- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 921824, 7 pages
Study of Rainfall from TRMM Microwave Imager Observation over India
1Research Center for Environmental Changes, Academia Sinica, Taipei 115, Taiwan
2Remote Sensing & Aerial Surveys, Mission-1B, Geological Survey of India, Govt. of India, Ministry of Mines, Bangalore, India
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 5 September 2012
Academic Editors: G. Chisham and A. Streltsov
Copyright © 2012 Anoop Kumar Mishra and Rajesh Kumar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. N. Goswami, V. Venugopal, D. Sangupta, M. S. Madhusoodanan, and P. K. Xavier, “Increasing trend of extreme rain events over India in a warming environment,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5804, pp. 1442–1445, 2006.
- A. Mishra, R. M. Gairola, A. K. Varma, and V. K. Agarwal, “Remote sensing of precipitation over Indian land and oceanic regions by synergistic use of multi-satellite sensors,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 115, Article ID D08106, 12 pages, 2010.
- A. K. Mishra, R. M. Gairola, A. K. Varma, and V. K. Agarwal, “Improved rainfall estimation over the Indian region using satellite infrared technique,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2011.
- A. Mishra, Remote Sensing of Precipitation from Satellite Infrared and Microwave Observations Over Indian Tropics, Lambert Academic Publication, Berlin, Germany, 2012.
- R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, and P. R. Keehn, “Global tropical rain estimates from microwave-adjusted geosynchronous IR data,” Remote Sensing Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1–4, pp. 125–152, 1994.
- K. F. Evans, J. Turk, T. Wong, and G. L. Stephens, “A Bayesian approach to microwave precipitation profile retrieval,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 260–278, 1995.
- C. Kummerow, Y. Hong, W. S. Olson et al., “The evolution of the Goddard profiling algorithm (GPROF) for rainfall estimation from passive microwave sensors,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1801–1820, 2001.
- A. Mugnai and E. A. Smith, “Radiative transfer to space through a precipitating cloud at multiple microwave frequencies. Part1: model description,” Journal of Applied Meteorology,, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1055–1073, 1988.
- N. Viltard, C. Burlaud, and C. D. Kummerow, “Rain retrieval from TMI brightness temperature measurements using a TRMM PR-based database,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 455–466, 2006.
- R. Wu and J. A. Weinman, “Microwave radiances from precipitating clouds containing aspherical ice, combined phase, and liquid hydrometeors,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 7170–7178, 1984.
- C. Kummerow, R. A. Mack, and I. M. Hakkarinen, “A self-consistency approach to improve microwave rainfall rate estimation from space,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 869–884, 1989.
- N. C. Grody, “Classification of snow cover and precipitation using the special sensor Microwave Imager,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 7423–7435, 1991.
- R. R. Ferraro and G. F. Marks, “The development of SSM/I rain rate retrieval algorithms using ground based radar measurements,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 12, pp. 755–770, 1995.
- W. J. Chen, M. D. Tsai, G. R. Liu, and M. H. Chang, “The study of rainfall derived from TRMM Microwave Imager data over Taiwan land—using Scattering Index method,” Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 33, pp. 277–300, 2005.
- A. Mishra, R. M. Gairola, A. K. Varma, A. Sarkar, and V. K. Agarwal, “Rainfall retrieval over Indian land and oceanic regions from SSM/I microwave data,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 815–823, 2009.
- N. C. Grody, “Precipitation monitoring over land from satellites by microwave radiometry,” in Proceedings of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS '84), ESA SP-215, pp. 417–423, Strasbourg, France, August 1984.
- R. W. Spencer, H. M. Goodman, and R. E. Hood, “Precipitation retrieval over land and ocean with the SSM/I: identification and characteristics of the scattering signal,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 254–273, 1989.
- C. Kidd and E. C. Barret, “The use of passive microwave imagery in rainfall monitoring,” Remote Sensing Reviews, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 415–450, 1990.
- R. Kumar, R. M. Gairola, A. Mishra, A. K. Varma, and I. M. L. Das, “Evaluation of precipitation features in high-frequency SSM/I measurements over Indian land and oceanic regions,” IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 373–377, 2009.
- S. Nativi, E. C. Barrett, and M. J. Beaumont, “Microwave monitoring of rainfall: intercomparisons of data from the Chilbolton radar and the DMSP-SSM/I,” Meteorological Applications, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 1997.
- M. D. Tsai, W. J. Chen, and J. L. Wang, “Implementing polarization-corrected temperature into typhoon rainfall estimates over Taiwan from TRMM/TMI data,” Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 697–712, 2010.
- T. S. Biscaro and C. A. Morales, “Continental passive microwave-based rainfall estimation algorithm: application to the Amazon Basin,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1962–1981, 2008.
- R. V. Calheiros and I. Zawadzki, “Reflectivity-rain rate relationships for radar hydrology in Brazil,” Journal of Climate & Applied Meteorology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 118–132, 1987.
- G. Liu and J. A. Curry, “An investigation of the relationship between emission and scattering signals in SSM/I data,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1628–1643, 1998.
- M. C. Todd and J. O. Bailey, “Estimates of rainfall over the United Kingdom and surrounding seas from the SSM/I using the polarization corrected temperature algorithm,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1254–1265, 1995.
- Z. Yao, W. Li, Y. Zhu, B. Zhao, and Y. Chen, “Remote sensing of precipitation on the Tibetan Plateau using the TRMM Microwave Imager,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1381–1392, 2001.
- B. Zhao, Z. Yao, W. Li et al., “Rainfall retrieval and flooding monitoring in China using TRMM Microwave Imager (TMI),” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 301–315, 2001.
- C. Mahesh, S. Prakash, V. Sathiyamoorthy, and R. M. Gairola, “Artificial neural network based microwave precipitation estimation using scattering index and polarization corrected temperatures,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 358–364, 2011.
- A. Mishra, “Estimation of heavy rainfall during cyclonic storms from microwave observations using nonlinear approach over Indian Ocean,” Natural Hazards, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 673–683, 2012.
- T. Iguchi, T. Kozu, R. Meneghini, J. Awaka, and K. I. Okamoto, “Rain-profiling algorithm for the TRMM precipitation radar,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2038–2052, 2000.