- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 676390, 4 pages
Assessment of Lung Cytological Atypia among Shisha Smokers
1Department of Medical Laboratories (Histopathology and Cytology), College of Applied Medical Sciences, Qassim University, P.O. Box 6699, Buraydah 51452, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Histopathology and Cytology, College of Medical Laboratory, University of Sudan for Sciences and Technology, Khartoum 102, Sudan
3Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Hail, Hail 2440, Saudi Arabia
Received 16 July 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editors: A.-J. Kruse and C.-F. Li
Copyright © 2012 Ali Yousif Yahia Babiker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Alberg, J. G. Ford, and J. M. Samet, “Epidemiology of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines,” Chest, vol. 132, no. 3, supplement, pp. 29S–55S, 2007.
- N. W. Johnson, A. W. Ranasinghe, and K. A. Warnakulasuriya, “Potentially malignant lesions and conditions of the mouth and oropharynx: natural history cellular and molecular markers of risk,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 2, supplement 2, pp. 31–51, 1993.
- S. Franceschi, E. Bidoli, R. Herrero, and N. Muñoz, “Comparison of cancers of the oral cavity and pharynx worldwide: etiological clues,” Oral Oncology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 106–115, 2000.
- I. E. El-Hakim and M. A. E. Uthman, “Squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma of the lower lip associated with “Goza” and “Shisha” smoking,” International Journal of Dermatology, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 108–110, 1999.
- J. D. Bancroft, A. Steven, and D. Turner, Theory and Practice of Histological Tchninques, Churchill Livingstone, 4th edition, 1996.
- H. G. Ahmed and D. Ai Elemirri, “Assessment of oral cytological changes associated with exposure to chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy,” Cyto Journal, vol. 6, article 8, 2009.
- J. Rakower and B. Fatal, “Study of narghile smoking in relation to cancer of the lung,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 16, pp. 1–6, 1962.
- S. Lam, J. C. LeRiche, Y. Zheng et al., “Sex-related differences in bronchial epithelial changes associated with tobacco smoking,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 691–696, 1999.
- J. P. Hanrahan, I. B. Tager, M. R. Segal et al., “The effect of maternal smoking during pregnancy on early infant lung function,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 1129–1135, 1992.
- F. B. J. M. Thunnissen, “Sputum examination for early detection of lung cancer,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 805–810, 2003.
- T. B. Einstein and B. Sivapathasundharam, “Cytomorphometric analysis of the buccal mucosa of tobacco users,” Indian Journal of Dental Research, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 42–46, 2005.
- G. H. Blake, T. D. Abell, and W. G. Stanley, “Cigarette smoking and upper respiratory infection among recruits in basic combat training,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 198–202, 1988.
- P. Sethi and P. M. Shah, “Oral exfoliative cytology of smokers at discrete clinical stages using AgNOR staining,” Indian Journal of Dental Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 142–145, 2003.
- P. C. Fontes, G. H. Corrêa, J. S. Issa, A. A. Brandão, and J. D. Almeida, “Comparison of exfoliative pap stain and AgNOR counts of the tongue in smokers and nonsmokers,” Head and Neck Pathology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 157–162, 2008.
- C. Hde Sampaio, A. M. Loyola, R. S. Gomez, and R. A. Mesquita, “AgNOR count in exfoliative cytology of normal buccal mucosa: effect of smoking,” Acta Cytologica, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 117–120, 1999.
- A. I. Orellana Bustos, I. L. Espinoza Santander, M. E. Franco Martínez, N. Lobos Jaimes-Freyre, and A. V. Ortega Pinto, “Evaluation of keratinization and AgNORs count in exfoliative cytology of normal oral mucosa from smokers and non-smokers,” Medicina Oral, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 197–203, 2004.
- S. Babu, R. V. Bhat, P. U. Kumar, et al., “A comparative clinico-pathological study of oral submucos fibrosis in habitual chewers of pan masala and betel quid,” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 317–322, 1996.
- G. M. Ortiz, A. M. Pierce, and D. F. Wilson, “Palatal changes associated with reverse smoking in Filipino women,” Oral Diseases, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 232–237, 1996.
- H. G. Ahmed and R. M. Mahgoob, “Impact of Toombak dipping in the etiology of oral cancer: gender-exclusive hazard in the Sudan,” Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 2007.
- H. G. Ahmed, A. M. Idris, and S. O. Ibrahim, “Study of oral epithelial atypia among sudanese tobacco users by exfoliative cytology,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 1943–1949, 2003.