- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 802450, 18 pages
Modeling Gender-Structured Wildlife Diseases with Harvesting: Chronic Wasting Disease as an Example
1Department of Mathematics, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5
2Department of Mathematics and Faculty of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 6N5
Received 29 May 2012; Accepted 18 July 2012
Academic Editors: D. Bhattacharyya and G. Bocharov
Copyright © 2012 Mo'tassem Al-Arydah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. S. Williams and S. Young, “Chronic wasting disease of captive mule deer: a spongiform encephalopathy,” Journal of wildlife diseases, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 1980.
- S. Gilch, N. Chitoor, Y. Taguchi, M. Stuart, J. E. Jewell, and H. M. Schätzl, “Chronic wasting disease,” Topics in Current Chemistry, vol. 305, pp. 51–77, 2011.
- C. J. Sigurdson, “A prion disease of cervids: chronic wasting disease,” Veterinary Research, vol. 39, no. 4, article no. 41, 2008.
- D. O. Joly, M. D. Samuel, J. A. Langenberg et al., “Spatial epidemiology of chronic wasting disease in Wisconsin white-tailed deer,” Journal of Wildlife Diseases, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 578–588, 2006.
- C. Mathiason, A. Nalls, K. Anderson, J. Hayes-Klug, N. Haley, and E. Hoover, “Mother to offspring transmission of chronic wasting disease,” in Proceedings of the Meeting Report International Prion Congress: from Agent to Disease (PRION'10), vol. 4, no. 3, p. 158, 2010.
- M. W. Miller, N. T. Hobbs, and S. J. Tavener, “Dynamics of prion disease transmission in mule deer,” Ecological Applications, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 2208–2214, 2006.
- M. W. Miller, E. S. Williams, N. T. Hobbs, and L. L. Wolfe, “Environmental sources of prion transmission in mule deer,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1003–1006, 2004.
- Government of Alberta, Agriculture and Rural Development, “Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) of Elk and Deer,” 2010, http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/rtw/index.jsp.
- Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance, 2010, http://www.cwd-info.org/.
- University of Alberta, “Border Deer Study: about CWD,” 2010, http://ursus.biology.ualberta.ca/overview.htm.
- S. Kahn, C. Dubé, L. Bates, and A. Balachandran, “Chronic wasting disease in Canada: part 1,” Canadian Veterinary Journal, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 397–404, 2004.
- E. S. Almberg, P. C. Cross, C. J. Johnson, D. M. Heisey, and B. J. Richards, “Modeling routes of chronic wasting disease transmission: environmental prion persistence promotes deer population decline and extinction,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19896, 2011.
- M. W. Miller, E. S. Williams, C. W. McCarty et al., “Epizootiology of chronic wasting disease in free-ranging cervids in Colorado and Wyoming,” Journal of Wildlife Diseases, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 676–690, 2000.
- G. Wasserberg, E. E. Osnas, R. E. Rolley, and M. D. Samuel, “Host culling as an adaptive management tool for chronic wasting disease in white-tailed deer: a modelling study,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 457–466, 2009.
- A. Sharp and J. Pastor, “Stable limit cycles and the paradox of enrichment in a model of chronic wasting disease,” Ecological Applications, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1024–1030, 2011.
- G. Giordano and F. Lutscher, “Predation and harvesting of an age-and sex-structured population,” Journal of Biological Dynamics, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 600–618, 2011.
- M. Kot, Elements of Mathematical Ecology, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- J.-M. Gaillard, M. Festa-Bianchet, and N. G. Yoccoz, “Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 58–63, 1998.
- C. Castillo-Chavez and W. Huang, “The logistic equation revisited: the two-sex case,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 128, no. 1-2, pp. 299–316, 1995.
- M. R. Miller, A. White, K. Wilson, and M. Boots, “The population dynamical implications of male-biased parasitism in different mating systems,” PLoS One, vol. 2, no. 7, article no. e624, 2007.
- J. M. Heffernan, R. J. Smith, and L. M. Wahl, “Perspectives on the basic reproductive ratio,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 281–293, 2005.
- J. Li, D. Blakeley, and R. J. Smith?, “The Failure of R0,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 527610, 17 pages, 2011.
- J. Carr, Applications of Centre Manifold Theory, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- C. Castillo-Chavez and B. Song, “Dynamical models of tuberculosis and their applications,” Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 361–404, 2004.
- O. Diekmann, J. A. Heesterbeek, and J. A. Metz, “On the definition and the computation of the basic reproduction ratio R0 in models for infectious diseases in heterogeneous populations,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 365–382, 1990.
- P. van den Driessche and J. Watmough, “Reproduction numbers and sub-threshold endemic equilibria for compartmental models of disease transmission,” Mathematical Biosciences, vol. 180, pp. 29–48, 2002.
- M. J. Pybus, “Alberta's Chronic Wasting Disease Management Programs in 2006 and upcoming surveillance,” 2010, http://www.srd.alberta.ca/FishWildlife/WildlifeDiseases/ChronicWastingDisease/documents/Alberta2006CWDManagementAndUpcomingSurveillance.pdf.
- J. E. Gross and M. W. Miller, “Chronic wasting disease in mule deer: disease dynamics and control,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 205–215, 2001.
- J. Binfet and D. W. Lutz, “Deer and Elk population status and harvest structure in Western North America: a summary of state and provincial status surveys,” in Proceedings of the Western States and Provinces Deer and Elk Workshop, vol. 5, pp. 48–68, 2003, http://www.muledeerworkinggroup.com/Docs/Proceedings/.
- A. N. Hamir, J. A. Richt, J. M. Miller et al., “Experimental transmission of Cchronic Wasting Disease (CWD) of Elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni), white-tailed Deer (Odocoileus vivginianus), and Mule Deer (Odocoileus hemionus) to white-tailed Deer by intracerebral route,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 297–306, 2008.
- C. W. Clark and D. E. Tait, “Sex-selective harvesting of wildlife populations,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 14, no. 3-4, pp. 251–260, 1982.
- M. M. Conner, J. E. Gross, P. C. Cross, M. R. Ebinger, R. R. Gillies, and M. D. Samuel, “Scale-dependent approaches to modeling spatial epidemiology of chronic wasting disease,” Special Report, 2007, http://www.cwd-info.org/index.php/fuseaction/resources.newresearch.
- S. M. Blower and H. Dowlatabadi, “Sensitivity and uncertainty analysis of complex models of disease transmission: an HIV model, as an example,” International Statistics Review, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 229–243, 1994.
- J. M. Gaillard, M. Festa-Bianchet, and N. G. Yoccoz, “Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 58–63, 1998.
- J. O. Lloyd-Smith, P. C. Cross, C. J. Briggs et al., “Should we expect population thresholds for wildlife disease?” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 511–519, 2005.
- M. M. Conner, M. R. Ebinger, J. A. Blanchong, and P. C. Cross, “Infectious disease in cervids of North America,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1134, pp. 146–172, 2008.
- M. Begon, M. Bennett, R. G. Bowers, N. P. French, S. M. Hazel, and J. Turner, “A clarification of transmission terms in host-microparasite models: numbers, densities and areas,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 147–153, 2002.
- T. J. Habib, E. H. Merrill, M. J. Pybus, and D. W. Coltman, “Modelling landscape effects on density-contact rate relationships of deer in eastern Alberta: implications for chronic wasting disease,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 222, no. 15, pp. 2722–2732, 2011.