- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 790279, 7 pages
Minimization of Radiation Exposure due to Computed Tomography in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
1Department of Radiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
2Department of Medicine, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
3Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Received 21 December 2011; Accepted 29 January 2012
Academic Editors: F. Izzo, A. Nakajima, A. A. te Velde, and A. Weimann
Copyright © 2012 Patrick D. Mc Laughlin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. V. Coakley, R. Gould, B. M. Yeh, and R. L. Arenson, “CT radiation dose: what can you do right now in your practice?” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 196, no. 3, pp. 619–625, 2011.
- A. N. Desmond, K. O'Regan, C. Curran et al., “Crohn's disease: factors associated with exposure to high levels of diagnostic radiation,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1524–1529, 2008.
- T. R. Koenig, D. Wolff, F. A. Mettler, and L. K. Wagner, “Skin injuries from fluoroscopically guided procedures: part I, characteristics of radiation injury,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2001.
- E. Cardis, M. Vrijheid, M. Blettner et al., “The 15-country collaborative study of cancer risk among radiation workers in the nuclear industry: estimates of radiation-related cancer risks,” Radiation Research, vol. 167, no. 4, pp. 396–416, 2007.
- D. J. Brenner, C. D. Elliston, E. J. Hall, and W. E. Berdon, “Estimated risks of radiation-induced fatal cancer from pediatric CT,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 289–296, 2001.
- R. Smith-Bindman, J. Lipson, R. Marcus et al., “Radiation dose associated with common computed tomography examinations and the associated lifetime attributable risk of cancer,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 22, pp. 2078–2086, 2009.
- “The 2007 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP publication 103,” Annals of the ICRP, vol. 37, no. 2–4, pp. 1–332, 2007.
- C. H. McCollough and B. A. Schueler, “Calculation of effective dose,” Medical Physics, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 828–837, 2000.
- F. A. Mettler, W. Huda, T. T. Yoshizumi, and M. Mahesh, “Effective doses in radiology and diagnostic nuclear medicine: a catalog,” Radiology, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 254–263, 2008.
- “Making the best use of a department of clinical radiology: guidelines for doctors,” 5th edition. Royal College of Radiologists Web site, http://www.rcr.ac.uk/publications.aspx?PageID=310&PublicationID=71.
- D. Higson, “BEIR VII-2,” Journal of Radiological Protection, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 324–325, 2005.
- D. J. Brenner, “Does fractionation decrease the risk of breast cancer induced by low—LET radiation?” Radiation Research, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 225–229, 1999.
- L. B. Travis, M. Gospodarowicz, R. E. Curtis et al., “Lung cancer following chemotherapy and radiotherapy for Hodgkin's disease,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 182–192, 2002.
- D. L. Preston, Y. Shimizu, D. A. Pierce, A. Suyama, and K. Mabuchi, “Studies of mortality of atomic bomb survivors. Report 13: solid cancer and noncancer disease mortality: 1950–1997,” Radiation Research, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 381–407, 2003.
- D. A. Pierce and D. L. Preston, “Radiation-related cancer risks at low doses among atomic bomb survivors,” Radiation Research, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 178–186, 2000.
- A. Berrington De González, M. Mahesh, K. P. Kim et al., “Projected cancer risks from computed tomographic scans performed in the United States in 2007,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 22, pp. 2071–2077, 2009.
- K. J. Strauss, M. J. Goske, D. P. Frush, P. F. Butler, and G. Morrison, “Image Gently vendor summit: working together for better estimates of pediatric radiation dose from CT,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 192, no. 5, pp. 1169–1175, 2009.
- F. A. Mettler, P. W. Wiest, J. A. Locken, and C. A. Kelsey, “CT scanning: patterns of use and dose,” Journal of Radiological Protection, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 353–359, 2000.
- D. J. Brenner and E. J. Hall, “Computed tomography—an increasing source of radiation exposure,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 22, pp. 2277–2284, 2007.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, T. L. Toth et al., “Strategies for CT radiation dose optimization,” Radiology, vol. 230, no. 3, pp. 619–628, 2004.
- M. Takahashi, W. M. Maguire, M. Ashtari et al., “Low-dose spiral computed tomography of the thorax: comparison with the standard-dose technique,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 68–73, 1998.
- M. K. Kalra, C. Wittram, M. M. Maher et al., “Can noise reduction filters improve low-radiation-dose chest CT images? Pilot study,” Radiology, vol. 228, no. 1, pp. 257–264, 2003.
- J. A. Bauhs, T. J. Vrieze, A. N. Primak, M. R. Bruesewitz, and C. H. McCollough, “CT dosimetry: comparison of measurement techniques and devices,” Radiographics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 245–253, 2008.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, T. L. Toth, R. S. Kamath, E. F. Halpern, and S. Saini, “Comparison of z-axis automatic tube current modulation technique with fixed tube current CT scanning of abdomen and pelvis,” Radiology, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 347–353, 2004.
- L. F. Donnelly, K. H. Emery, A. S. Brody et al., “Perspective: minimizing radiation dose for pediatric body applications of single-detector helical CT: strategies at a large children's hospital,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 303–306, 2001.
- A. R. Kambadakone, P. Prakash, P. F. Hahn, and D. V. Sahani, “Low-dose CT examinations in Crohn's disease: impact on image quality, diagnostic performance, and radiation dose,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 78–88, 2010.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, M. A. Blake et al., “Detection and characterization of lesions on low-radiation-dose abdominal CT images postprocessed with noise reduction filters,” Radiology, vol. 232, no. 3, pp. 791–797, 2004.
- S. Singh, M. K. Kalra, J. Hsieh et al., “Abdominal CT: comparison of adaptive statistical iterative and filtered back projection reconstruction techniques,” Radiology, vol. 257, no. 2, pp. 373–383, 2010.
- A. M. Cormack, “Representation of a function by its line integrals, with some radiological applications,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 2722–2727, 1963.
- R. A. Brooks and G. Di Chiro, “Theory of image reconstruction in computed tomography,” Radiology, vol. 117, no. 3 I, pp. 561–572, 1975.
- C. H. McCollough, A. N. Primak, N. Braun, J. Kofler, L. Yu, and J. Christner, “Strategies for reducing radiation dose in CT,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 27–40, 2009.
- A. C. Silva, H. J. Lawder, A. Hara, J. Kujak, and W. Pavlicek, “Innovations in CT dose reduction strategy: application of the adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction algorithm,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 191–199, 2010.
- P. Prakash, M. K. Kalra, A. K. Kambadakone et al., “Reducing abdominal ct radiation dose with adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction technique,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 202–210, 2010.
- D. Marin, R. C. Nelson, S. T. Schindera et al., “Low-tube-voltage, high-tube-current multidetector abdominal CT: improved image quality and decreased radiation dose with adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction algorithm—Initial clinical experience,” Radiology, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 145–153, 2010.
- A. K. Hara, R. G. Paden, A. C. Silva, J. L. Kujak, H. J. Lawder, and W. Pavlicek, “Iterative reconstruction technique for reducing body radiation dose at CT: feasibility study,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 3, pp. 764–771, 2009.
- K. T. Flicek, A. K. Hara, A. C. Silva, Q. Wu, M. B. Peter, and C. D. Johnson, “Reducing the radiation dose for CT colonography using adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction: a pilot study,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 126–131, 2010.
- J. Leipsic, T. M. LaBounty, B. Heilbron et al., “Estimated radiation dose reduction using adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction in coronary CT angiography: the ERASIR study,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 655–660, 2010.
- Y. Sagara, A. K. Hara, W. Pavlicek, A. C. Silva, R. G. Paden, and Q. Wu, “Abdominal CT: comparison of low-dose CT with adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction and routine-dose CT with filtered back projection in 53 patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 195, no. 3, pp. 713–719, 2010.
- G. Yadava, S. Kulkarni, Z. Colon Rodriguez, J. Thibault, and J. Hsieh, “TU-A-201B-03:Dose reduction and image quality benefits using Model Based Iterative Reconstruction (MBIR) technique for computed tomography,” Medical Physics, vol. 37, no. 6, p. 3372, 2010.
- W. Bogdanich, “Radiation overdoses point up dangers of CT scans,” New York Times Website, 2009, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiation.html/.
- M. K. Kalra, M. M. Maher, T. L. Toth, R. S. Kamath, E. F. Halpern, and S. Saini, “Radiation from “extra” images acquired with abdominal and/or pelvic CT: effect of automatic tube current modulation,” Radiology, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 409–414, 2004.
- C. G. Cronin, D. G. Lohan, A. M. Browne, C. Roche, and J. M. Murphy, “Does MRI with oral contrast medium allow single-study depiction of inflammatory bowel disease enteritis and colitis?” European Radiology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1667–1674, 2010.
- S. L. Seung, Y. K. Ah, S. K. Yang et al., “Crohn disease of the small bowel: comparison of CT enterography, MR enterography, and small-bowel follow-through as diagnostic techniques,” Radiology, vol. 251, no. 3, pp. 751–761, 2009.
- H. Herfarth and L. Palmer, “Risk of radiation and choice of imaging,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 278–284, 2009.
- K. Horsthuis, S. Bipat, R. J. Bennink, and J. Stoker, “Inflammatory bowel disease diagnosed with US, MR, scintigraphy, and CT: meta-analysis of prospective studies,” Radiology, vol. 247, no. 1, pp. 64–79, 2008.
- E. Calabrese, F. La Seta, A. Buccellato et al., “Crohn's disease: a comparative prospective study of transabdominal ultrasonography, small intestine contrast ultrasonography, and small bowel enema,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 2005.
- K. Jacob, G. Vivian, and J. R. Steel, “X-ray dose training: are we exposed to enough?” Clinical Radiology, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 928–934, 2004.
- A. D. Quinn, C. G. Taylor, T. Sabharwal, and T. Sikdar, “Radiation protection awareness in non-radiologists,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 70, pp. 102–106, 1997.
- S. Shiralkar, A. Rennie, M. Snow, R. B. Galland, M. H. Lewis, and K. Gower-Thomas, “Doctors' knowledge of radiation exposure: questionnaire study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7411, pp. 371–372, 2003.
- C. I. Lee, A. H. Haims, E. P. Monico, J. A. Brink, and H. P. Forman, “Diagnostic CT scans: assessment of patient, physician, and radiologist awareness of radiation dose and possible risks,” Radiology, vol. 231, no. 2, pp. 393–398, 2004.
- Council Directive 97/43/Euratom of 30 June 1997, “On health protection of individuals against the dangers of ionizing radiation in relation to medical exposure, and repealing Directive 84/466/Euratom,” Official Journal of the European Communities, vol. L180, pp. 0022–0027, 1997.
- J. O’Sullivan, O. J. O’Connor, K. O’Regan, et al., “An assessment of medical students’ awareness of radiation exposures associated with diagnostic imaging investigations,” Insights Imaging, vol. 1, pp. 86–92, 2010.
- M. K. Sidhu, M. J. Goske, B. J. Coley et al., “Image gently, step lightly: increasing radiation dose awareness in pediatric interventions through an International Social Marketing Campaign,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1115–1119, 2009.
- M. J. Goske, K. E. Applegate, J. Boylan et al., “The Image Gently campaign: working together to change practice,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 273–274, 2008.
- K. J. Strauss, M. J. Goske, S. C. Kaste et al., “Image gently: ten steps you can take to optimize image quality and lower CT dose for pediatric patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 194, no. 4, pp. 868–873, 2010.
- A. Suhova, V. Chubuchny, and E. Picano, “Principle of responsibility in medical imaging,” Annali dell'Istituto Superiore di Sanita, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 205–212, 2003.