- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Chemical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 693545, 11 pages
Tuning and Retuning of PID Controller for Unstable Systems Using Evolutionary Algorithm
1Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, St. Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai 600 119, India
2Department of Aerospace Engineering, Division of Avionics, MIT Campus, Anna University, Chennai 600 044, India
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 26 February 2012
Academic Editors: B. Grgur and S. Rodríguez-Couto
Copyright © 2012 V. Rajinikanth and K. Latha. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Panda, “Synthesis of PID controller for unstable and integrating processes,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 2807–2816, 2009.
- R. Padma Sree and M. Chidambaram, Control of Unstable Systems, Narosa, 2006.
- C. C. Chen, H. P. Huang, and H. J. Liaw, “Set-point weighted PID controller tuning for time-delayed unstable processes,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 47, no. 18, pp. 6983–6990, 2008.
- H. P. Huang and C. C. Chen, “Auto-tuning of PID controllers for second order unstable process having dead time,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 486–497, 1999.
- G. Prashanti and M. Chidambaram, “Set-point weighted PID controllers for unstable systems,” Journal of the Franklin Institute, vol. 337, no. 2-3, pp. 201–215, 2000.
- H. P. Huang and C.-C. Chen, “Control-system synthesis for open-loop unstable process with time delay,” in Proceedings of IEEE Control Theory and Applications, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. 334–346, 1997.
- M. K. Jhunjhunwala and M. Chidambaram, “PID controller tuning for unstable systems by optimization method,” Chemical Engineering Communications, vol. 185, pp. 91–113, 2001.
- W. Tan, H. J. Marquez, and T. Chen, “IMC design for unstable processes with time delays,” Journal of Process Control, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 203–213, 2003.
- G. Marchetti, C. Scali, and D. R. Lewin, “Identification and control of open-loop unstable processes by relay methods,” Automatica, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 2049–2055, 2001.
- Y.-B. Wang, X. Peng, and B.-Z. Wei, “A new particle swarm optimization based auto-tuning of pid controller,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC '08), vol. 4, pp. 1818–1823, Kunming, Yunnan, 2008.
- J. Tushar and M. J. Nigam, “Optimization of PD-PI controller using swarm intelligence,” International Journal of Computational Cognition, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 55–59, 2008.
- D. H. Kim and J. H. Cho, “A biologically inspired intelligent PID controller tuning for AVR systems,” International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 624–636, 2006.
- D. H. Kim, “Hybrid GA-BF based intelligent PID controller tuning for AVR system,” Applied Soft Computing Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 11–22, 2011.
- A. Ali and S. Majhi, “Design of optimum PID controller by bacterial foraging strategy,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT '06), pp. 601–605, Mumbai, india, December 2006.
- W. M. Korani, H. T. Dorrah, and H. M. Emara, “Bacterial foraging oriented by particle swarm optimization strategy for PID tuning,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation (CIRA '09), pp. 445–450, Daejeon, Republic of Korea, December 2009.
- V. Rajinikanth and K. Latha, “Optimization of PID controller parameters for unstable chemical systems using soft computing technique,” International Review of Chemical Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 350–358, 2011.
- V. Rajinikanth and K. Latha, “Bacterial foraging optimization algorithm based PID controller tuning for time delayed unstable system,” The Mediterranean Journal of Measurement and Control, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 197–203, 2011.
- V. Rajinikanth and K. Latha, “I-PD controller Tuning for unstable system using bacterial foraging algorithm: a study based on various error criterion,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, vol. 2012, Article ID 329389, 10 pages, 2012.
- J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942–1948, December 1995.
- W. D. Chang and S. P. Shih, “PID controller design of nonlinear systems using an improved particle swarm optimization approach,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 3632–3639, 2010.
- S. Z. Zhao, P. N. Suganthan, Q. K. Pan, and M. Fatih Tasgetiren, “Dynamic multi-swarm particle swarm optimizer with harmony search,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 3735–3742, 2011.
- S. C. Chu and J. S. Pan, “Intelligent parallel particle swarm optimization algorithms,” Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 22, pp. 159–175, 2006.
- A. Biswas, S. Dasgupta, S. Das, and A. Abraham, “Synergy of PSO and bacterial foraging optimization—a comparative study on numerical benchmarks,” Innovations in Hybrid Intelligent Systems, vol. 44, pp. 255–263, 2007.
- P. Umapathy, C. Venkataseshaiah, and M. S. Arumugam, “Particle swarm optimization with various inertia weight varients for optimal power flow solution,” Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, vol. 2010, Article ID 462145, 15 pages, 2010.
- Z.-L. Gaing and C.-H. Lin, “Contingency-constrained optimal power flow using simplex-based chaotic-PSO algorithm,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, vol. 2011, Article ID 942672, 13 pages, 2011.
- M. A. Johnson and M. H. Moradi, “Some PID control fundamentals,” in PID Control: New Identification and Design Methods, chapter 2, pp. 47–107, Springer, London, UK, 2005.
- C. T. Liou and Y.-S. Chien, “The effect of nonideal mixing on input multiplicity in a CSTR,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 2113–2116, 1991.
- S. Vivek and M. Chidambaram, “An improved relay auto tuning of PID controllers for unstable FOPTD systems,” Computers and Chemical Engineering, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 2060–2068, 2005.
- S. Pramod and M. Chidambaram, “Closed loop identification of transfer function model for unstable bioreactors for tuning PID controllers,” Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 185–188, 2000.
- B. W. Bequette, Process Control—Modelling, Design and Simulation, Prentice Hall, New Delhi, India, 2003.