- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 142493, 9 pages
Corrosion Protection of AA7075 Aluminium Alloy by Trimethoxy-Silanes Self-Assembled Monolayers
1Materials Metrology Division (Dimat), National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (Inmetro), 25250-020 Duque de Caxias, RJ, Brazil
2Department of Chemistry, Federal University of São Carlos (UFSCar), 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
3Laboratory of Interfacial Electrochemistry, Department of Physical Chemistry, Institute of Chemistry of São Carlos (IQSC), University of São Paulo (USP), 13560-970 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Received 31 January 2013; Accepted 28 February 2013
Academic Editors: A. I. Bhatt, A. C. Chialvo, A. Guerrieri, and A. A. Moya
Copyright © 2013 Rodrigo S. Neves et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. R. Davis, Ed., Corrosion of Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys, ASM International, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- C. Vargel, M. Jacques, and M. P. Schmidt, Corrosion of Aluminium, Elsevier, London, UK, 2004.
- G. Bierwagen, “Next generation of aircraft coatings systems,” Journal of Coatings Technology, vol. 73, no. 915, pp. 45–52, 2001.
- R. Rabicot, R. Brown, and S. C. Yang, “Corrosion protection of aluminum alloys by double-strand polyaniline,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 85, no. 1–3, p. 1263, 1997.
- F. Andreatta, H. Terryn, and J. H. W. de Wit, “Corrosion behaviour of different tempers of AA7075 aluminium alloy,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 49, no. 17-18, pp. 2851–2862, 2004.
- Q. Meng and G. S. Frankel, “Characterization of chromate conversion coating on AA7075-T6 aluminum alloy,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 30–42, 2004.
- K. Jones and D. W. Hoeppner, “Pit-to-crack transition in pre-corroded 7075-T6 aluminum alloy under cyclic loading,” Corrosion Science, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 2185–2198, 2005.
- Z. Zhao and G. S. Frankel, “On the first breakdown in AA7075-T6,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 3064–3088, 2007.
- Z. Zhao and G. S. Frankel, “The effect of temper on the first breakdown in AA7075,” Corrosion Science, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 3089–3111, 2007.
- K. H. Na and S. I. Pyun, “Comparison of susceptibility to pitting corrosion of AA2024-T4, AA7075-T651 and AA7475-T761 aluminium alloys in neutral chloride solutions using electrochemical noise analysis,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 248–258, 2008.
- C. M. Liao and R. P. Wei, “Galvanic coupling of model alloys to aluminum—a foundation for understanding particle-induced pitting in aluminum alloys,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 881–888, 1999.
- R. J. Jouet, A. D. Warren, D. M. Rosenberg, V. J. Bellitto, K. Park, and M. R. Zachariah, “Surface passivation of bare aluminum nanoparticles using perfluoroalkyl carboxylic acids,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2987–2996, 2005.
- P. E. Hintze and L. M. Calle, “Electrochemical properties and corrosion protection of organosilane self-assembled monolayers on aluminum 2024-T3,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 8-9, pp. 1761–1766, 2006.
- F. M. Reis, H. G. de Melo, and I. Costa, “EIS investigation on Al 5052 alloy surface preparation for self-assembling monolayer,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 8-9, pp. 1780–1788, 2006.
- V. Palanivel, Y. Huang, and W. J. van Ooij, “Effects of addition of corrosion inhibitors to silane films on the performance of AA2024-T3 in a 0.5 M NaCl solution,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 153–168, 2005.
- A. Ulman, “Formation and structure of self-assembled monolayers,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 1533–1554, 1996.
- F. Schreiber, “Structure and growth of self-assembling monolayers,” Progress in Surface Science, vol. 65, no. 5–8, pp. 151–256, 2000.
- R. K. Smith, P. A. Lewis, and P. S. Weiss, “Patterning self-assembled monolayers,” Progress in Surface Science, vol. 75, no. 1-2, 2004.
- J. G. van Alsten, “Self-assembled monolayers on engineering metals: structure, derivatization, and utility,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 22, pp. 7605–7614, 1999.
- Y. Yamamoto, H. Nishihara, and K. Aramaki, “Self-assembled layers of alkanethiols on copper for protection against corrosion,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 436–443, 1993.
- G. K. Jennings and P. E. Laibinis, “Self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiols on copper provide corrosion resistance in aqueous environments,” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, vol. 116, no. 1-2, pp. 105–114, 1996.
- G. K. Jennings, J. C. Munro, T. H. Yong, and P. E. Laibinis, “Effect of chain length on the protection of copper by n-alkanethiols,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 21, pp. 6130–6139, 1998.
- G. K. Jennings, J. C. Munro, and P. E. Laibinis, “Effects of film crystallinity on the protective properties of self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiols on copper,” Advanced Materials, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1000–1003, 1999.
- E. Hoque, J. A. DeRose, R. Houriet, P. Hoffmann, and H. J. Mathieu, “Stable perfluorosilane self-assembled monolayers on copper oxide surfaces: evidence of siloxy-copper bond formation,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 798–804, 2007.
- F. Sinapi, I. Lejeune, J. Delhalle, and Z. Mekhalif, “Comparative protective abilities of organothiols SAM coatings applied to copper dissolution in aqueous environments,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 16, pp. 5182–5190, 2007.
- F. Sinapi, S. Julien, D. Auguste, L. Hevesi, J. Delhalle, and Z. Mekhalif, “Monolayers and mixed-layers on copper towards corrosion protection,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 4228–4238, 2008.
- F. Deflorian, S. Rossi, and L. Fedrizzi, “Silane pre-treatments on copper and aluminium,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 27, pp. 6097–6103, 2006.
- K. Nozawa, H. Nishihara, and K. Aramaki, “Chemical modification of alkanethiol monolayers for protecting iron against corrosion,” Corrosion Science, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1625–1639, 1997.
- K. Nozawa and K. Aramaki, “One- and two-dimensional polymer films of modified alkanethiol monolayers for preventing iron from corrosion,” Corrosion Science, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 57–73, 1999.
- K. Aramaki and T. Shimura, “Complete protection of a passive film on iron from breakdown in a borate buffer containing 0.1 M of Cl- by coverage with an ultrathin film of two-dimensional polymer,” Corrosion Science, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 209–225, 2006.
- I. L. Liakos, R. C. Newman, E. McAlpine, and M. R. Alexander, “Study of the resistance of SAMs on aluminium to acidic and basic solutions using dynamic contact angle measurement,” Langmuir, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 995–999, 2007.
- J. B. Bajat, I. Milosev, Z. Jovanovic, R. M. Jancic-Heinemann, M. Dimitrijevic, and V. B. Miskovic-Stankovic, “Corrosion protection of aluminium pretreated by vinyltriethoxysilane in sodium chloride solution,” Corrosion Science, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 1060–1069, 2010.
- L. M. Palomino, P. H. Suegama, I. V. Aoki, M. Fatima Montemor, and H. G. de Melo, “Electrochemical study of modified non-functional bis-silane layers on Al alloy 2024-T3,” Corrosion Science, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1258–1266, 2008.
- A. Frignani, F. Zucchi, G. Trabanelli, and V. Grassi, “Protective action towards aluminium corrosion by silanes with a long aliphatic chain,” Corrosion Science, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 2258–2273, 2006.
- I. de Graeve, J. Vereecken, A. Franquet, T. van Schaftinghen, and H. Terryn, “Silane coating of metal substrates: complementary use of electrochemical, optical and thermal analysis for the evaluation of film properties,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 224–229, 2007.
- F. P. Zamborini and R. M. Crooks, “Corrosion passivation of gold by n-alkanethiol self-assembled monolayers: effect of chain length and end group,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3279–3286, 1998.
- I. Maege, E. Jaehne, A. Henke et al., “Self-assembling adhesion promoters for corrosion resistant metal polymer interfaces,” Progress in Organic Coatings, vol. 34, no. 1–4, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- L. Cecchetto, A. Denoyelle, D. Delabouglise, and J. P. Petit, “A silane pre-treatment for improving corrosion resistance performances of emeraldine base-coated aluminium samples in neutral environment,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 254, no. 6, pp. 1736–1743, 2008.
- Z. F. Li and E. Ruckenstein, “Strong adhesion and smooth conductive surface via graft polymerization of aniline on a modified glass fiber surface,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 343–349, 2002.
- D. P. B. Silva, R. S. Neves, and A. J. Motheo, “Corrosion protection of aluminum alloys by methoxy-silanes(SAM)/polyaniline double films,” ECS Transactions, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2012.
- D. P. B. Silva, R. S. Neves, and A. J. Motheo, “Electrochemical behaviour of the AA2024 aluminium alloy modified with self-assembled monolayers/polyaniline double films,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 521, pp. 179–186, 2010.
- E. Ruckenstein and Z. F. Li, “Surface modification and functionalization through the self-assembled monolayer and graft polymerization,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 43–63, 2005.
- Z. F. Li and E. Ruckenstein, “Conductive surface via graft polymerization of aniline on a modified glass surface,” Synthetic Metals, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2002.
- L. Thomsen, B. Watts, D. V. Cotton, J. S. Quinton, and P. C. Dastoor, “Adsorption and orientation kinetics of self-assembled films of octadecyltrimethoxysilane on aluminium oxide surfaces,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 472–477, 2005.
- C. P. Tripp and M. L. Hair, “Direct observation of the surface bonds between self-assembled monolayers of octadecyltrichlorosilane and silica surfaces: a low-frequency IR study at the solid/liquid interface,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1215–1219, 1995.
- C. P. Tripp and M. L. Hair, “Reaction of methylsilanols with hydrated silica surfaces: the hydrolysis of trichloro-, dichloro-, and monochloromethylsilanes and the effects of curing,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 149–155, 1995.
- D. Devaprakasam, S. Sampath, and S. K. Biswas, “Thermal stability of perfluoroalkyl silane self-assembled on a polycrystalline aluminum surface,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1329–1334, 2004.
- J. Quinton, L. Thomsen, and P. Dastoor, “Adsorption of organosilanes on iron and aluminium oxide surfaces,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 931–936, 1997.
- J. Quinton, P. Dastoor, and W. Allison, “PTMS on iron and aluminium oxide surfaces: a study of damped adsorption kinetics,” Surface Science, vol. 402–404, pp. 66–70, 1998.
- J. S. Quinton and P. C. Dastoor, “Effect of experimental conditions on the oscillatory adsorption of propyltrimethoxysilane on aluminum oxide surfaces,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 1999.
- J. S. Quinton and P. C. Dastoor, “Influence of surface electrokinetics on organosilane adsorption,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 12–15, 1999.
- J. S. Quinton and P. C. Dastoor, “Conformational dynamics of γ-APS on the iron oxide surface: an adsorption kinetic study using XPS and ToF-SIMS,” Surface and Interface Analysis, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 21–24, 2000.
- B. Watts, L. Thomsen, J. R. Fabien, and P. C. Dastoor, “Understanding the conformational dynamics of organosilanes: γ-APS on zinc oxide surfaces,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 148–154, 2002.
- B. A. Boukamp, EQUIVCRT, Computer Software for Analysis of Impedance Data, Techinical University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands, 1989.
- G. W. Walter, “A review of impedance plot methods used for corrosion performance analysis of painted metals,” Corrosion Science, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 681–703, 1986.
- K. Jüttner, “Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) of corrosion processes on inhomogeneous surfaces,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1501–1508, 1990.
- T. Tüken, B. Yazici, and M. Erbil, “The corrosion behaviour of polypyrrole coating synthesized in phenylphosphonic acid solution,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 252, no. 6, pp. 2311–2318, 2006.
- R. de Levie, “On porous electrodes in electrolyte solutions-IV,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1231–1245, 1964.
- G. J. Brug, A. L. G. van den Eeden, M. Sluyters-Rehbach, and J. H. Sluyters, “The analysis of electrode impedances complicated by the presence of a constant phase element,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 176, no. 1-2, pp. 275–295, 1984.
- J. Bisquert, G. Garcia-Belmonte, F. Fabregat-Santiago, and A. Compte, “Anomalous transport effects in the impedance of porous film electrodes,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 429–435, 1999.
- E. de Robertis, R. S. Neves, L. M. Abrantes, and A. J. Motheo, “Pd-P electroless deposition on carbon steel: an electrochemical impedance spectroscopy study,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 581, no. 1, pp. 86–92, 2005.
- G. R. P. Malpass, R. S. Neves, and A. J. Motheo, “A comparative study of commercial and laboratory-made Ti/Ru0.3Ti0.7O2 DSA electrodes: "In situ" and "ex situ" surface characterisation and organic oxidation activity,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 936–944, 2006.
- A. J. Motheo, A. Sadkowski, and R. S. Neves, “Electrochemical immittance spectroscopy applied to the study of the single crystal gold/aqueous perchloric acid interface,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 430, no. 1-2, pp. 253–262, 1997.
- A. Sadkowski, A. J. Motheo, and R. S. Neves, “Characterisation of Au(111) and Au(210) aqueous solution interfaces by electrochemical immittance spectroscopy,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 455, no. 1-2, pp. 107–119, 1998.
- T. Pajkossy, T. Wandlowski, and D. M. Kolb, “Impedance aspects of anion adsorption on gold single crystal electrodes,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 414, no. 2, pp. 209–220, 1996.
- R. S. Neves, E. de Robertis, and A. J. Motheo, “Capacitance dispersion in EIS measurements of halides adsorption on Au(2 1 0),” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1215–1224, 2006.
- R. S. Neves, E. de Robertis, and A. J. Motheo, “Capacitance dispersion in electrochemical impedance spectroscopy measurements of iodide adsorption on Au(1 1 1),” Applied Surface Science, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 1379–1386, 2006.