- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 940896, 9 pages
Towards the Improvement of Fruit-Quality Parameters in Citrus under Deficit Irrigation Strategies
IFAPA Centro Las Torres-Tomejil, Carretera Sevilla-Cazalla Km 12'2, Alcalá del Río, 41200 Sevilla, Spain
Received 8 April 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editors: J. B. Alvarez, L. Marton, and Z. Yanqun
Copyright © 2012 A. Aguado et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. García-Tejero, Deficit irrigation for sustainable citrus cultivation in Guadalquivir river basin [Ph.D. thesis], Universidad de Sevilla, 2010.
- MAPA, “Plan Nacional de Regadíos,” Horizonte 2008. MAPA. Gobierno de España, 2008.
- A. Southwick and T. L. Davenport, “Characterization of water stress and low temperature effects on flower induction in citrus,” Plant Physiology, vol. 81, pp. 26–29, 1986.
- C. Ginestar and J. R. Castel, “Responses of young clementine citrus trees to water stress during different phenological periods,” Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 551–559, 1996.
- P. González-Altozano and J. R. Castel, “Effects of regulated deficit irrigation on “Clementina de Nules” citrus trees. I. Yield and fruit quality effect,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 706–713, 1999.
- P. González-Altozano and J. R. Castel, “Effects of regulated deficit irrigation on “Clementina de Nules” citrus trees. II. Vegetative growth,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 388–392, 2000.
- J. L. Muriel, J. A. Jiménez, I. García-Tejero, and I. Vaquero, “Relaciones hídricas en una plantación de naranjos (Citrus Sinensis, L. Cv Navelino) bajo estrategias de riego deficitario mantenido,” in VIII Simposium Hispano Portugués de Relaciones Hídricas en las Plantas, D. Morales-Méndez and M. S. Jiménez-Parrondo, Eds., pp. 139–142, Tenerife, Spain, 2006.
- I. García-Tejero, J. A. Jiménez, J. L. Muriel, and G. Martínez, “Planificación y desarrollo de estrategias de riego deficitario en una plantación de naranjos: influencia de la variabilidad espacial de las propiedades del suelo,” in Book of Abstracts, Congreso Nacional de Riegos, Pamplona, Spain, 2007.
- I. García-Tejero, J. A. Jiménez, M. C. Reyes, A. Carmona, R. Pérez, and J. L. Muriel, “Aplicación de caudales limitados de agua en plantaciones de cítricos del valle del Guadalquivir,” Fruticultura Profesional, vol. 173, pp. 5–17, 2008.
- J. Doorenbos and A. Kassam, “Yield response to water,” FAO Irrigation and drainage. Paper no. 33. FAO Rome, Italy, 1979.
- J. Shalhevelt and H. Bielorai, “Crop water requirements in relation to climate and soil,” Soil Science, vol. 125, pp. 240–247, 1978.
- I. García-Tejero, V. H. Durán-Zuazo, J. Arriaga, and J. L. Muriel-Fernández, “Impact of deficit irrigation on citrus yield,” Agronomy for Sustainable Development, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 651–659, 2012.
- I. García Tejero, V. H. Durán, J. A. Jiménez, and J. L. Muriel, “Improved water-use efficiency by deficit-irrigation programmes: implications for saving water in citrus orchards,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 128, no. 3, pp. 274–282, 2011.
- J. M. Navarro, J. G. Pérez-Pérez, P. Romero, and P. Botía, “Analysis of the changes in quality in mandarin fruit, produced by deficit irrigation treatments,” Food Chemistry, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 1591–1596, 2010.
- I. García-Tejero, R. Romero, J. A. Jiménez, G. Martínez, V. H. Durán, and J. L. Muriel, “Response of citrus trees to deficit irrigation during different phenological periods in relation to yield, fruit quality, and water productivity,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 614–622, 2010.
- P. L. Harding, J. R. Winston, and D. F. Fisher, Seasonal Changes in Florida Grapefruit, vol. 886, USDA Technical Bulletin, Washington, DC, USA, 1940.
- G. H. Barry, W. S. Castle, and F. Davies, “Rootstocks and plant water relations affect sugar accumulation of citrus fruit via osmotic adjustment,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 881–889, 2004.
- H. Yakushiji, H. Nonami, T. Fukuyama, S. Ono, N. Takagi, and Y. Hashimoto, “Sugar accumulation enhanced by osmoregulation in Satsuma mandarin fruit,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 466–472, 1996.
- A. Buendía, A. Allende, E. Nicolás, J. J. Alarcón, and M. I. Gil, “Effect of regulated deficit irrigation and crop load on the antioxidant compounds of peaches,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 3601–3608, 2008.
- J. G. Pérez-Pérez, J. M. Robles, and P. Botía, “Influence of deficit irrigation in phase III of fruit growth on fruit quality in ‘lane late’ sweet orange,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 969–974, 2009.
- FAO, World Reference Base for Soil Resources, Rome, Italy, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 1998.
- R. G. Allen, L. S. Pereira, D. Raes, and M. Smith, “Crop evapotranspiration (Guidelines for computing crop water requirements),” FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper no. 56, FAO, Rome, Italy, 1998.
- J. Doorenbos and W. O. Pruitt, “Crop water requirements,” FAO Irrigation and Drainage paper no. 24, FAO Rome, Italy, 1977.
- J. E. Velez, D. S. Intrigliolo, and J. R. Castel, “Scheduling deficit irrigation of citrus trees with maximum daily trunk shrinkage,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 197–204, 2007.
- J. R. Castel and A. Buj, “Response of salustiana oranges to high frequency deficit irrigation,” Irrigation Science, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 1990.
- M. H. Ali and M. S. U. Talukder, “Increasing water productivity in crop production—a synthesis,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 95, no. 11, pp. 1201–1213, 2008.
- M. H. Ali, M. R. Hoque, A. A. Hassan, and M. A. Khair, “Effects of deficit irrigation on yield, water productivity, and economic returns of wheat,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 151–161, 2007.
- S. K. Jalota, A. Sood, G. B. S. Chahal, and B. U. Choudhury, “Crop water productivity of cotton-wheat system as influenced by deficit irrigation, soil texture and precipitation,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 84, no. 1-2, pp. 137–146, 2006.
- I. J. Lorite, L. Mateos, and E. Fereres, “Evaluating irrigation performance in a Mediterranean environment: I. Model and general assessment of an irrigation scheme,” Irrigation Science, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 2004.
- M. García-Vila, I. J. Lorite, M. A. Soriano, and E. Fereres, “Management trends and responses to water scarcity in an irrigation scheme of Southern Spain,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 458–468, 2008.
- C. Ballester, J. Castel, D. S. Intrigliolo, and J. R. Castel, “Response of clementina de nules citrus trees to summer deficit irrigation. Yield components and fruit composition,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1027–1032, 2011.
- P. González-Altozano and J. R. Castel, “Riego deficitario controlado en ‘Clementina de Nules’. I. Efectos sobre la producción y la calidad de la fruta,” Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 1, pp. 81–92, 2003.
- H. Bielorai, “The effect of partial wetting of the root zone on yield and water use efficiency in a drip-and sprinkler-irrigated mature grapefruit grove,” Irrigation Science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 89–100, 1982.
- I. García-Tejero, J. A. Jiménez, G. Martínez, R. Romero, V. H. Durán, and J. L. Muriel, “Positive impact of regulated deficit irrigation on yield and fruit quality in a commercial citrus orchard (Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck, cv. Salustiano),” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 689–699, 2010.
- B. R. Hockema and E. Etxeberria, “Metabolic contributors to drought-enhanced accumulation of sugars and acids in oranges,” Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, vol. 126, no. 5, pp. 599–605, 2001.
- J. S. Verreynne, F. Rabe, and K. I. Theron, “The effect of combined deficit irrigation and summer trunk girdling on the internal fruit quality of ‘Marisol’ Clementines,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 91, no. 1-2, pp. 25–37, 2001.
- M. T. Treeby, R. E. Henriod, K. B. Bevington, D. J. Milne, and R. Storey, “Irrigation management and rootstock effects on navel orange [Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck] fruit quality,” Agricultural Water Management, vol. 91, no. 1–3, pp. 24–32, 2007.
- P. Romero, J. M. Navarro, P. J. G. Pérez et al., “Deficit irrigation and rootstock: their effects on water relations, vegetative development, yield, fruit quality and mineral nutrition of Clemenules mandarin,” Tree Physiology, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1537–1548, 2006.
- M. J. Rodrigo, J. F. Marcos, and L. Zacarías, “Biochemical and molecular analysis of carotenoid biosynthesis in flavedo of orange (Citrus sinensis L.) during fruit development and maturation,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 22, pp. 6724–6731, 2004.