- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 703541, 15 pages
Rent Extraction through Alternative Forms of Competition in the Provision of Paternalistic Goods
1Faculty of Science and Technology, Free University of Bozen, Piazza Università 5, I-39100 Bozen/Bolzano, Italy
2Department of Economics and Management, University of Brescia, Via San Faustino 74b, 25121 Brescia, Italy
Received 22 November 2012; Accepted 10 December 2012
Academic Editors: B. Junquera, M. Ransom, W. R. Reed, and E. Silva
Copyright © 2012 Laura Levaggi and Rosella Levaggi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. P. Baron and R. B. Myerson, “Regulating a monopolist with unknown costs,” Econometrica, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 911–930, 1982.
- E. Auriol and J. J. Laffont, “Regulation by duopoly,” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 507–533, 1992.
- A. Bower, “Procurement policy and contracting efficiency,” International Economic Review, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 873–901, 1993.
- J. J. Laffont and J. Tirole, A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1993.
- J. D. Dana and K. E. Spier, “Designing a private industry. Government auctions with endogenous market structure,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 127–147, 1994.
- L. A. Stole, “Information expropriation and moral hazard in optimal second-source auctions,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 463–484, 1994.
- T. G. McGuire and M. H. Riordan, “Incomplete information and optimal market structure public purchases from private providers,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 125–141, 1995.
- M. Chalkley and J. M. Malcomson, “Contracting for health services with unmonitored quality,” Economic Journal, vol. 108, no. 449, pp. 1093–1110, 1998.
- H. Gravelle, “Capitation contracts: access and quality,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 315–340, 1999.
- M. Chalkley and J. H. Malcomson, “Government purchasing of health services,” in Handbook of Health Economics, A. J. Culyer and J. P. Newhouse, Eds., pp. 461–536, North-Holland, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- D. E. M. Sappington, “Regulating service quality: a survey,” Journal of Regulatory Economics, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 123–154, 2005.
- R. Levaggi, “Hospital health care: pricing and quality control in a spatial model with asymmetry of information,” International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 327–349, 2005.
- R. Levaggi, “Regulating internal markets for hospital care,” Journal of Regulatory Economics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 173–193, 2007.
- M. Harrison, “Competition, regulation and private schools,” Australian Economic Review, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 66–74, 2005.
- G. de Fraja and P. Landeras, “Could do better: the effectiveness of incentives and competition in schools,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 90, no. 1-2, pp. 189–213, 2006.
- R. Fischer, P. González, and P. Serra, “Does competition in privatized social services work? The Chilean experience,” World Development, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 647–664, 2006.
- G. T. Henry and C. S. Gordon, “Competition in the sondbox: a test of the effects of preschool competition on educational outcomes,” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 97–127, 2006.
- D. P. Kessler and M. B. McClellan, “Is hospital competition socially wasteful?” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 577–615, 2000.
- A. Enthoven, “Introducing market forces into health care: a tale of two countries,” in Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Health Economics, Paris, France, July 2002, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ces/Pages/english/PLS3.pdf.
- M. S. Gaynor and W. B. Vogt, “Competition among hospitals,” RAND Journal of Economics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 764–785, 2003.
- M. Duggan, “Does contracting out increase the efficiency of government programs? Evidence from medicaid HMOs,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 2549–2572, 2004.
- J. M. Abraham, M. Gaynor, and W. B. Vogt, “Entry and competition in local hospital markets,” The Journal of Industrial Economics, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 265–288, 2007.
- A. Amirkhanyan, “Privatizing public nursing homes: examining the effects on quality and access,” Public Administration Review, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 665–680, 2008.
- R. P. Ellis, “Creaming, skimping and dumping: provider competition on the intensive and extensive margins,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 537–555, 1998.
- J. Schnellenbach, “Nudges and norms: on the political economy of soft paternalism,” European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 266–277, 2012.
- P. Francois, “Public service motivation as an argument for government provision,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 275–299, 2000.
- P. Francois, “Employee care and the role of nonprofit organizations,” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 443–464, 2001.
- A. Glazer, “Motivating devoted workers,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 427–440, 2004.
- R. Levaggi, M. Moretto, and V. Rebba, “Investment decisions in hospital technology when physicians are devoted workers,” Economics of Innovation and New Technology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 487–512, 2009.
- S. G. Cheng, D. M. Reeves, Y. Vorobeychik, and M. P. Wellman, “Notes on equilibria in symmetric games,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents & Multi Agent Systems, 6th Workshop On Game Theoretic and Decision Theoretic Agents, New Yorks, NY, USA, August 2004.
- M. Harris and A. Raviv, “Optimal incentive contracts with imperfect information,” Journal of Economic Theory, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 231–259, 1979.
- M. Riordan and D. Sappington, “Awarding monopoly franchises,” American Economic Review, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 375–387, 1987.
- A. Wolinsky, “Regulation of duopoly: managed competition vs regulated monopolies,” Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 821–847, 1997.
- V. Krishna, Auction Theory, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2002.
- M. Armstrong and D. E. M. Sappington, “Regulation, competition, and liberalization,” Journal of Economic Literature, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 325–366, 2006.
- A. Petretto, “Efficienza dei servizi pubblici locali ed efficienza del sistema economico: una nota propedeutica alla ricerca empirica,” SIEP WorkiNg Paper no. 592, 2007, http://www.unipv.it/websiep/wp/592.pdf.
- E. G. Olds, “A note on the convolution of uniform distributions,” The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 282–285, 1952.
- D. M. Bradley and R. C. Gupta, “On the distribution of the sum of n non-identically distributed uniform random variables,” Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 689–700, 2002.
- L. Levaggi and R. Levaggi, “Dutch first price auctions for public service provision,” SSRN WorkiNg Paper no. 992660, 2009, http://ssrn.com/abstract=992660.
- N. Malyshev, “Regulatory policy: OECD experience and evidence,” Oxford Review of Economic Policy, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 274–299, 2006.
- D. Bös and G. de Fraja, “Quality and outside capacity in the provision of health services,” Journal of Public Economics, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 199–218, 2002.
- L. Levaggi and R. Levaggi, “Strategic costs and preferences revelation in the allocation of resources for health care,” International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 239–256, 2010.
- G. Calzolari and G. Spagnolo, “Reputational commitments and collusion in procurement,” Mimeo, University of Bologna and Consip Research Unit, Stockholm School of Economics, 2006, http://www.dse.unibo.it/calzolari/web/papers/reputation.pdf.