- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 939762, 5 pages
The Adverse Impact of Maternal Obesity on Intrapartum and Perinatal Outcomes
Women’s Directorate, St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 3 December 2012
Academic Editors: C. J. Petry and J. G. Schenker
Copyright © 2012 Dimuthu Vinayagam and Edwin Chandraharan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Obesity and overweight,” WHO Factsheet 311, 2011.
- Office for National Statistics (UK ONS), “General household survey,” 2002.
- Office for National Statistics, “Statistics on obesity, physical activity and diet,” ONS, London, UK, 2008.
- House of Commons Health Committee, “Obesity: third report of session 2003-2004,” 2004.
- N. J. Sebire, M. Jolly, J. P. Harris et al., “Maternal obesity and pregnancy outcome: a study of 287,213 pregnancies in London,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1175–1182, 2001.
- N. Heslehurst, L. J. Ells, H. Simpson, A. Batterham, J. Wilkinson, and C. D. Summerbell, “Trends in maternal obesity incidence rates, demographic predictors, and health inequalities in 36,821 women over a 15-year period,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 2007.
- J. Zhang, L. Bricker, S. Wray, and S. Quenby, “Poor uterine contractility in obese women,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 343–348, 2007.
- M. Verdiales, C. Pacheco, and W. R. Cohen, “The effect of maternal obesity on the course of labor,” Journal of Perinatal Medicine, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 651–655, 2009.
- E. B. Babiychuk, R. D. Smith, T. Burdyga, V. S. Babiychuk, S. Wray, and A. Draeger, “Membrane cholesterol regulates smooth muscle phasic contraction,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 95–101, 2004.
- A. T. Moynihan, M. P. Hehir, S. V. Glavey, T. J. Smith, and J. J. Morrison, “Inhibitory effect of leptin on human uterine contractility in vitro,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. 504–509, 2006.
- S. Y. Chu, S. Y. Kim, C. Lau, et al., “Maternal obesity and risk of stillbirth: a metaanalysis,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 223–228, 2007.
- M. F. Sewell, L. Huston-Presley, D. M. Super, and P. Catalano, “Increased neonatal fat mass, not lean body mass, is associated with maternal obesity,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 1100–1103, 2006.
- S. S. Crane, M. A. Wojtowycz, T. D. Dye, R. H. Aubry, and R. Artal, “Association between pre-pregnancy obesity and the risk of cesarean delivery,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 213–216, 1997.
- A. Vahratian, J. Zhang, J. F. Troendle, D. A. Savitz, and A. M. Siega-Riz, “Maternal prepregnancy overweight and obesity and the pattern of labor progression in term nulliparous women,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 104, no. 5 I, pp. 943–951, 2004.
- C. M. Lynch, D. J. Sexton, M. Hession, and J. J. Morrison, “Obesity and mode of delivery in primigravid and multigravid women,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 163–167, 2008.
- S. Arrowsmith, S. Wray, and S. Quenby, “Maternal obesity and labour complications following induction of labour in prolonged pregnancy,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 578–588, 2011.
- T. S. Usha Kiran, S. Hemmadi, J. Bethel, and J. Evans, “Outcome of pregnancy in a woman with an increased body mass index,” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 768–772, 2005.
- Hospital Episode Statistics, NHS Information Centre, “Table 30: median birth weight (grams) of live born singleton and multiple deliveries by gestation,” 2006.
- T. Henriksen, “The macrosomic fetus: a challenge in current obstetrics,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 134–145, 2008.