimal laminate configuration of cylindrical shells for axial buckling,” AIAA journal, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1093–1098, 1985.
- G. Sun and J. S. Hansen, “Optimal design of laminated composite circular-cylindrical shells subject to combined loads,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions ASME, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 136–142, 1988.
- H. Fukunaga and G. N. Vanderplaats, “Stiffness optimization of orthotropic laminated composites using lamination parameters,” AIAA journal, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 641–646, 1991.
- C. G. Diaconu and H. Sekine, “Layup optimization for buckling of laminated composite shells with restricted layer angles,” AIAA Journal, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 2153–2163, 2004.
- R. C. Tennyson and J. S. Hansen, “Optimum design for buckling of laminated cylinders,” in IUTAM Symp. on Collapse: The Buckling of Structures in Theory and Practice, J. M.T. Thompson and G. W. Hunt, Eds., pp. 409–429, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1982.
- M. D. Pandey and A. N. Sherbourne, “Imperfection sensitivity of optimized, laminated composite shells: a physical approach,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1575–1595, 1991.
- J. G. A. Croll, “Towards a rationally based elastic-plastic shell buckling design methodology,” Thin-Walled Structures, vol. 23, no. 1–4, pp. 67–84, 1995.
- R. M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materials, Taylor & Francis, 2nd edition, 1999.
- S. Yamada, N. Yamamoto, J. G. A. Croll, and P. Bounkhong, “Local buckling criteria of thin-walled FRP circular cylinders under compression,” in Proceedings of the International Colloquium on Application of FRP to Bridges, (ICAFB'06), Tokyo, Japan, 2006.
- H. Wang and J. G. A. Croll, “Optimising buckling capacities for composite shells,” in Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Computational Mechanics-Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems in Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, 2006.