- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Molecular Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 839427, 9 pages
Isolation of Alcohol Dehydrogenase cDNA and Basal Regulatory Region from Metroxylon sagu
Genetic Engineering Laboratory, Department of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Resource Science and Technology, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Kota Samarahan, 94300 Sarawak, Malaysia
Received 19 June 2012; Accepted 10 July 2012
Academic Editors: A. Montecucco and T. Tozaki
Copyright © 2012 Ching Ching Wee and Hairul Azman Roslan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. R. Benz, J. M. Rhode, and M. B. Cruzan, “Aerenchyma development and elevated alcohol dehydrogenase activity as alternative responses to hypoxic soils in the Piriqueta caroliniana complex,” American Journal of Botany, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 542–550, 2007.
- T. Fukao, R. A. Kennedy, Y. Yamasue, and M. E. Rumpho, “Genetic and biochemical analysis of anaerobically-induced enzymes during seed germination of Echinochloa crus-galli varieties tolerant and intolerant of anoxia,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 54, no. 386, pp. 1421–1429, 2003.
- P. K. Macnicol and J. V. Jacobsen, “Regulation of alcohol dehydrogenase gene expression in barley aleurone by gibberellin and abscisic acid,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 533–539, 2001.
- C. Chang and E. M. Meyerowitz, “Molecular cloning and DNA sequence of the Arabidopsis thaliana alcohol dehydrogenase gene,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 83, no. 5, pp. 1408–1412, 1986.
- E. S. Dennis, W. L. Gerlach, A. J. Pryor et al., “Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase (Adhl) gene of maize,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 3983–4000, 1984.
- H. A. Roslan, Y. Sundaraj, and A. A. S. A. Husaini, “Multiple forms of alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh) genes in sago palm: a preliminary study,” BANWA, vol. 5, no. 1, 2008.
- P. Padmanabhan and S. V. Sahi, “Suppression subtractive hybridization reveals differential gene expression in sunflower grown in high P,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 584–591, 2011.
- H. J. Chung and R. J. Ferl, “Arabidopsis alcohol dehydrogenase expression in both shoots and roots is conditioned by root growth environment,” Plant Physiology, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 429–436, 1999.
- H. Kato-Noguchi, “Osmotic stress increases alcohol dehydrogenase activity in maize seedlings,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 621–623, 2000.
- J. Bailey-Serres and R. Chang, “Sensing and signalling in response to oxygen deprivation in plants and other organisms,” Annals of Botany, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 507–518, 2005.
- M. Trick, E. S. Dennis, K. J. R. Edwards, and W. J. Peacock, “Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase gene family of barley,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 147–160, 1988.
- B. R. Morton, B. S. Gaut, and M. T. Clegg, “Evolution of alcohol dehydrogenase genes in the palm and grass families,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 21, pp. 11735–11739, 1996.
- R. Ellen, “Processing Metroxylon sagu Rottboell (Arecaceae) as a technological complex: a case study from south central Seram, Indonesia,” Economic Botany, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 601–625, 2004.
- K. H. Wan, C. Yu, R. A. George et al., “High-throughput plasmid cDNA library screening,” Nature Protocols, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 624–632, 2006.
- C. C. Wee and H. A. Roslan, “Expressed sequence tags (ESTs) from young leaves of Metroxylon sagu,” 3Biotech. In press.
- J. J. Doyle and J. L. Doyle, “Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue,” Focus, vol. 12, pp. 13–15, 1990.
- S. E. Celniker, D. A. Wheeler, B. Kronmiller et al., “Finishing a whole-genome shotgun: release 3 of the Drosophila melanogaster euchromatic genome sequence,” Genome biology, vol. 3, no. 12 article RESEARCH 0079, 2002.
- C. Burge and S. Karlin, “Prediction of complete gene structures in human genomic DNA,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 78–94, 1997.
- M. A. Frohman, M. K. Dush, and G. R. Martin, “Rapid production of full-length cDNAs from rare transcripts: amplification using a single gene-specific oligonucleotide primer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 85, no. 23, pp. 8998–9002, 1988.
- A. Ashoub and K. S. Abdalla, “A primer-based approach to genome walking,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 237–243, 2006.
- R. Breathnach and P. Chambon, “Organization and expression of eucaryotic split genes coding for proteins,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 50, pp. 349–383, 1981.
- M. Burset, I. A. Seledtsov, and V. V. Solovyev, “SpliceDB: database of canonical and non-canonical mammalian splice sites,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 255–259, 2001.
- B. A. Hanley and M. A. Schuler, “Plant intron sequences: evidence for distinct groups of introns,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 7159–7176, 1988.
- J. W. Brown, C. G. Simpson, G. Thow et al., “Splicing signals and factors in plant intron removal,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 146–149, 2002.
- J. Lin, X. Zhou, Y. Pang et al., “Cloning and characterization of an agglutinin gene from Arisaema lobatum,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 25, no. 5-6, pp. 345–362, 2005.
- J. Messing, D. Geraghty, G. Herdecker, H. Nien-Tai, J. Kridl, and I. Rubenstein, “Plant gene structure,” in Genetic Engineering in Plants, T. Kosuge, O. Merridith, and A. Hollaender, Eds., pp. 211–227, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- H. K. Bayele, “Trypanosoma brucei: a putative RNA polymerase II promoter,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 313–318, 2009.
- W. Qin and V. K. Walker, “Tenebrio molitor antifreeze protein gene identification and regulation,” Gene, vol. 367, no. 1-2, pp. 142–149, 2006.
- G. Ji, J. Zheng, Y. Shen et al., “Predictive modeling of plant messenger RNA polyadenylation sites,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 8, article no. 43, 2007.
- P. S. Manchado, C. Verriès, and C. Tesnière, “Molecular characterization and structural analysis of one alcohol dehydrogenase gene (GV-Adh 1) expressed during ripening of grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) berry,” Plant Science, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 177–187, 1997.
- H. Jörnvall, B. Persson, and J. Jeffery, “Characteristics of alcohol/polyol dehydrogenases. The zinc-containing long-chain alcohol dehydrogenases,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 1987.