- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 135978, 4 pages
Postthyroidectomy Throat Pain and Swallowing: Do Proton Pump Inhibitors Make a Difference?
1Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1A1
2Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Received 25 July 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editors: S. L. Halum and V. Sciarretta
Copyright © 2013 Faisal Zawawi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. Kalmovich, V. Cote, N. Sands, M. Black, R. Payne, and M. Hier, “Thyroidectomy: exactly how painful is it?” Journal of Otolaryngology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 277–283, 2010.
- C. P. Lombardi, M. Raffaelli, C. De Crea et al., “Long-term outcome of functional post-thyroidectomy voice and swallowing symptoms,” Surgery, vol. 146, no. 6, pp. 1174–1181, 2009.
- C. P. Lombardi, M. Raffaelli, L. D'Alatri et al., “Video-assisted thyroidectomy significantly reduces the risk of early postthyroidectomy voice and swallowing symptoms,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 693–700, 2008.
- J. A. Koufman, J. E. Aviv, R. R. Casiano, and G. Y. Shaw, “Laryngopharyngeal reflux: position statement of the committee on speech, voice, and swallowing disorders of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery,” Otolaryngology, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 32–35, 2002.
- O. Reichel, H. Dressel, K. Wiederänders, and W. J. Issing, “Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with esomeprazole for symptoms and signs associated with laryngopharyngeal reflux,” Otolaryngology, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 414–420, 2008.
- J. A. Pereira, M. Girvent, J. J. Sancho, C. Parada, and A. Sitges-Serra, “Prevalence of long-term upper aero-digestive symptoms after uncomplicated bilateral thyroidectomy,” Surgery, vol. 133, no. 3, pp. 318–322, 2003.
- D. L. Sinagra, M. R. Montesinos, V. A. Tacchi et al., “Voice changes after thyroidectomy without recurrent laryngeal nerve injury,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 199, no. 4, pp. 556–560, 2004.
- N. P. McIvor, D. J. Flint, J. Gillibrand, and R. P. Morton, “Thyroid surgery and voice-related outcomes,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 179–183, 2000.
- R. J. Payne, K. M. Kost, S. Frenkiel et al., “Laryngeal inflammation assessed using the reflux finding score in obstructive sleep apnea,” Otolaryngology, vol. 134, no. 5, pp. 836–842, 2006.
- C. P. Lombardi, M. Raffaelli, L. D'Alatri et al., “Voice and swallowing changes after thyroidectomy in patients without inferior laryngeal nerve injuries,” Surgery, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1026–1034, 2006.
- E. Fiorentino, C. Cipolla, G. Graceffa et al., “Local neck symptoms before and after thyroidectomy: a possible correlation with reflux laryngopharyngitis,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 268, no. 5, pp. 715–720, 2011.
- J. L. Dekens, W. J. Mastboom, G. Bultstra, E. Oostveen, and J. J. Rasker, “Coughing reflex induced by electrostimulation of the trachea: a pilot study,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9156, p. 902, 1999.