- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 873653, 8 pages
Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation of Ufasomes for Dermal Administration of Methotrexate
Chitkara College of Pharmacy, Chitkara University, Punjab, India
Received 19 March 2012; Accepted 9 April 2012
Academic Editors: K. Cal and M. R. Jaafari
Copyright © 2012 Arvind Sharma and Sandeep Arora. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Grassi, R. De Angelis, G. Lamanna, and C. Cervini, “The clinical features of rheumatoid arthritis,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. S18–S24, 1998.
- L. Ryan and P. Brooks, “Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 161–166, 1999.
- T. Pincus, J. R. O'Dell, and J. M. Kremer, “Combination therapy with multiple disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs in rheumatoid arthritis: a preventive strategy,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 131, no. 10, pp. 768–774, 1999.
- B. N. Cronstein, “The mechanism of action of methotrexate,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 739–755, 1997.
- A. E. Van Ede, R. F. J. M. Laan, H. J. Blom, R. A. De Abreu, and L. B. A. Van de Putte, “Methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis: an update with focus on mechanisms involved in toxicity,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 277–292, 1998.
- J. R. O'Dell, “Methotrexate use in rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 779–796, 1997.
- P. T. Condit, “On the site of action of amethopterin,” Science, vol. 134, no. 3488, p. 1421, 1961.
- G. C. Hwang, A. Y. Lin, W. Chen, and R. J. Sharpe, “Development and optimization of a methotrexate topical formulation,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 21, no. 17, pp. 1941–1952, 1995.
- K. Egbaria and N. Weiner, “Liposomes as a topical drug delivery system,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 287–300, 1990.
- A. Sharma, V. kumar, V. Dhillon, A. Gupta, and S. Arora, “Evaluation of transdermal permeability of zidovudine entrapped in oleic acid vesicles Indo-Global Research,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 21–35, 2011.
- V. Dhillon, S. Sharma, S. Jain, A. Sharma, and S. Arora, “Formulation characterization and evaluation of new topical 5-fu by drug entrapment in oleic acid vesicles,” American Journal of PharmTech Research, vol. 1, pp. 1–16, 2011.
- M. Murakami, H. Yoshikawa, K. Takada, and S. Muranishi, “Effect of oleic acid vesicles on intestinal absorption of carboxyfluorescein in rats,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1986.
- T. J. Franz, “Percutaneous absorption. On the relevance of in vitro data,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 190–195, 1975.
- R. R. Warner, M. C. Myers, and D. A. Taylor, “Electron probe analysis of human skin: determination of the water concentration profile,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 218–224, 1988.
- S. Jain, R. Sapre, A. K. Tiwary, and N. K. Jain, “Proultraflexible lipid vesicles for effective transdermal delivery of levonorgestrel: development, characterization, and performance evaluation.,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. E513–E522, 2005.
- R. N. Saha, C. Sajeev, P. R. Jadhav, S. P. Patil, and N. Srinivasan, “Determination of celecoxib in pharmaceutical formulations using UV spectrophotometry and liquid chromatography,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 741–751, 2002.
- G. D. Weinstein, J. L. McCullough, and E. Olsen, “Topical methotrexate therapy for psoriasis,” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 227–230, 1989.
- M. J. Alvarez-Figueroa and J. Blanco-Méndez, “Transdermal delivery of methotrexate: iontophoretic delivery from hydrogels and passive delivery from microemulsions,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 215, no. 1-2, pp. 57–65, 2001.
- M. Trotta, E. Peira, F. Debernardi, and M. Gallarate, “Elastic liposomes for skin delivery of dipotassium glycyrrhizinate,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 241, no. 2, pp. 319–327, 2002.
- M. J. Alvarez-Figueroa, M. B. Delgado-Charro, and J. Blanco-Méndez, “Passive and iontophoretic transdermal penetration of methotrexate,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 212, no. 1, pp. 101–107, 2001.
- A. Sharma, V. Dhillon, S. Sharma, S. Jain, and S. Arora, “Formulation characterization and evaluation of new topical 5-Fu by drug entrapment in oleic acid vesicles,” American Journal of PharmTech Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 1–16, 2011.
- P. Loan Honeywell-Nguyen, A. M. De Graaff, H. W. Wouter Groenink, and J. A. Bouwstra, “The in vivo and in vitro interactions of elastic and rigid vesicles with human skin,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1573, no. 2, pp. 130–140, 2002.
- B. A. I. Van Den Bergh, J. Vroom, H. Gerritsen, H. E. Junginger, and J. A. Bouwstra, “Interactions of elastic and rigid vesicles with human skin in vitro: electron microscopy and two-photon excitation microscopy,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1461, no. 1, pp. 155–173, 1999.
- W. R. Hargreaves, “Liposomes from ionic, single-chain amphiphiles,” Biochemistry, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 3759–3767, 1978.
- D. P. Cistola, J. A. Hamilton, D. Jackson, and D. M. Small, “lonization and phase behavior of fatty acids in water: application of the Gibbs phase rule,” Biochemistry, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1881–1888, 1988.
- P. Walde, T. Namani, K. Morigaki, and H. Hauser, “Formation and properties of fatty acid vesicles (liposomes),” in Liposome Technology, G. Gregoriadis, Ed., pp. 1–20, Informa Healthcare, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2007.
- C. L. Apel, D. W. Deamer, and M. N. Mautner, “Self-assembled vesicles of monocarboxylic acids and alcohols: conditions for stability and for the encapsulation of biopolymers,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1559, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2002.
- M. B. Dowling, J. H. Lee, and S. R. Raghavan, “pH-responsive jello: gelatin gels containing fatty acid vesicles,” Langmuir, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 8519–8525, 2009.
- J. M. Gebicki and M. Hicks, “Ufasomes are stable particles surrounded by unsaturated fatty acid membranes,” Nature, vol. 243, no. 5404, pp. 232–234, 1973.
- P. L. Luisi, P. Walde, M. Blocher, and E. Blochliger, “Matrix effect in the size distribution of fatty acid vesicles,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, pp. 10383–10390, 1998.