- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 950173, 13 pages
Development of an Inventory of Coastal Wetlands for Eastern Georgian Bay, Lake Huron
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
Received 5 December 2011; Accepted 11 January 2012
Academic Editors: T. Muotka and S. Sabater
Copyright © 2012 Jonathan Midwood et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Keddy, L. H. Fraser, A. I. Solomeshch et al., “Wet and wonderful: the world's largest wetlands are conservation priorities,” BioScience, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 39–51, 2009.
- J. Li and W. Chen, “A rule-based method for mapping Canada's wetlands using optical, radar and DEM data,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 26, no. 22, pp. 5051–5069, 2005.
- K. Jones, Y. Lanthier, P. van der Voet, E. van Valkengoed, D. Taylor, and D. Fernández-Prieto, “Monitoring and assessment of wetlands using Earth Observation: the GlobWetland project,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 2154–2169, 2009.
- C. E. Herdendorf, “Morphometric factors in the formation of Great Lakes coastal wetlands,” Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 179–197, 2004.
- P. Chow-Fraser and D. Albert, “Identification of eco-reaches of Great Lakes Coastal Wetlands that have high biodiversity values,” Discussion Paper for SOLEC '98, Environment Canada-USEPA Publication, 1999.
- A. Wei, P. Chow-Fraser, and D. Albert, “Influence of shoreline features on fish distribution in the Laurentian Great Lakes,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 1113–1123, 2004.
- L. A. Smith and P. Chow-Fraser, “Implications of the species-area relationship on sampling effort for marsh birds in southern ontario,” Wetlands, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 553–563, 2010.
- E. A. Snell, “Wetland distribution and conversion in southern ontario: Canada Land Use Monitoring Program,” Working Paper no. 48, Inland Waters and Lands Directorate, Environment Canada, 1987.
- M. Cvetkovic and P. Chow-Fraser, “Use of ecological indicators to assess the quality of Great Lakes coastal wetlands,” Ecological Indicators, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 1609–1622, 2011.
- J. Ingram, K. Holmes, G. Grabas et al., “Development of a coastal wetland database for the Great Lakes Canadian Shoreline,” Final Report, The Great Lakes Commission, 2004.
- Environment Canada and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, The Ontario Great Lakes Coastal Wetland Atlas: A Summary of Information (1983–1997), 2003.
- OMNR, Ontario Wetland Evaluation System. Northern Manual, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), No.50254, 1993.
- P. Chow-Fraser, “Development of the wetland water quality index for assessing the quality of Great Lakes coastal wetlands,” in Coastal Wetlands of the Laurentian Great Lakes: Health, Habitat, and Indicators, T. P. Simon and P. M. Stewart, Eds., pp. 137–166, Indiana Biological Survey, Bloomington, Ind, USA, 2006.
- M. V. Croft and P. Chow-Fraser, “Use and development of the wetland macrophyte index to detect water quality impairment in fish habitat of Great Lakes coastal marshes,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 172–197, 2007.
- T. S. Seilheimer and P. Chow-Fraser, “Application of the wetland fish index to Northern Great Lakes marshes with emphasis on Georgian Bay coastal wetlands,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 154–171, 2007.
- R. DeCatanzaro, M. Cvetkovic, and P. Chow-Fraser, “The relative importance of road density and physical watershed features in determining coastal marsh water quality in georgian bay,” Environmental Management, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 456–467, 2009.
- M. V. Croft and P. Chow-Fraser, “Non-random sampling and its role in habitat conservation: a comparison of three Wetland macrophyte sampling protocols,” Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 2283–2306, 2009.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), “Biocriteria—aquatic life use support,” 2007, http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/biocriteria/alus/ref2.html.
- L. D. Mortsch and F. H. Quinn, “Climate change scenarios for Great Lakes Basin ecosystem studies,” Limnology and Oceanography, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 903–911, 1996.
- C. E. Sellinger, C. A. Stow, E. C. Lamon, and S. S. Qian, “Recent water level declines in the Lake Michigan-Huron system,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 367–373, 2008.
- P. A. Keddy and A. A. Reznicek, “Great Lakes vegetation dynamics: the role of fluctuating water levels and buried seeds,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 25–36, 1986.
- C. Quinlan and G. Mulamoottil, “The effects of water level fluctuations on three Lake Ontario shoreline marshes,” Canadian Water Resource Journal, vol. 12, pp. 64–77, 1987.
- D. J. Jude and J. Pappas, “Fish utilization of Great Lakes coastal wetlands,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 651–672, 1992.
- R. G. Randall, C. K. Minns, V. W. Cairns, and J. E. Moore, “The relationship between an index of fish production and submerged macrophytes and other habitat features at three littoral areas in the Great Lakes,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 53, supplement 1, pp. 35–44, 1996.
- L. Wang, W. P. Sousa, P. Gong, and G. S. Biging, “Comparison of IKONOS and QuickBird images for mapping mangrove species on the Caribbean coast of Panama,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 91, no. 3-4, pp. 432–440, 2004.
- M. A. Hardisky, M. F. Gross, and V. Klemas, “Remote sensing of coastal wetlands,” BioScience, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 453–460, 1986.
- L. Maynard and D. Wilcox, “Coastal wetlands of the Great Lakes,” in State of the Lakes Ecosystem Conference 1996, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1997.
- OMNR, “Ontario base map (Wetland polygons, eastern and northern Georgian Bay coast) [computer file],” Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, 2000, http://www.geographynetwork.ca/website/obm/viewer.htm.
- GLCWC, “Coastal Wetland inventory (Polygon data) [electronic file],” Great Lakes Coastal Wetland Consortium, 2004, http://www.glc.org/wetlands/inventory.html.
- D. A. Wilcox and J. E. Meeker, “Disturbance effects on aquatic vegetation in regulated and unregulated lakes in northern Minnesota,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 1542–1551, 1991.
- C. Hudon, “Shift in wetland plant composition and biomass following low-level episodes in the St. Lawrence River: looking into the future,” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 603–617, 2004.
- R. DeCatanzaro and P. Chow-Fraser, “Relationship of road density and marsh condition to turtle assemblage characteristics in the Laurentian Great Lakes,” Journal of Great Lakes Research, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 357–365, 2010.
- R. DeCatanzaro, Factors influencing coastal marsh water quality in Georgian Bay, Ontario, M.S. thesis, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada, 2010.
- A. Wei and P. Chow-Fraser, “Use of IKONOS imagery to map coastal wetlands of georgian bay,” Fisheries, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 167–173, 2007.
- J. D. Midwood and P. Chow-Fraser, “Mapping floating and emergent aquatic vegetation in Coastal Wetlands of Eastern Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, Canada,” Wetlands, vol. 30, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- D. Rokitnicki-Wojcik, A. Wei, and P. Chow-Fraser, “Transferability of object-based rule sets for mapping coastal high marsh habitat among different regions in Georgian Bay, Canada,” Wetlands Ecology and Management, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 223–236, 2011.