- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 671879, 6 pages
Common Perceptions of Periodontal Health and Illness among Adults: A Qualitative Study
1Department of Community Oral Health, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 1439955991, Tehran, Iran
2Department of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 41, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
3Department of Community Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, P.O. Box 5281, 90014 Oulu, Finland
4Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 41, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Received 14 July 2012; Accepted 22 August 2012
Academic Editors: M. I. Ryder and S. E. Widmalm
Copyright © 2012 M. Gholami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. E. Petersen and H. Ogawa, “Strengthening the prevention of periodontal disease: the WHO approach,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 2187–2193, 2005.
- R. C. Oliver, L. J. Brown, and H. Loe, “Variations in the prevalence and extent of periodontitis,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 122, no. 7, pp. 43–48, 1991.
- J. M. Albandar, “Global risk factors and risk indicators for periodontal diseases,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 177–206, 2002.
- O. Norderyd, “Risk for periodontal disease in a Swedish adult population. Cross-sectional and longitudinal studies over two decades,” Swedish Dental Journal. Supplement, vol. 132, supplement 1, pp. 1–67, 1998.
- I. L. C. Chapple, “Potential mechanisms underpinning the nutritional modulation of periodontal inflammation,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 178–184, 2009.
- H. J. Shiau and M. A. Reynolds, “Sex differences in destructive periodontal disease: a systematic review,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 1379–1389, 2010.
- B. A. Burt, “Periodontitis and aging: reviewing recent evidence,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 273–279, 1994.
- N. Beiruti, “Views on oral health care strategies,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 11, no. 1-2, pp. 209–216, 2005.
- P. E. Petersen, D. Bourgeois, H. Ogawa, S. Estupinan-Day, and C. Ndiaye, “The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 661–669, 2005.
- P. E. Petersen, “The world oral health report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century—the approach of the WHO global oral health programme,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 31, supplement 1, pp. 3–24, 2003.
- World Health Organization, “Oral Health; What is the burden of oral disease,” http://www.who.int/oral_health/disease_burden/global/en/.
- H. Hessari, M. M. Vehkalahti, M. J. Eghbal, and H. T. Murtomaa, “Oral health among 35- to 44-year-old Iranians,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 280–285, 2007.
- U. H. Graneheim and B. Lundman, “Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2004.
- N. Pishva, S. Asefzadeh, M. H. Pishva, and Z. Majedi, “Traditional beliefs and behaviors of mothers and teachers related to oral health of children in rural districts of Qazvin: a qualitative study,” Journal of Islamic Dental Association of Iran, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 292–300, 2009.
- S. Y. L. Kwan and M. A. M. Holmes, “An exploration of oral health beliefs and attitudes of Chinese in West Yorkshire: a qualitative investigation,” Health Education Research, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 453–460, 1999.
- E. C. Lo and E. Schwarz, “Attitudes toward dentists and the dental care system among the middle-aged and the elderly in Hong Kong,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 369–373, 1994.
- E. Stokes, A. Ashcroft, and M. J. Platt, “Determining Liverpool adolescents' beliefs and attitudes in relation to oral health,” Health Education Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 192–205, 2006.
- Y. Butani, J. A. Weintraub, and J. C. Barker, “Oral health-related cultural beliefs for four racial/ethnic groups: assessment of the literature,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 8, no. 1, article 26, 2008.
- S. E. Kelly, C. J. Binkley, W. P. Neace, and B. S. Gale, “Barriers to care-seeking for children's oral health among low-income caregivers,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1345–1351, 2005.
- H. Jiang, P. E. Petersen, B. Peng, B. Tai, and Z. Bian, “Self-assessed dental health, oral health practices, and general health behaviors in Chinese urban adolescents,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 343–352, 2005.
- B. J. Norman, E. Robinson, and M. E. Razzoog, “Societal determinants of cultural factors related to the dental health of a selected older black population,” Special Care in Dentistry, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 120–123, 1986.
- M. Dong, C. Loignon, A. Levine, and C. Bedos, “Perceptions of oral illness among Chinese immigrants in Montreal: a qualitative study,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 1340–1347, 2007.
- C. McGrath, “The use of traditional Chinese medicine in managing oral health—Hong Kong: one country, two systems,” International Dental Journal, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 302–306, 2005.
- C. Erichsen-Brown, Medicinal and Other Uses of North American Plants: A Historical Survey with Special Reference to the Eastern Indian Tribes, Dover, New York, NY, USA, 1989.
- E. Sezik, M. Tabata, E. Yesilada, G. Honda, K. Goto, and Y. Ikeshiro, “Traditional medicine in Turkey I. Folk medicine in northeast Anatolia,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 1991.
- C. F. Cao and X. P. Sun, “Herbal medicine for periodontal diseases,” International Dental Journal, vol. 48, supplement 1, pp. 316–322, 1998.