- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 108363, 7 pages
Study of Mushy-Zone Development in Dendritic Microstructures with Glass-Forming Eutectic Matrices Using Electrostatic Levitation
1Keck Laboratory of Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1200 East California Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
2Engineering and Science Directorate, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109, USA
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 19 May 2013
Academic Editors: L. Chang, Y. Sun, R. A. Varin, and H. Yoshihara
Copyright © 2013 Henry Kozachkov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. C. Hofmann, J. Suh, A. Wiest et al., “Designing metallic glass matrix composites with high toughness and tensile ductility,” Nature, vol. 451, no. 7182, pp. 1085–1089, 2008.
- D. C. Hofmann, J. Suh, A. Wiest, M. Lind, M. D. Demetriou, and W. L. Johnson, “Development of tough, low-density titanium-based bulk metallic glass matrix composites with tensile ductility,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 105, no. 51, pp. 20136–20140, 2008.
- J. P. Schramm, D. C. Hofmann, M. D. Demetriou, and W. L. Johnson, “Metallic-glass-matrix composite structures with benchmark mechanical performance,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, Article ID 241910, 2010.
- D. C. Hofmann, J. Suh, A. Wiest, and W. Johnson, “New processing possibilities for highly toughened metallic glass matrix composites with tensile ductility,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 684–687, 2008.
- D. C. Hofmann, H. Kozachkov, H. E. Khalifa et al., “Semi-solid induction forging of metallic glass matrix composites,” JOM, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 11–17, 2009.
- M. E. Launey, D. C. Hofmann, J.-Y. Suh, H. Kozachkov, W. L. Johnson, and R. O. Ritchie, “Fracture toughness and crack-resistance curve behavior in metallic glass-matrix composites,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, no. 24, Article ID 241910, 2009.
- P. Lowhaphandu and J. J. Lewandowski, “Fracture toughness and notched toughness of bulk amorphous alloy: Zr-Ti-Ni-Cu-Be,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1811–1817, 1998.
- K. M. Flores and R. H. Dauskardt, “Enhanced toughness due to stable crack tip damage zones in bulk metallic glass,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 41, pp. 937–943, 1999.
- C. J. Gilbert, V. Schroeder, and R. O. Ritchie, “Mechanisms for fracture and fatigue-crack propagation in a bulk metallic glass,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1739–1753, 1999.
- G. R. Garrett, M. D. Demetriou, J. Chen, and W. L. Johnson, “Effect of microalloying on the toughness of metallic glasses,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 101, Article ID 241913, 2012.
- J. W. Qiao, S. Wang, Y. Zhang, P. K. Liaw, and G. L. Chen, “Large plasticity and tensile necking of Zr-based bulk-metallic-glass-matrix composites synthesized by the Bridgman solidification,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 94, Article ID 151905, 2009.
- J. M. Park, J. Jayaraj, D. H. Kim, N. Mattern, G. Wang, and J. Eckert, “Tailoring of in situ Ti-based bulk glassy matrix composites with high mechanical performance,” Intermetallics, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1908–1911, 2010.
- M. L. Lee, Y. Li, and C. A. Schuh, “Effect of a controlled volume fraction of dendritic phases on tensile and compressive ductility in La-based metallic glass matrix composites,” Acta Materialia, vol. 52, no. 14, pp. 4121–4131, 2004.
- C. C. Hays, C. P. Kim, and W. L. Johnson, “Microstructure controlled shear band pattern formation and enhanced plasticity of bulk metallic glasses containing in situ formed ductile phase dendrite dispersions,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 84, p. 2901, 2000.
- J. Eckert, J. Das, S. Pauly, and C. Duhamel, “Mechanical properties of bulk metallic glasses and composites,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 285–301, 2007.
- S. Y. Lee, C. P. Kim, J. D. Almer, U. Lienert, E. Ustundag, and W. L. Johnson, “Pseudo-binary phase diagram for Zr-based in situ β phase composites,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 538–543, 2007.
- J. Schroers, S. Bossuyt, W. Rhim, J. Li, Z. Zhou, and W. L. Johnson, “Enhanced temperature uniformity by tetrahedral laser heating,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 4523–4527, 2004.
- S. Mukherjee, J. Schroers, Z. Zhou, W. L. Johnson, and W.-. Rhim, “Viscosity and specific volume of bulk metallic glass-forming alloys and their correlation with glass forming ability,” Acta Materialia, vol. 52, no. 12, pp. 3689–3695, 2004.
- Y. J. Kim, R. Busch, W. L. Johnson, A. J. Rulison, and W. K. Rhim, “Metallic glass formation in highly undercooled Zr41.2Ti13.8Cu12.5Ni10.0Be22.5 during containerless electrostatic levitation processing,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 65, no. 17, pp. 2136–2138, 1994.
- S. Mukherjee, W. L. Johnson, and W. K. Rhim, “Noncontact measurement of high-temperature surface tension and viscosity of bulk metallic glass-forming alloys using the drop oscillation technique,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 1, Article ID 014104, 2005.
- S. Mukherjee, H.-G. Kang, W. L. Johnson, and W.-K. Rhim, “Noncontact measurement of crystallization behavior, specific volume, and viscosity of bulk glass-forming Zr-Al-Co-(Cu) alloys,” Physical Review B, vol. 70, no. 17, Article ID 174205, pp. 1–6, 2004.
- J. Kittler and J. Illingworth, “Minimum error thresholding,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 1986.
- W. K. Rhim, K. Ohsaka, and P. F. Paradis, “Noncontact technique for measuring surface tension and viscosity of molten materials using high temperature electrostatic levitation,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 70, p. 2796, 1999.
- P. W. Voorhees, “The theory of Ostwald ripening,” Journal of Statistical Physics, vol. 38, no. 1-2, pp. 231–252, 1985.
- I. Egry, G. Lohöfer, E. Gorges, and G. Jacobs, “Structure and properties of undercooled liquid metals,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 8, no. 47, pp. 9363–9368, 1996.