- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 819719, 10 pages
Chemical Degradation of Epoxy-Polyamide Primer by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy
Department of Chemistry, College of Science, Eritrea Institute of Technology, Mai Nefhi, Asmara, Eritrea
Received 24 February 2012; Accepted 10 April 2012
Academic Editors: K. N. Allahar, G. Bereket, C. V. D'Alkaine, and R. Salghi
Copyright © 2012 Ramesh Duraisamy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Kouloumbi, G. M. Tsangaris, and S. T. Kyvelidis, “Evaluation of corrosion behavior of metal-filled polymeric coatings,” Journal of Coatings Technology, vol. 66, no. 839, pp. 83–88, 1994.
- H. Leidheiser, “Towards a better understanding of corrosion beneath organiccoatings,” Corrosion, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 189–201, 1983.
- F. Deflorian, S. Rossi, P. Kamarchik, L. Fedrizzi, and P. L. Bonora, “Degradation mechanism of electrodeposited coatings in alkaline solution,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 103–111, 2003.
- P. Li, T. C. Tan, and J. Y. Lee, “Corrosion protection of mild steel by electroactive polyaniline,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 237–242, 1997.
- D. M. Lenz, M. Delamar, and C. A. Ferreir, “Improvement of the anticorrosion properties of polypyrrole by zinc phosphate pigment incorporation,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 64–67, 2007.
- D. Ramesh and T. Vasudevan, “Synthesis and physico-chemical evaluation of water,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 93–98, 2009.
- X. Liu, J. Xiong, Y. Lv, and Y. Zuo, “Study on corrosion electrochemical behavior of several different coating systems by EIS,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 497–503, 2009.
- K. Ramesh, S. Ramesh, and A. K. Arof, “Study on the properties of the hybrid organic coatings for corrosion protection,” International Journal of Fundamental Physical Sciences, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 34–36, 2011.
- R. Pang, Y. Zuo, Y.-M. Tang, and J.-P. Xiong, “Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study of failure process of an epoxy/fluorocarbon coating system,” Acta Physico—Chimica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1146–1152, 2012.
- F. Deflorian, L. Fedrizzi, S. Rossi, F. Buratti, and P. L. Bonora, Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 41, p. 93, 2001.
- J. R. Scully and S. T. Hensley, “Lifetime prediction for organic coatings on steel and a magnesium alloy using electrochemical impedance methods,” Corrosion, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 705–716, 1994.
- E. P. M. van Westing, G. M. Ferrari, and J. H. W. de Wit, “The determination of coating performance with impedance measurements-III. In situ determination of loss of adhesion,” Corrosion Science, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 979–994, 1994.
- E. P. M. van Westing, G. M. Ferrari, and J. H. W. de Wit, “The determination of coating performance with impedance measurements-I. Coating polymer properties,” Corrosion Science, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1511–1530, 1993.
- G. Grundmeier, W. Schmidt, and M. Stratmann, “Corrosion protection by organic coatings: electrochemical mechanism and novel methods of investigation,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 45, no. 15-16, pp. 2515–2533, 2000.
- L. V. S. Philippe, S. B. Lyon, C. Sammon, and J. Yarwood, “Validation of electrochemical impedance measurements for water sorption into epoxy coatings using gravimetry and infra-red spectroscopy,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 887–896, 2008.
- D. Raps, T. Hack, J. Wehr et al., “Electrochemical study of inhibitor-containing organic-inorganic hybrid coatings on AA2024,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1012–1021, 2009.
- N. Pebere, T. Picaud, M. Duprat, and F. Dabosi, “Evaluation of corrosion performance of coated steel by the impedance technique,” Corrosion Science, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1073–1086, 1989.
- E. Spengler, F. L. Fragata, I. C. P. Margarit, and O. R. Mattos, “Corrosion protection of low toxicity paints,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 1997.
- S. Haruyama, M. Asari, and T. Tsuru, “Mass transport in blistering of coating steel,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Corrosion Protection by Organic Coatings, M. Kendig and H. Leihaiser Jr., Eds., vol. 87-2, Electrochemical Society ECS, Pennington, NJ, USA, 1987.
- G. P. Bierwagen, L. He, J. Li, L. Ellingson, and D. E. Tallman, “Studies of a new accelerated evaluation method for coating corrosion resistance—thermal cycling testing,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 2000.
- M. C. S. S. Macedo, I. C. P. Margarit-Mattos, F. L. Fragata, J. B. Jorcin, N. Pébère, and O. R. Mattos, “Contribution to a better understanding of different behaviour patterns observed with organic coatings evaluated by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1322–1327, 2009.
- John R. Scully, “Electrochemical impedance of organic-coated steel: correlation of impedance parameters with long-term coating deterioration,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 979–990, 1989.
- J. R. Scully and H. P. Hack, “Defect area determination of organic coated steels in seawater using the breakpoint frequency method,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 1991.
- J. Scully and M. Kendig, “Basic aspects of electrochemical impedance application for the life prediction of organic coatings on metals,” Corrosion, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 22–29, 1990.
- F. Mansfeld, S. L. Jeanjaquet, and M. W. Kendig, “An electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study of reactions at the metal/coating interface,” Corrosion Science, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 735–742, 1986.
- B. J. Hepburn, K. R. Gravers, and T. D. Scantlebury, British Corrosion Journal, vol. 21, p. 105, 1986.
- F. M. Geenen, J. H. W. De Wit, and E. P. M. Van Westing, “An impedance spectroscopy study of the degradation mechanism for a model epoxy coating on mild steel,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 299–312, 1990.
- S. Masadeh, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 2005.
- D. Ramesh, P. Shakkthivel, A. Susaimanickam, A. Kalpana, and T. Vasudevan, Corrosion Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 62–68, 2006.
- K. Kamaraj, S. Sathiyanarayanan, and G. Venkatachari, “Electropolymerised polyaniline films on AA 7075 alloy and its corrosion protection performance,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2009.
- S. Skale, V. Doleček, and M. Slemnik, “Electrochemical impedance studies of corrosion protected surfaces covered by epoxy polyamide coating systems,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 387–392, 2008.
- S. Chaudhari, S. R. Sainkar, and P. P. Patil, “Poly(o-ethylaniline) coatings for stainless steel protection,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 54–63, 2007.
- D. Shikha, P. K. Kamani, and M. C. Shukla, “Studies on synthesis of water-borne epoxy ester based on RBO fatty acids,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 87–94, 2003.
- G. W. Walter and, Corrosion Science, vol. 26, p. 22, 1986.
- A. M. Nagiub, “Evaluation of corrosion behavior of copper in chloride media using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS),” Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta, vol. 23, pp. 301–314, 2005.
- D. F. Wei, I. Chatterjee, and D. A. Jones, Corrosionp, vol. 52, p. 417, 1996.
- S. González, M. A. Gil, J. O. Hernández, V. Fox, and R. M. Souto, “Resistance to corrosion of galvanized steel covered with an epoxy-polyamide primer coating,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 41, no. 1–3, pp. 167–170, 2001.
- A. M. Fenelon and C. B. Breslin, “An electrochemical study of the formation of benzotriazole surface films on copper, zinc and a copper-zinc alloy,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 509–516, 2001.
- F. El-Taib Heakal and S. Haruyama, “Impedance studies of the inhibitive effect of benzotriazole on the corrosion of copper in sodium chloride medium,” Corrosion Science, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 887–898, 1980.
- D. O. Mac Donald, Impedance Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, 1987.
- F. Mansfeld, “Discussion of “determination of the reactive area of organic coated metals: physical meaning and limits of the break-point method”, a comment on the paper by F. Deflorian et al.,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 1451–1452, 1994.
- K.-M. Yin and L. I. Lu, “Parametric study on the electrochemical impedance spectroscopy of organic-coated steels in hydrochloric acid solutions,” Journal of Coatings Technology, vol. 75, no. 941, pp. 65–72, 2003.
- S. C. J. Atwood, Oil and Colour Chemists' Association, vol. 4, p. 128, 1992.
- D. Ramesh, Development of water-based paints and their evaluation [Ph.D. thesis], Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India, 2004.
- E. P. M. van Westing, G. M. Ferrari, and J. H. W. De Wit, “The determination of coating performance using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 899–910, 1994.
- D. M. Dražić and Z. Kačarević-Popović, “The sorption characteristics of epoxy coatings electrodeposited on steel during exposure to different corrosive agents,” Corrosion Science, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1513–1523, 1996.
- J. J. Suay, M. T. Rodríguez, K. A. Razzaq, J. J. Carpio, and J. J. Saura, “The evaluation of anticorrosive automotive epoxy coatings by means of electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2003.
- C. Lepen, et al., Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 46, p. 77, 2003.
- S. G. Real, A. C. Elias, J. R. Vilche, C. A. Gervasi, and A. Di Sarli, “An electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study of zinc rich paints on steels in artificial sea water by a transmission line model,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 2029–2035, 1993.
- O. Ferraz, E. Cavalcanti, and A. R. Di Sarli, “The characterization of protective properties for some naval steel/polimeric coating/3% NaCl solution systems by EIS and visual assessment,” Corrosion Science, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1267–1280, 1995.