- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 768159, 13 pages
Mass Spectrometry for Diabetic Nephropathy Monitoring: New Effective Tools for Physicians
1Department of Medicine, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35137 Padova, Italy
2Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie Molecolari, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padova, Italy
Received 23 December 2011; Accepted 22 January 2012
Academic Editor: C. Bartsch
Copyright © 2012 Annunziata Lapolla et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Collins, B. Kasiske, C. Herzog et al., “Excerpts from the United States Renal Data System 2004 Annual Data Report. Atlas of end-stage renal disease in the United States,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 5–7, 2005.
- M. L. Caramori and M. Mauer, “Diabetes and nephropathy,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 273–282, 2003.
- A. E. Declèves and K. Sharma, “New pharmacological treatments for improving renal outcomes in diabetes,” Nature Reviews, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 371–380, 2010.
- H. H. Parving, H. Lehnert, J. Brochner-Mortensen, R. Gomis, S. Andersen, and P. Arner, “The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 12, pp. 870–878, 2001.
- C. E. Mogensen, C. K. Christensen, and E. Vittinghus, “The stages in diabetic renal disease. With emphasis on the stage of incipient diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 64–78, 1983.
- T. W. C. Tervaert, A. L. Mooyaart, K. Amann et al., “Pathologic classification of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 556–563, 2010.
- P. Gaede, P. Vedel, H. H. Parving, and O. Pedersen, “Intensified multifactorial intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and microalbuminuria: the Steno type 2 randomised study,” Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9153, pp. 617–622, 1999.
- D. Gorman, E. Sochett, and D. Daneman, “The natural history of microalbuminuria in adolescents with type 1 diabetes,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 333–337, 1999.
- C. E. Mogensen, “Microalbuminuria predicts clinical proteinuria and early mortality in maturity-onset diabetes,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 310, no. 6, pp. 356–360, 1984.
- D. T. Eurich, S. R. Majumdar, R. T. Tsuyuki, and J. A. Johnson, “Reduced mortality associated with the use of ACE inhibitors in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1330–1334, 2004.
- H. H. Parving, N. Chaturvedi, G. Viberti, and C. E. Mogensen, “Does microalbuminuria predict diabetic nephropathy?” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 406–407, 2002.
- M. L. Caramori, P. Fioretto, and M. Mauer, “The need for early predictors of diabetic nephropathy risk: is albumin excretion rate sufficient?” Diabetes, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1399–1408, 2000.
- E. de Hoffmann and V. Stroobant, Mass Spectrometry. Principle and Application, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 3rd edition, 2007.
- J. H. Gross, Mass Spectrometry. A Textbook, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- M. Hamdan and P. G. Righetti, Proteomics Today. Protein Assessment and Biomarkers Using Mass Spectrometry, 2D Electrophoresis, and Microarray Technology, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2005.
- A. Lapolla, D. Fedele, R. Aronica et al., “A highly specific method for the characterization of glycation and glyco-oxidation products of globins,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 613–617, 1997.
- H. H. Otu, H. Can, D. Spentzos et al., “Prediction of diabetic nephropathy using urine proteomic profiling 10 years prior to development of nephropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 638–643, 2007.
- H. Dihazi, G. A. Müller, S. Lindner et al., “Characterization of diabetic nephropathy by urinary proteomic analysis: identification of a processed ubiquitin form as a differentially excreted protein in diabetic nephropathy patients,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1636–1645, 2007.
- P. V. Rao, X. Lu, M. Standley et al., “Proteomic identification of urinary biomarkers of diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 629–637, 2007.
- S. Riaz, S. S. Alam, S. K. Srai, V. Skinner, A. Riaz, and M. W. Akhtar, “Proteomic identification of human urinary biomarkers in diabetes mellitus type 2,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 979–988, 2010.
- Y. C. Tyan, H. R. Guo, C. Y. Liu, and P. C. Liao, “Proteomic profiling of human urinary proteome using nano-high performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 579, no. 2, pp. 158–176, 2006.
- H. Mischak, T. Kaiser, M. Walden et al., “Proteomic analysis for the assessment of diabetic renal damage in humans,” Clinical Science, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 485–495, 2004.
- M. Meier, T. Kaiser, A. Herrmann et al., “Identification of urinary protein pattern in Type 1 diabetic adolescents with early diabetic nephropathy by a novel combined proteome analysis,” Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 223–232, 2005.
- K. Rossing, H. Mischak, H. H. Parving et al., “Impact of diabetic nephropathy and angiotensin II receptor blockade on urinary polypeptide patterns,” Kidney International, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 193–205, 2005.
- K. Rossing, H. Mischak, M. Dakna et al., “Urinary proteomics in diabetes and CKD,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1283–1290, 2008.
- H. Mischak and J. P. Schanstra, “CE-MS in biomarker discovery, validation, and clinical application,” Proteomics, vol. 5, no. 1-2, pp. 9–23, 2011.
- A. Alkhalaff, P. Zürbig, S. J. L. Bakker et al., “Multicentric validation of proteomic biomarkers in urine specific for diabetic Nephropathy,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13421, 2010.
- D. M. Maahs, J. Siwy, À. Argilés et al., “Urinary collagen fragments are significantly altered in diabetes: a link to pathophysiology,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 9, Article ID e13051, 2010.
- H. Jiang, G. Guan, R. Zhang et al., “Identification of urinary soluble E-cadherin as a novel biomarker for diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 232–241, 2009.
- Y. Kumar, N. Rao Venkata Uppuluri, K. Babu et al., “Proteomics of renal disorders: urinary proteome analysis by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry,” Current Science, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 655–663, 2002.
- A. Lapolla, R. Seraglia, L. Molin et al., “Low molecular weight proteins in urines from healthy subjects as well as diabetic, nephropathic and diabetic-nephropathic patients: a MALDI study,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 419–425, 2009.
- J. Brickmann, H. Notbohm, and P. K. Müller, Eds., Collagen: Primer in Structure, Processing and Assembly, Topics in Current Chemistry, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 247 edition, 2005.
- A. Lapolla, L. Molin, A. Sechi et al., “A further investigation on a MALDI-based method for evaluation ofmarkers of renal damage,” Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1754–1760, 2009.