- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 830103, 11 pages
Entropy Generation Analysis of Human Thermal Stress Responses
1Sandia National Laboratories, P.O. Box 5800, Albuquerque, NM 87185, USA
2Department of Engineering, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, KY 42101, USA
3Department of Engineering Technology, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Received 18 October 2012; Accepted 12 November 2012
Academic Editors: S. Hashimoto and M. Sanati
Copyright © 2012 Satish C. Boregowda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Aoki, “Entropy flow and entropy production in the human body in basal conditions,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 1989.
- I. Aoki, “Effects of exercise and chills on entropy production in human body,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 145, no. 3, pp. 421–428, 1990.
- C. E. Smith, A transient three-dimensional model of thehuman thermal system [Ph.D. thesis], Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan, USA, 1991.
- G. Fu, A transient, three-dimensional mathematical model for clothed human [Ph.D. thesis], Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan, USA, 1995.
- S. C. Boregowda and S. N. Tiwari, “Numerical investigation of thermal comfort using a finite element human thermal model,” in Proceedings of the 8th Joint AIAA/ASME Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Conference, AIAA Paper No. 2002-2877, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 2002.
- E. P. Gyftopoulos and G. P. Beretta, Thermodynamics: Foundations and Applications, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- L. L. Langley, Homeostasis, Reinhold Book Corporation, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- B. W. Jones, “Capabilities and limitations of thermal models for use in thermal comfort standards,” Energy and Buildings, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 653–659, 2002.
- B. Givoni and R. F. Goldman, “Predicting metabolic energy cost.,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 429–433, 1971.
- A. P. Gagge, J. A. J. Stolwijk, and Y. Nishi, “An effective temperature scale based on a simple model of human physiological regulatory response,” ASHRAE Transactions, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 247–262, 1971.
- J. A. J. Stolwijk, “A Mathematical Model of Physiological Temperature Regulation in Man,” NASA Contractor Report NASA CR-1855, 1971.
- Y. Cheng, J. Niu, and N. Gao, “Thermal comfort models: a review and numerical investigation,” Building and Environment, vol. 47, pp. 13–22, 2011.
- N. Z. Azer and S. Hsu, “The prediction of thermal sensation from a simple thermoregulatory model,” ASHRAE Transactions, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 88–124, 1977.
- E. H. Wissler, “Mathematical simulation of human thermal behavior using whole body models,” in Heat Transfer in Medicine and Biology., A. Shitzer and R. C. Eberhart, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 325–373, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- B. W. Jones and Y. Ogawa, “Transient interaction between the human body and the thermal environment,” ASHRAE Transactions, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 189–195, 1992.
- D. Fiala, K. J. Lomas, and M. Stohrer, “A computer model of human thermoregulation for a wide range of environmental conditions: the passive system,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1957–1972, 1999.
- C. Huizenga, H. Zhang, and E. Arens, “A model of human physiology and comfort for assessing complex thermal environments,” Building and Environment, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 691–699, 2001.
- R. McGuffin, R. Burke, C. Huizenga, Z. Hui, A. Vlahinos, and G. Fu, “Human thermal comfort model and manikin,” SAE Technical Paper Series Paper No. 2002-01-1955, 2002.
- S. Tanabe, T. Tsuziki, K. Kimura, and S. Horikawa, “Numerical simulation model of thermal regulation of man with 16 body parts of evaluating thermal environment,” in Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting, Architectural Institute of Japan, 1995.
- L. J. Segerlind, Applied Finite Element Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1984.
- G. Nicolis and I. Prigogine, Self-Organization in Nonequilibrium Systems, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- J. D. Hardy and G. F. Soderstrom, “Heat loss from the nude body and peripheral blood flow at temperatures of 22°C to 35°C,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 15, pp. 435–447, 1938.
- E. Grandjean, Fitting the Task to the Man, Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 1981.
- D. A. McIntyre, “Design requirements for a comfortable environment,” in Bioengineering, K. Cena and J. A. Clark, Eds., pp. 195–220, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 1981.
- K. H. E. Kroemer, H. B. Kroemer, and K. E. Kroemer-Elbert, Ergonomics: How to Design for Ease and Efficiency, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1994.
- P. O. Fanger, Thermal Comfort, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- R. A. Fisher, Design of Experiments, Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, UK, 1951.
- R. Roy, A Primer on Taguchi Method, D. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- ASHRAE, ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals, Chapter 8, 2009.
- B. A. Hertig and H. S. Belding, “Evaluation and Control of Heat Hazards,” in Temperature—Its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, J. D. Hardy, Ed., vol. 3, pp. 347–355, Reinhold, New York, NY, USA, 1963.