- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 738432, 11 pages
Optimizing Druggability through Liposomal Formulations: New Approaches to an Old Concept
UMR 911 CRO2, Pharmacokinetics Laboratory, Aix-Marseille University, 13385 Marseille, France
Received 12 September 2011; Accepted 20 October 2011
Academic Editors: A. Bolognese, A. I. Segall, and J. Torrado
Copyright © 2012 Dimitrios Bitounis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Kshirsagar, S. K. Pandya, B. G. Kirodian, and S. Sanath, “Liposomal drug delivery system from laboratory to clinic,” Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. S5–S15, 2005.
- A. D. Bangham, M. W. Hill, and N. G. A. Miller, “Methods in membrane biology,” Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes, vol. 7, pp. 87–88, 1975.
- R. Fanciullino and J. Ciccolini, “Liposome-encapsulated anticancer drugs: still waiting for the magic bullet?” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 33, pp. 4361–4373, 2009.
- M. L. Immordino, F. Dosio, and L. Cattel, “Stealth liposomes: review of the basic science, rationale, and clinical applications, existing and potential,” International journal of nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 297–315, 2006.
- B. Dupont, “Overview of the lipid formulations of amphotericin B,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2002.
- L. E. Euliss, J. A. DuPont, S. Gratton, and J. DeSimone, “Imparting size, shape, and composition control of materials for nanomedicine,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1095–1104, 2006.
- D. Papahadjopoulos and H. K. Kimelberg, “Phospholipid vesicles (liposomes) as models for biological membranes: their properties and interactions with cholesterol and proteins,” Progress in Surface Science, vol. 4, no. C, pp. 141–IN9, 1974.
- J. M. Berg, J. L. Tymoczko, and L. Stryer, Biochemistry, W. H. Freeman and Company, 5th edition, 2002.
- H. C. Berg, Random Walks in Biology, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1993.
- M. A. Rodriguez, R. Pytlik, T. Kozak et al., “Vincristine sulfate liposomes injection (Marqibo) in heavily pretreated patients with refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma: report of the pivotal phase 2 study,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 15, pp. 3475–3482, 2009.
- T. Shimanouchi, M. Sasaki, A. Hiroiwa et al., “Relationship between the mobility of phosphocholine headgroups of liposomes and the hydrophobicity at the membrane interface: a characterization with spectrophotometric measurements,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 221–230, 2011.
- T. Starke-Peterkovic and R. J. Clarke, “Effect of headgroup on the dipole potential of phospholipid vesicles,” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 103–110, 2009.
- M. J. Copland, T. Rades, N. M. Davies, and M. A. Baird, “Lipid based particulate formulations for the delivery of antigen,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 97–105, 2005.
- M. C. Taira, N. S. Chiaramoni, K. M. Pecuch, and S. Alonso-Romanowski, “Stability of liposomal formulations in physiological conditions for oral drug delivery,” Drug Delivery, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 123–128, 2004.
- V. Guida, “Thermodynamics and kinetics of vesicles formation processes,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 161, no. 1-2, pp. 77–88, 2010.
- E. Schechter, Biochimie et Biophysique des Membranes: Aspects Structuraux et Fonctionnels, Dunod, 2002.
- P. Milla, F. Dosio, and L. Cattel, “PEGylation of proteins and liposomes: a powerful and flexible strategy to improve the drug delivery,” Current Drug Metabolism. In press.
- S. C. Semple, R. Leone, J. Wang et al., “Optimization and characterization of a sphingomyelin/cholesterol liposome formulation of vinorelbine with promising antitumor activity,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1024–1038, 2005.
- A. Nagayasu, K. Uchiyama, and H. Kiwada, “The size of liposomes: a factor which affects their targeting efficiency to tumors and therapeutic activity of liposomal antitumor drugs,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 75–87, 1999.
- L. Ostrosky-Zeichner, K. A. Marr, J. H. Rex, and S. H. Cohen, “Amphotericin B: time for a new "gold standard",” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 415–425, 2003.
- A. Gabizon, H. Shmeeda, and Y. Barenholz, “Pharmacokinetics of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin: review of animal and human studies,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 419–436, 2003.
- A. T. Kawaguchi, Y. Kametani, S. Kato, H. Furuya, K. Tamaoki, and S. Habu, “Effects of liposome-encapsulated hemoglobin on human immune system: evaluation in immunodeficient mice reconstituted with human cord blood stem cells,” Artificial Organs, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 169–176, 2009.
- W. C. Zamboni, “Concept and clinical evaluation of carrier-mediated anticancer agents,” Oncologist, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 248–260, 2008.
- D. Papahadjopoulos, T. M. Allen, A. Gabizon et al., “Sterically stabilized liposomes: improvements in pharmacokinetics and antitumor therapeutic efficacy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 24, pp. 11460–11464, 1991.
- T. Ta, A. J. Convertine, C. R. Reyes, P. S. Stayton, and T. M. Porter, “Thermosensitive liposomes modified with poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co- propylacrylic acid) copolymers for triggered release of doxorubicin,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1915–1920, 2010.
- A. Schnyder and J. Huwyler, “Drug transport to brain with targeted liposomes,” NeuroRx, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2005.
- S. C. Semple, T. O. Harasym, K. A. Clow, S. M. Ansell, S. K. Klimuk, and M. J. Hope, “Immunogenicity and rapid blood clearance of liposomes containing polyethylene glycol-lipid conjugates and nucleic acid,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 312, no. 3, pp. 1020–1026, 2005.
- T. Ishida, H. Harashima, and H. Kiwada, “Liposome clearance,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 197–224, 2002.
- W. C. Zamboni, “Liposomal, nanoparticle, and conjugated formulations of anticancer agents,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 23, pp. 8230–8234, 2005.
- J. Huwyler, J. Drewe, and S. Krähenbühl, “Tumor targeting using liposomal antineoplastic drugs,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2008.
- R. Fanciullino, S. Giacometti, C. Aubert et al., “Development of stealth liposome formulation of 2′-deoxyinosine as 5-fluorouracil modulator: in vitro and in vivo study,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2051–2057, 2005.
- V. P. Torchilin, “Recent advances with liposomes as pharmaceutical carriers,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 145–160, 2005.
- A. M. Minisini, C. Andreetta, G. Fasola, and F. Puglisi, “Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in elderly patients with metastatic breast cancer,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 331–342, 2008.
- A. A. Gabizon, H. Shmeeda, and S. Zalipsky, “Pros and cons of the liposome platform in cancer drug targeting,” Journal of Liposome Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 175–183, 2006.
- M. C. Woodle, K. K. Matthay, M. S. Newman et al., “Versatility in lipid compositions showing prolonged circulation with sterically stabilized liposomes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1105, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 1992.
- R. D. Hofheinz, S. U. Gnad-Vogt, U. Beyer, and A. Hochhaus, “Liposomal encapsulated anti-cancer drugs,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 691–707, 2005.
- L. E. Van Vlerken, T. K. Vyas, and M. M. Amiji, “Poly(ethylene glycol)-modified nanocarriers for tumor-targeted and intracellular delivery,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1405–1414, 2007.
- E. Wagner, “Programmed drug delivery: nanosystems for tumor targeting,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 587–593, 2007.
- N. Oku and Y. Namba, “Glucuronate-modified, long-circulating liposomes for the delivery of anticancer agents,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 391, pp. 145–162, 2005.
- W. C. Zamboni, S. Strychor, L. Maruca et al., “Pharmacokinetic study of pegylated liposomal CKD-602 (S-CKD602) in patients with advanced malignancies,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 519–526, 2009.
- A. Pathak, S. P. Vyas, and K. C. Gupta, “Nano-vectors for efficient liver specific gene transfer,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 31–49, 2008.
- D. K. Chang, C. Y. Chiu, S. Y. Kuo et al., “Antiangiogenic targeting liposomes increase therapeutic efficacy for solid tumors,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 19, pp. 12905–12916, 2009.
- T. Asai and N. Oku, “Angiogenic vessel-targeting DDS by liposomalized oligopeptides,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 605, pp. 335–347, 2010.
- A. Gabizon, D. Tzemach, J. Gorin et al., “Improved therapeutic activity of folate-targeted liposomal doxorubicin in folate receptor-expressing tumor models,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 2010.
- A. Garg, A. W. Tisdale, E. Haidari, and E. Kokkoli, “Targeting colon cancer cells using PEGylated liposomes modified with a fibronectin-mimetic peptide,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 366, no. 1-2, pp. 201–210, 2009.
- K. Imai and A. Takaoka, “Comparing antibody and small-molecule therapies for cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 714–727, 2006.
- B. Romberg, W. E. Hennink, and G. Storm, “Sheddable coatings for long-circulating nanoparticles,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 55–71, 2008.
- D. H. Yu, Q. Lu, J. Xie, C. Fang, and H. Z. Chen, “Peptide-conjugated biodegradable nanoparticles as a carrier to target paclitaxel to tumor neovasculature,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 2278–2292, 2010.
- P. K. Jayanna, V. P. Torchilin, and V. A. Petrenko, “Liposomes targeted by fusion phage proteins,” Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2009.
- G. S. Shukla and D. N. Krag, “Selective delivery of therapeutic agents for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 39–54, 2006.
- S. Song, D. Liu, J. Peng et al., “Novel peptide ligand directs liposomes toward EGF-R high-expressing cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1396–1404, 2009.
- W. Li, N. Geis, and M. Kirschfink, “Specific targeting of anti-CD59 siRNA by Herceptin-conjugated liposomes improves complement-mediated cytotoxicity of breast carcinoma cells,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 46, no. 14, pp. 2830–2831, 2009.
- M. Heger, I. I. Salles, A. I. P. M. de Kroon, and H. Deckmyn, “Platelets and PEGylated lecithin liposomes: when stealth is allegedly picked up on the radar (and eaten),” Microvascular Research, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2009.
- T. Ishida, M. Harada, Y. W. Xin, M. Ichihara, K. Irimura, and H. Kiwada, “Accelerated blood clearance of PEGylated liposomes following preceding liposome injection: effects of lipid dose and PEG surface-density and chain length of the first-dose liposomes,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 305–317, 2005.
- A. Judge, K. McClintock, J. R. Phelps, and I. MacLachlan, “Hypersensitivity and loss of disease site targeting caused by antibody responses to PEGylated liposomes,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 328–337, 2006.
- T. Maeda and K. Fujimoto, “A reduction-triggered delivery by a liposomal carrier possessing membrane-permeable ligands and a detachable coating,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2006.
- M. Prato, K. Kostarelos, and A. Bianco, “Functionalized carbon nanotubes in drug design and discovery,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 60–68, 2008.