- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 835397, 6 pages
Hysteresis of Isotherms of Mixed Monolayers of N-Octadecyl-N′-phenylthiourea and Stearic Acid at Air/Water Interface
Department of Chemistry, University of Botswana, PB 00704, Gaborone, Botswana
Received 11 October 2012; Accepted 2 December 2012
Academic Editors: J. J. Lopez Cascales, G. Pellicane, and P. O. Westlund
Copyright © 2012 Siji Sudheesh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. M. Kaganer, H. Möhwald, and P. Dutta, “Structure and phase transitions in Langmuir monolayers,” Reviews of Modern Physics, vol. 71, pp. 779–819, 1999.
- T. H. Chou and C. H. Chang, “Thermodynamic behavior and relaxation processes of mixed DPPC/cholesterol monolayers at the air/water interface,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 71–79, 2000.
- T. H. Chou and C. H. Chang, “Thermodynamic characteristics of mixed DPPC/DHDP monolayers on water and phosphate buffer subphases,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 3385–3390, 2000.
- J. M. Chovelon, K. Wan, and N. Jaffrezic-Renault, “Influence of the surface pressure on the organization of mixed Langmuir-Blodgett films of octadecylamine and butyrylcholinesterase. 1. Film preparation at the air-water interface,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 15, pp. 6223–6227, 2000.
- C. Malitesta, A. Tepore, L. Valli, A. Genga, and T. Siciliano, “X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy characterisation of Langmuir-Blodgett films containing TiO2 nanoparticles grown by room-temperature hydrolysis of TiO(C2O4)22-,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 422, no. 1-2, pp. 112–119, 2002.
- B. I. Denis, E. A. Alexander, T. S. Dmitry, I. K. Vladimir, A. V. Vladimir, and K. A. Maria, “2D “soap”-assembly of nanoparticles via colloid-induced condensation of mixed Langmuir monolayers of fatty surfactants,” Langmuir, vol. 28, pp. 125–133, 2012.
- M. Weis, K. Gmucová, V. Nádaždy et al., “Control of single-electron charging of metallic nanoparticles onto amorphous silicon surface,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 5684–5689, 2008.
- G. Clavel, C. Marichy, M. G. Willinger, S. Ravaine, D. Zitoun, and N. Pinna, “CoFe2O4-TiO2 and CoFe2O4-ZnO thin film nanostructures elaborated from colloidal chemistry and atomic layer deposition,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 23, pp. 18400–18407, 2010.
- J. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, S. W. Choi, Y. J. Cho, and J. H. Kim, “Hexagonally close packed langmuir-blodgett films from monodispersed silica nanoparticles,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 7007–7011, 2009.
- E. Fulop, N. Nagy, A. Deak, and I. Barsony, “Langmuir-Blodgett films of gold/silica core/shell nanorods,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 520, pp. 7002–7005, 2012.
- N. Nagy, Z. Zolnai, A. Deák, M. Fried, and I. Bársony, “Various nanostructures on macroscopically large areas prepared by tunable ion-swelling,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 6712–6717, 2012.
- W. Wang, L. Liang, A. Johs, and B. Gu, “Thin films of uniform hematite nanoparticles: control of surface hydrophobicity and self-assembly,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 47, pp. 5770–5775, 2008.
- P. Pienpinijtham, X. X. Han, S. Ekgasit, and Y. Ozaki, “An ionic surfactant-mediated Langmuir-Blodgett method to construct gold nanoparticle films for surface-enhanced Raman scattering,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 14, no. 29, pp. 10132–10139, 2012.
- K. Vegso, P. Siffalovic, M. Jergel et al., “Silver nanoparticle monolayer-to-bilayer transition at the air/water interface as studied by the GISAXS technique: application of a new paracrystal model,” Langmuir, vol. 28, pp. 9395–9404, 2012.
- M. Negar, D. Oksana, S. Kinga, and S. Patrick, “Monolayers of an amphiphilic para-carboxy-calixarene act as templates for the crystallization of acetaminophen,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 377, pp. 450–455, 2012.
- E. Pechkova, D. Scudieri, L. Belmonte, and C. Nicolini, “Oxygen-bound hell's gate globin I by classical versus LB nanotemplate method,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 113, pp. 2543–2548, 2012.
- W. Ren, Y. Li, M. Chen, B. Liu, X. Li, and M. Dong, “Oriented growth of single NaCl (100) crystal induced by Langmuir-Blodgett film,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 230–235, 2011.
- R. Gaynutdinov, V. Fridkin, and H. Kliem, “Growth and switching of ferroelectric nanocrystals from ultrathin film of copolymer of vinylidene fluoride and trifluoroethylene,” Journal of Nanotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 180104, 5 pages, 2011.
- N. Bagkar, S. Choudhury, K. H. Kim, P. Chowdhury, S. I. Lee, and J. V. Yakhmi, “Crystalline thin films of transition metal hexacyanochromates grown under Langmuir monolayer,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 513, no. 1-2, pp. 325–330, 2006.
- L. H. Wee, Z. Wang, L. Tosheva, L. Itani, V. Valtchev, and A. M. Doyle, “Silicalite-1 films with preferred orientation,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol. 116, no. 1–3, pp. 22–27, 2008.
- F. Lu, X. Zhao, G. Zhou, H. S. Wang, and Y. Ozaki, “Control for oriented growth of large size KCl crystals by the competition between spontaneous and induced nucleation/growth on a Langmuir-Blodgett film,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 458, no. 1–3, pp. 67–70, 2008.
- F. Lu, G. Zhou, H. J. Zhai, Y. B. Wang, and H. S. Wang, “Nucleation and growth of glycine crystals with controllable sizes and polymorphs on langmuir-blodgett films,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 2654–2657, 2007.
- K. Sato, Y. Kumagai, K. Watari, and J. Tanaka, “Hierarchical texture of calcium carbonate crystals grown on a polymerized Langmuir-Blodgett film,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 2979–2981, 2004.
- A. P. Girard-Egrot, R. M. Morelis, and P. R. Coulet, “Dependence of Langmuir-Blodgett film quality on fatty acid monolayer integrity. 2. Crucial effect of the removal rate of monolayer during Langmuir-Blodgett film deposition,” Langmuir, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3107–3110, 1993.
- N. P. Hughes, D. Heard, C. C. Perry, and R. J. P. Williams, “Controlled deposition of strontium sulphate on behenic acid Langmuir-Blodgett multilayers,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 146–153, 1991.
- E. M. Landau, S. G. Wolf, J. Sagiv et al., “Design and surface synchrotron x-ray structure analysis of Langmuir films for crystal nucleation,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 61, pp. 673–684, 1989.
- C. Lendrum and K. M. McGrath, “Toward controlled nucleation: balancing monolayer chemistry with monolayer fluidity,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 4463–4470, 2010.
- S. Pathirana, W. C. Neely, L. J. Myers, and V. Vodyanoy, “Interaction of valinomycin and stearic acid in monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1984–1987, 1992.
- M. Puggelli, G. Gabrielli, and G. Caminati, “Langmuir-Blodgett monolayers and multilayers of stearic acid and stearyl amine,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 244, no. 1-2, pp. 1050–1054, 1994.
- R. Stosch and H. K. Cammenga, “Molecular interactions in mixed monolayers of octadecanoic acid and three related amphiphiles,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 230, no. 2, pp. 291–297, 2000.
- W. Cordroch and D. Möbius, “Incorporation of non-amphiphilic compounds into host monolayers,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 210-211, no. 1, pp. 135–137, 1992.
- A. M. P. S. Gonçalves da Silva, D. A. Armitage, and R. G. Linford, “Mixed langmuir films of 1-heptadecanoic acid and 1-bromohexadecane,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 433–437, 1993.
- A. M. Gonçalves da Silva, J. C. Guerreiro, N. G. Rodrigues, and T. O. Rodrigues, “Mixed monolayers of heptadecanoic acid with chlorohexadecane and bromohexadecane. Effects of temperature and of metal ions in the subphase,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 18, pp. 4442–4448, 1996.
- Y. L. Lee, Y. C. Yang, and Y. J. Shen, “Monolayer characteristics of mixed octadecylamine and stearic acid at the air/water interface,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 4662–4667, 2005.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Conformer selection by monolayer compression,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 108, no. 23, pp. 7434–7435, 1986.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Oxidation of alcohol monolayers by chromic acid,” Langmuir, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 780–781, 1988.
- J. Ahmad, “Reactions in monolayers: oxidation of 1-octadecanethiol catalyzed by octadecylamine,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 963–965, 1996.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Influencing reactivity by monolayer compression: an alcohol dehydration,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 110, no. 24, pp. 8175–8178, 1988.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Reaction of a monolayer with subphase: dehydration of a secondary alcohol over sulfuric acid,” Langmuir, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1098–1101, 1990.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Reactions in monolayers: base-catalyzed ester hydrolysis revisited,” Langmuir, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1797–1799, 1990.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Switching reaction mechanism by monolayer compression: an ester hydrolysis,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 306–308, 1990.
- J. Ahmad and K. B. Astin, “Reactions in monolayers: the oxidation of thiols to disulfides,” Colloids and Surfaces, vol. 49, pp. 281–287, 1990.
- J. M. Berg and L. G. T. Eriksson, “Mixed monolayers and Langmuir-Blodgett films consisting of a fatty amine and a bipolar substance,” Langmuir, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1213–1224, 1994.
- S. S. Gayathri and A. Patnaik, “Interfacial behaviour of brominated fullerene (C60Br24) and stearic acid mixed Langmuir films at air-water interface,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 433, no. 4–6, pp. 317–322, 2007.
- J. M. Corkill, J. F. Goodman, S. P. Harrold, and J. R. Tate, “Monolayers formed by mixtures of anionic and cationic surface-active agents,” Transactions of the Faraday Society, vol. 63, pp. 247–256, 1967.
- A. Asnacios, D. Langevin, and J. F. Argillier, “Complexation of cationic surfactant and anionic polymer at the air-water interface,” Macromolecules, vol. 29, no. 23, pp. 7412–7417, 1996.
- H. Q. Li, P. C. Lv, T. Yan, and H. L. Zhu, “Urea derivatives as anticancer agents,” Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 471–480, 2009.
- J. Stefanska, D. Szulczyk, A. E. Koziol et al., “Di-substituted thiourea derivatives and their activity on CNS: synthesis and biological evaluation,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 55, pp. 205–213, 2012.
- S. van Poecke, H. Munier-Lehmann, O. Helynck, M. Froeyen, and S. V. Calenbergh, “Calenbergh, Synthesis and inhibitory activity of thymidine analogues targeting Mycobacterium tuberculosis thymidine monophosphate kinase,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, pp. 7603–7611, 2011.
- A. Saeed, U. Shaheen, A. Hameed, and S. Z. H. Naqvi, “Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of some new 1-(fluorobenzoyl)-3-(fluorophenyl)thioureas,” Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, vol. 130, no. 11, pp. 1028–1034, 2009.
- L. J. Wilson, S. R. Klopfenstein, and M. Li, “A traceless linker approach to the solid phase synthesis of substituted guanidines utilizing a novel acyl isothiocyanate resin,” Tetrahedron Letters, vol. 40, no. 21, pp. 3999–4002, 1999.
- Y. S. Kang, D. K. Lee, and P. Stroeve, “FTIR and UV-vis spectroscopy studies of Langmuir-Blodgett films of stearic acid/γ-Fe2O3 nanoparticles,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 327-329, no. 1-2, pp. 541–544, 1998.
- A. Sakai, S. H. Wang, L. O. Peres, and L. Caseli, “Controlling the luminescence properties of poly(p-phenylene vinylene) entrapped in Langmuir and Langmuir-Blodgett films of stearic acid,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 161, pp. 1753–1759, 2011.