- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 863291, 6 pages
The Patient's View of Nursing Care after Hip Fracture
1Department of Orthopaedic, Lund University Hospital, 22185 Lund, Sweden
2Department of Health Sciences, Lund University, 22100 Lund, Sweden
Received 31 March 2012; Accepted 12 June 2012
Academic Editors: C. A. Cefalu and L. Volicer
Copyright © 2012 Ami Hommel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Hutchings, R. Fox, and T. Chesser, “Proximal femoral fractures in the elderly: how are we measuring outcome?” Injury, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1205–1213, 2011.
- G. M. Orosz, J. Magaziner, E. L. Hannan et al., “Association of timing of surgery for hip fracture and patient outcomes,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 291, no. 14, pp. 1738–1743, 2004.
- L. A. Beaupre, J. G. Cinats, A. Senthilselvan et al., “Reduced morbidity for elderly patients with a hip fracture after implementation of a perioperative evidence-based clinical pathway,” Quality and Safety in Health Care, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 375–379, 2006.
- A. Hommel, Improved safety and quality of care for patients with a hip fracture: Intervention audited by the national quality register Rikshöft [Doctoral Dissertation], Department of Health Science, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden, 2007.
- C. Cooper, G. Campion, and L. J. Melton III, “Hip fractures in the elderly: a world-wide projection,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 285–289, 1992.
- L. J. Melton III, “Hip fractures: a worldwide problem today and tomorrow,” Bone, vol. 14, no. 1, supplement, pp. S1–S8, 1993.
- K. G. Thorngren, A. Hommel, P. O. Norrman, J. Thorngren, and H. Wingstrand, “Epidemiology of femoral neck fractures,” Injury, vol. 33, no. 3, supplement, pp. SC1–SC7, 2002.
- D. K. Dhanwal, E. M. Dennison, N. C. Harvey, and C. Cooper, “Epidemiology of hip fracture: worldwide geographic variation,” Indian Journal of Orthopaedics, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2011.
- M. J. Parker, B. K. Dutta, C. Sivaji, and G. A. Pryor, “Subtrochanteric fractures of the femur,” Injury, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 1997.
- L. Stromberg, Hip fractures in the elderly-social, economic, and phycho-logicalaspects of rehabilitation [Ph.D. thesis], Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, 1998.
- A. H. Schmidt, S. E. Asnis, G. I. Haidukewych, K. J. Koval, and K. G. Thorngren, “Femoral neck fractures,” Instructional Course Lectures, vol. 54, pp. 417–445, 2005.
- O. Johnell, C. Cooper, S. Cummings, C. Slemenda, and E. Seeman, “The socioeconomic burden of fractures: today and in the 21st century,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 20–25, 1997.
- K. Zander, “Historical development of outcomes-based care delivery,” Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1998.
- M. M. Dowsey, M. L. Kilgour, N. M. Santamaria, and P. F. M. Choong, “Clinical pathways in hip and knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomised controlled study,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 59–62, 1999.
- P. Burnard, “A method of analysing interview transcripts in qualitative research,” Nurse Education Today, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 461–466, 1991.
- E. Pfeiffer, “A short portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients,” Journal of American Geriatric Sociation, no. 23, pp. 433–441, 1975.
- A. Söderqvist, L. Strömberg, S. Ponzer, and J. Tidermark, “Documenting the cognitive status of hip fracture patients using the Short Portable Mental Status Questionnaire,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 308–314, 2006.
- A. Edlund, M. Lundström, G. Lundström, B. Hedqvist, and Y. Gustafson, “Clinical profile of delirium in patients treated for femoral neck fractures,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 325–329, 1999.
- A. Hommel, K. Ulander, and K. G. Thorngren, “Improvements in pain relief, handling time and pressure ulcers through internal audits of hip fracture patients,” Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2003.
- J. Vassiliadis, K. Hitos, and C. T. Hill, “Factors influencing prehospital and emergency department analgesia administration to patients with femoral neck fractures,” Emergency Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 261–266, 2002.
- G. Archibald, “Patients' experiences of hip fracture,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 385–392, 2003.
- U. Hwang, L. D. Richardson, T. O. Sonuyi, and R. S. Morrison, “The effect of emergency department crowding on the management of pain in older adults with hip fracture,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 270–275, 2006.
- I. Hallström, G. Elandand, and L. Rooke, “Pain and nutrition as experienced by patients with hip fracture,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 639–646, 2000.
- G. B. Dahlman, A. K. Dykes, and G. Elander, “Patients' evaluation of pain and nurses' management of analgesics after surgery. The effect of a study day on the subject of pain for nurses working at the thorax surgery department,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 866–874, 1999.
- A. Dihle, G. Bjølseth, and S. Helseth, “The gap between saying and doing in postoperative pain management,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 469–479, 2006.