- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 937920, 9 pages
Black Wattle Tannin As Steel Corrosion Inhibitor
1Laboratório de Eletroquímica, Instituto de Química, UFRGS, Avenida Bento Gonçalves 9500, 90619-900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Departamento de Engenharia Química, Faculdade de Engenharia, PUCRS, Avenida Ipiranga 6681, 90619-900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 31 January 2012; Accepted 22 February 2012
Academic Editors: L. Bazzi, G. Bereket, A. Kalendová, and E. E. Oguzie
Copyright © 2012 Rafael Silveira Peres et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Brown and H. C. Ko, “Black wattle and its utilisation—abridged english edition,” RIRDC 97/72, Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, Barton, Australia, 1997.
- D. G. Roux, E. A. Maihs, and E. Paulus, “Condensed tannins. 9. Distribution of flavonoid compounds in the heartwoods and barks of some interrelated wattles,” The Biochemical Journal, vol. 78, pp. 834–839, 1961.
- P. J. Hernes, R. Benner, G. L. Cowie, M. A. Goi, B. A. Bergamaschi, and J. I. Hedges, “Tannin diagenesis in mangrove leaves from a tropical estuary: a novel molecular approach,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 65, no. 18, pp. 3109–3122, 2001.
- A. Pizzi, Wood Adhesives: Chemistry and Technology, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1983.
- J. Mabrour, M. Akssira, M. Azzi et al., “Effect of vegetal tannin on anodic copper dissolution in chloride solutions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1833–1847, 2004.
- S. Yahya, A. M. Shah, A. A. Rahim, N. H. A. Aziz, and R. Roslan, “Phase transformation of rust in the presence of various tannins,” Journal of Physical Science, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2008.
- J. Gust and J. Suwalski, “Use of Mossbauer spectroscopy to study reaction products of polyphenols and iron compounds,” Corrosion, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 355–365, 1994.
- M. Favre and D. Landolt, “The influence of gallic acid on the reduction of rust on painted steel surfaces,” Corrosion Science, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1481–1494, 1993.
- M. Favre, D. Landolt, K. Hoffman, and M. Stratmann, “Influence of gallic acid on the phase transformation in iron oxide layers below organic coatings studied with Moessbauer spectroscopy,” Corrosion Science, vol. 40, no. 4-5, pp. 793–803, 1998.
- J. J. C. Galvan, J. Simancas, M. Morcillo, J. M. Bastidas, E. Almeida, and S. Feliu, “Effect of treatment with tannic, gallic and phosphoric acids on the electrochemical behaviour of rusted steel,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1983–1985, 1992.
- G. Matamala, W. Smeltzer, and G. Droguett, “Use of tannin anticorrosive reaction primer to improve traditional coating systems,” Corrosion, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 270–275, 1994.
- G. Matamala, W. Smeltzer, and G. Droguett, “Comparison of steel anticorrosive protection formulated with natural tannins extracted from acacia and from pine bark,” Corrosion Science, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1351–1362, 2000.
- O. R. Pardini, J. I. Amalvy, A. R. Di Sarli, R. Romagnoli, and V. F. Vetere, “Formulation and testing of a waterborne primer containing chestnut tannin,” Journal of Coatings Technology, vol. 73, no. 913, pp. 99–106, 2001.
- M. J. Kassim, A. A. Rahim, and M. A. Ismail, “Anti-Corrosive Performance Of Wash Primer Based On Mangrove Tannin,” in Proceedings of the 15th Symposium of Malaysian Chemical Engineers (SOMChE '01), pp. 323–327, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, September 2001.
- A. A. Rahim, E. Rocca, J. Steinmetz, M. J. Kassim, R. Adnan, and M. Sani Ibrahim, “Mangrove tannins and their flavanoid monomers as alternative steel corrosion inhibitors in acidic medium,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 402–417, 2007.
- T. K. Ross and R. A. Francis, “The treatment of rusted steel with mimosa tannin,” Corrosion Science, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 351–361, 1978.
- O. Lahodny-Š and F. Kapor, “Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in the near neutral media by blends of tannin and calcium gluconate,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 264–268, 2002.
- C. A. Barrero, L. M. Ocampo, and C. E. Arroyave, “Possible improvements in the action of some rust converters,” Corrosion Science, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 1003–1018, 2001.
- S. Martinez, “Inhibitory mechanism of mimosa tannin using molecular modeling and substitutional adsorption isotherms,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 97–102, 2003.
- ASTM G59-97: Standard Test Method for Conducting Potentiodynamic Polarization Resistance Measurements, 2009.
- ASTM G102-89: Standard Practice for Calculation of Corrosion Rates and Related Information from Electrochemical Measurements, 2010.
- A. A. Rahim, E. Rocca, J. Steinmetz, and M. Jain Kassim, “Inhibitive action of mangrove tannins and phosphoric acid on pre-rusted steel via electrochemical methods,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1546–1550, 2008.
- S. Martinez and I. Štern, “Inhibitory mechanism of low-carbon steel corrosion by mimosa tannin in sulphuric acid solutions,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 973–978, 2001.
- J. Gust, “Application of infrared spectroscopy for investigation of rust phase component conversion by agents containing oak tannin and phosphoric acid,” Corrosion, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 453–457, 1991.
- J. Bandekar, R. Sethna, and M. Kirschner, “Quantitative determination of sulfur oxide species in white liquor by FT-IR,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1577–1582, 1995.
- X. Wang, Y. Du, L. Fan, H. Liu, and Y. Hu, “Chitosan- metal complexes as antimicrobial agent: synthesis, characterization and structure-activity study,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 55, no. 1-2, pp. 105–113, 2005.
- G. W. Walter, “A review of impedance plot methods used for corrosion performance analysis of painted metals,” Corrosion Science, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 681–703, 1986.