- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 816386, 6 pages
Radioactive Iodine Therapy Decreases Recurrence in Thyroid Papillary Microcarcinoma
1Department of Radiation Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, Mailstop no. 90-38-635, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
2Division of Nuclear Medicine, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S. Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8223, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
3Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, McMillan Hospital, 517 S. Euclid Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
4Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiation Oncology, The Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, Mailstop #90-38-635, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Received 10 October 2011; Accepted 24 November 2011
Academic Editors: J. Nedvídková and D. T. Papadimitriou
Copyright © 2012 Kimberly M. Creach et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. L. Mazzaferri, “Long-term outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma: effect of therapy,” Endocrine Practice, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 469–476, 2000.
- C. E. Palme, Z. Waseem, S. N. Raza, S. Eski, P. Walfish, and J. L. Freeman, “Management and outcome of recurrent well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 819–824, 2004.
- D. Giordano, P. Gradoni, G. Oretti, E. Molina, and T. Ferri, “Treatment and prognostic factors of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma,” Clinical Otolaryngology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 118–124, 2010.
- Y. Giles Senyurek, F. Tunca, H. Boztepe, F. Alagöl, T. Terzioglu, and S. Tezelman, “The long term outcome of papillary thyroid carcinoma patients without primary central lymph node dissection: expected improvement of routine dissection,” Surgery, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 1188–1195, 2009.
- S. K. Baek, K. Y. Jung, S. M. Kang et al., “Clinical risk factors associated with cervical lymph node recurrence in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2010.
- C. Hedinger, E. D. Williams, and L. H. Sobin, “The WHO histological classification of thyroid tumors: a commentary on the second edition,” Cancer, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 908–911, 1989.
- I. Sugitani, K. Toda, K. Yamada, N. Yamamoto, M. Ikenaga, and Y. Fujimoto, “Three distinctly different kinds of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma should be recognized: our treatment strategies and outcomes,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1222–1231, 2010.
- N. Arora, H. K. Turbendian, M. A. Kato, T. A. Moo, R. Zarnegar, and T. J. Fahey, “Papillary thyroid carcinoma and microcarcinoma: is there a need to distinguish the two?” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 473–477, 2009.
- C. Cappelli, M. Castellano, M. Braga et al., “Aggressiveness and outcome of papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC) versus microcarcinoma (PMC): a mono-institutional experience,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 555–560, 2007.
- D. S. Cooper, G. M. Doherty, B. R. Haugen et al., “Revised American thyroid association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1167–1214, 2009.
- S. M. Chow, S. C. K. Law, J. K. C. Chan, S. K. Au, S. Yau, and W. H. Lau, “Papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid-prognostic significance of lymph node metastasis and multifocality,” Cancer, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 31–40, 2003.
- G. Mercante, A. Frasoldati, C. Pedroni et al., “Prognostic factors affecting neck lymph node recurrence and distant metastasis in papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid: results of a study in 445 patients,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 707–716, 2009.
- I. D. Hay, M. E. Hutchinson, T. Gonzalez-Losada et al., “Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a study of 900 cases observed in a 60-year period,” Surgery, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 980–988, 2008.
- D. S. Ross, D. Litofsky, K. B. Ain et al., “Recurrence after treatment of micropapillary thyroid cancer,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1043–1048, 2009.
- C. Y. Lo, W. F. Chan, B. H. H. Lang, K. Y. Lam, and K. Y. Wan, “Papillary microcarcinoma: is there any difference between clinically overt and occult tumors?” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 759–766, 2006.
- S. Noguchi, H. Yamashita, S. Uchino, and S. Watanabe, “Papillary microcarcinoma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 747–753, 2008.
- E. Roti, R. Rossi, G. Trasforini et al., “Clinical and histological characteristics of papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: results of a retrospective study in 243 patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 2171–2178, 2006.
- K. D. Lin, J. D. Lin, M. J. Huang et al., “Clinical presentations and predictive variables of thyroid microcarcinoma with distant metastasis,” International Surgery, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 378–381, 1997.
- M. L. Fiorotto and W. J. Klish, “Total body electrical conductivity measurements in the neonate,” Clinics in Perinatology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 611–627, 1991.
- A. Pisanu, I. Reccia, O. Nardello, and A. Uccheddu, “Risk factors for nodal metastasis and recurrence among patients with papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: differences in clinical relevance between nonincidental and incidental tumors,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 460–468, 2009.
- P. W. Grigsby, R. M. Reddy, J. F. Moley, and B. L. Hall, “Contralateral papillary thyroid cancer at completion thyroidectomy has no impact on recurrence or survival after radioiodine treatment,” Surgery, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1043–1049, 2006.
- M. R. Pelizzo, I. M. Boschin, A. Toniato et al., “Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma (PTMC): prognostic factors, management and outcome in 403 patients,” European Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1144–1148, 2006.
- N. Ö. Küçük, P. Tari, E. Tokmak, and G. Aras, “Treatment for microcarcinoma of the thyroid—clinical experience,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 279–281, 2007.
- V. Fatourechi, I. D. Hay, B. P. Mullan et al., “Are posttherapy radioiodine scans informative and do they influence subsequent therapy of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer?” Thyroid, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 573–577, 2000.
- S. I. Sherman, E. T. Tielens, S. Sostre, M. D. Wharam, and P. W. Ladenson, “Clinical utility of posttreatment radioiodine scans in the management of patients with thyroid carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 629–634, 1994.
- C. Dueren, M. Dietlein, M. Luster et al., “The use of thyrogen® in the treatment of differentiated thyroid carcinoma: an intraindividual comparison of clinical effects and implications of daily life,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 513–519, 2010.
- R. J. Robbins, A. Driedger, and J. Magner, “Recombinant human thyrotropin-assisted radioiodine therapy for patients with metastatic thyroid cancer who could not elevate endogenous thyrotropin or be withdrawn from thyroxine,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1121–1130, 2006.
- C. A. Perez, L. W. Brady, and E. C. Halperin, Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 5th edition, 2004.
- K. Nakada, T. Ishibashi, T. Takei et al., “Does lemon candy decrease salivary gland damage after radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer?” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 2005.
- M. A. Walter, C. P. Turtschi, C. Schindler, P. Minnig, J. Müller-Brand, and B. Müller, “The dental safety profile of high-dose radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer: long-term results of a longitudinal cohort study,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1620–1625, 2007.
- R. T. Kloos, V. Duvuuri, S. M. Jhiang, K. V. Cahill, J. A. Foster, and J. A. Burns, “Nasolacrimal drainage system obstruction from radioactive iodine therapy for thyroid carcinoma,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 12, pp. 5817–5820, 2002.
- S. R. Bomeli, B. Schaitkin, R. L. Carrau, and R. R. Walvekar, “Interventional sialendoscopy for treatment of radioiodine-induced sialadenitis,” Laryngoscope, vol. 119, no. 5, pp. 864–867, 2009.
- A. M. Sawka, L. Thabane, L. Parlea et al., “Second primary malignancy risk after radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Thyroid, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 451–457, 2009.
- J. Almeida, J. G. Vartanian, and L. P. Kowalski, “Clinical predictors of quality of life in patients with initial differentiated thyroid cancers,” Archives of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 342–346, 2009.
- R. R. Malterling, R. E. Andersson, S. Falkmer, U. Falkmer, E. Niléhn, and J. Jrhult, “Differentiated thyroid cancer in a Swedish county long-term results and quality of life,” Acta Oncologica, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 454–459, 2010.
- H. C. Yang, L. M. Thornton, C. L. Shapiro, and B. L. Andersen, “Surviving recurrence: psychological and quality-of-life recovery,” Cancer, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1178–1187, 2008.
- B. L. Andersen, C. L. Shapiro, W. B. Farrar, T. Crespin, and S. Welis-DiGregorio, “Psychological responses to cancer recurrence: a controlled prospective study,” Cancer, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 1540–1547, 2005.
- A. Siddiqi, C. W. Given, B. Given, and A. Sikorskii, “Quality of life among patients with primary, metastatic and recurrent cancer,” European Journal of Cancer Care, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 84–96, 2009.
- W. D. Rosmolen, K. R. Boer, R. J. R. De Leeuw et al., “Quality of life and fear of cancer recurrence after endoscopic and surgical treatment for early neoplasia in Barretts esophagus,” Endoscopy, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 525–531, 2010.
- L. J. Hodges and G. M. Humphris, “Fear of recurrence and psychological distress in head and neck cancer patients and their carers,” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 841–848, 2009.
- K. Härtl, W. Janni, R. Kästner et al., “Impact of medical and demographic factors on long-term quality of life image of breast cancer patients,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 1064–1071, 2003.
- S. S. Mehta, D. P. Lubeck, D. J. Pasta, and M. S. Litwin, “Fear of cancer recurrence in patients undergoing definitive treatment for prostate cancer: results from capsure,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 1931–1933, 2003.