- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 823608, 8 pages
Conditions Associated with Childhood Asthma in North Texas
College of Nursing, University of Texas at Arlington, 411 South Nedderman Drive, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
Received 20 April 2012; Accepted 19 July 2012
Academic Editors: S. Burastero, D. C. Cara, B. F. Gibbs, N. G. Papadopoulos, T. A. Popov, C. K. Wong, and L.-F. Zhou
Copyright © 2012 Patricia Newcomb and Alaina Cyr. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement, “Oral health risk assessment timing and establishment of the dental home,” Pediatrics, vol. 111, pp. 1113–1116, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Child Lifetime Asthma Prevalence Rate (Percent) and Prevalence (Number) by State or Territory: BRFSS, 2010, http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/brfss/2010/child/lifetime/tableL1.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) Data. Lifetime prevalence percents by age: United States, 2009, http://www.cdc.gov/asthma/nhis/09/table2-1.htm.
- J. Z. Smith, “Tarrant still leads Texas in natural gas production,” Star Telegram, Fort Worth, 2011.
- Eastern Research Group, “Natural Gas Air Quality Study (Final Report),” 2011, http://fortworthtexas.gov/gaswells/default.aspx?id=87074.
- L. T. Brewer, Tarrant County Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2004-2005 Executive Summary, Tarrant County Public Health Department, Fort Worth, Tex, USA, 2005.
- Cook Children's Health System Community-Wide Children's Health Assessment and Planning Survey (CCHAPS), 2008, http://www.cchaps.org/.
- Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, National Survey of Children's Health, 2007, http://www.nschdata.org/.
- Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, National survey of children's health, 2006, http://www.nschdata.org/.
- American Lung Association, “Trends in asthma morbidity and mortality,” 2011, http://www.lungusa.org/finding-cures/our-research/trend-reports/asthma-trend-report.pdf.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Summary Health Statistics For U.S. Children: National Health Interview Survey,” Series 10, pp. 4–9, 2007.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Asthma Prevalence,” 2011, http://cfpub.epa.gov/eroe/index.cfm?fuseaction=detail.viewInd&lv=list.listbyalpha& r=235294&subtop=381.
- R. J. Delfino, “Epidemiologic evidence for asthma and exposure to air toxics: linkages between occupational, indoor, and community air pollution research,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 110, supplement 4, pp. 573–589, 2002.
- R. McConnell, K. Berhane, L. Yao et al., “Traffic, susceptibility, and childhood asthma,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 766–772, 2006.
- Consumer Expenditure Survey, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Table 56: Income before taxes: Shares of annual aggregate expenditures and sources of income, Consumer Expenditure Survey, 2010,” 2011, http://www.bls.gov/cex/2010/aggregate/income.pdf.
- N. K. Cauthen, “Testimony on Measuring Poverty in America,” Testimony before the House Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, Committee on Ways and Means, 2007, http://www.nccp.org/publications/pdf/text_752.pdf.
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission (THHSC), Texas Medicaid and CHIP in Perspective (the "Pink Book"), 8th edition, 2011, http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/medicaid/reports/PB8/PinkBookTOC.html.
- T. D. Hill, L. M. Graham, and V. Divgi, “Racial disparities in pediatric asthma: a review of the literature,” Current Allergy and Asthma Reports, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2011.
- Y. Zeldin, M. I. Kidon, E. Magen et al., “Impact of specific allergen sensitization on the prevalence of asthma in patients with allergic rhinitis from adjacent distinct geographic areas,” Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2008.
- S. Hamouda, C. Karila, T. Connault, P. Scheinmann, and J. De Blic, “Allergic rhinitis in children with asthma: a questionnaire-based study,” Clinical and Experimental Allergy, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 761–766, 2008.
- J. Bousquet, N. Khaltaev, A. A. Cruz et al., “Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma (ARIA) 2008,” Allergy, vol. 63, no. 86, pp. 8–160, 2008.
- B. Schramm, B. Ehlken, A. Smala, K. Quednau, K. Berger, and D. Nowak, “Cost of illness of atopic asthma and seasonal allergic rhinitis in Germany: 1-yr retrospective study,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 116–122, 2003.
- J. Crystal-Peters, C. Neslusan, W. H. Crown, and A. Torres, “Treating allergic rhinitis in patients with comorbid asthma: the risk of asthma-related hospitalizations and emergency department visits,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 2002.
- A. D. Goldbart, J. Krishna, R. C. Li, L. D. Serpero, and D. Gozal, “Inflammatory mediators in exhaled breath condensate of children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 143–148, 2006.
- R. Ersu, A. R. Arman, D. Save et al., “Prevalence of snoring and symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing in primary school children in Istanbul,” Chest, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2004.
- Ö. Ceran, S. Aka, D. Öztemel, B. Uyanik, and T. Özkozaci, “The relationship of tonsillar hyperplasia and asthma in a group of asthmatic children,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 775–778, 2004.
- M. Fagnano, E. Van Wijngaarden, H. V. Connolly, M. A. Carno, E. Forbes-Jones, and J. S. Halterman, “Sleep-disordered breathing and behaviors of inner-city children with asthma,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 218–225, 2009.
- B. A. Smart, “Pediatric rhinosinusitis and its relationship to asthma and allergic rhinitis,” Pediatric Asthma, Allergy and Immunology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 88–98, 2005.
- G. M. Kieckhefer, M. J. Lentz, S. Y. Tsai, and T. M. Ward, “Parent-child agreement in report of nighttime respiratory symptoms and sleep disruptions and quality,” Journal of Pediatric Health Care, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 315–326, 2009.
- L. Cottrell, W. A. Neal, C. Ice, M. K. Perez, and G. Piedimonte, “Metabolic abnormalities in children with asthma,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 441–448, 2011.
- C. D. Bethell, M. D. Kogan, B. B. Strickland, E. L. Schor, J. Robertson, and P. W. Newacheck, “A national and state profile of leading health problems and health care quality for US children: key insurance disparities and across-state variations,” Academic Pediatrics, vol. 11, supplement 3, pp. S22–S33, 2011.
- B. McGinley and N. M. Punjabi, “Obesity, metabolic abnormalities, and asthma: establishing causal links,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 424–425, 2011.
- S. O. Shaheen, J. A. C. Sterne, S. M. Montgomery, and H. Azima, “Birth weight, body mass index and asthma in young adults,” Thorax, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 396–402, 1999.
- L. Y. Wang, F. J. Cerny, T. J. Kufel, and B. J. B. Grant, “Simulated obesity-related changes in lung volume increases airway responsiveness in lean, nonasthmatic subjects,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 834–840, 2006.