- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Critical Care
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 167468, 6 pages
Transcranial Sonography and Cerebral Circulatory Arrest in Adults: A Comprehensive Review
1Servei de Medicina Intensiva, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Carretera Valldemossa 79, 07010 Palma, Spain
2Hans Berger Clinic for Neurology, University Hospital Jena, 07743 Jena, Germany
Received 16 August 2012; Accepted 9 September 2012
Academic Editors: N. Gibney and J. F. Stover
Copyright © 2013 Juan Antonio Llompart-Pou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. F. M. Wijdicks, “The diagnosis of brain death,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 16, pp. 1215–1221, 2001.
- E. F. M. Wijdicks, “Brain death worldwide: accepted fact but no global consensus in diagnostic criteria,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2002.
- A. Günther, H. Axer, J. A. Llompart Pou, O. W. Witte, and C. Terborg, “Determination of brain death: an overview with a special emphasis on new ultrasound techniques for confirmatory testing,” Open Critical Care Medicine Journal, vol. 4, pp. 35–43, 2011.
- Real Decreto, 2070/1999, de 30 de diciembre, por el que se regulan las actividades de obtención y utilización clínica de órganos humanos y la coordinación territorial en material de donación y trasplante de órganos y tejidos.
- E. F. M. Wijdicks, “The case against confirmatory tests for determining brain death in adults,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 77–83, 2010.
- D. Escudero, J. Otero, L. Marqués et al., “Diagnosing brain death by CT perfusion and multislice CT angiography,” Neurocritical Care, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 261–271, 2009.
- A. H. Karantanas, G. M. Hadjigeorgiou, K. Paterakis, D. Sfiras, and A. Komnos, “Contribution of MRI and MR angiography in early diagnosis of brain death,” European Radiology, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2710–2716, 2002.
- B. Vivien, X. Paqueron, P. Le Cosquer, O. Langeron, P. Coriat, and B. Riou, “Detection of brain death onset using the bispectral index in severely comatose patients,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 419–425, 2002.
- J. M. Abadal, J. A. Llompart-Pou, J. Homar, J. Velasco, J. Ibáñaz, and J. Pérez-Bárcena, “Ultrasonographic cerebral perfusion in assessment of brain death: a preliminary study,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 791–794, 2008.
- E. F. M. Wijdicks, P. N. Varelas, G. S. Gronseth, and D. M. Greer, “Evidence-based guideline update: determining brain death in adults: report of the quality standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 23, pp. 1911–1918, 2010.
- J. M. Abadal, J. A. Llompart-Pou, J. Homar, J. Pérez-Bárcena, and J. Ibáñez, “Applications of transcranial color-coded duplex sonography in monitoring neurocritical patients,” Medicina Intensiva, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 510–517, 2007.
- L. Dosemeci, B. Dora, M. Yilmaz, M. Cengiz, S. Balkan, and A. Ramazanoglu, “Utility of transcranial Doppler ultrasonography for confirmatory diagnosis of brain death: two sides of the coin,” Transplantation, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 2004.
- F. J. Kirkham, S. D. Levin, T. S. Padayachee, M. C. Kyme, B. G. R. Neville, and R. G. Gosling, “Transcranial pulsed Doppler ultrasound findings in brain stem death,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1504–1513, 1987.
- A. H. Ropper, S. M. Kehne, and L. Wechsler, “Transcranial Doppler in brain death,” Neurology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1733–1735, 1987.
- X. Ducrocq, W. Hassler, K. Moritake et al., “Consensus opinion on diagnosis of cerebral circulatory arrest using Doppler-sonography: task Force Group on cerebral death of the Neurosonology Research Group of the World Federation of Neurology,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 145–150, 1998.
- T. Segura, S. Calleja, P. Irimia, and J. I. Tembl, “Recommendations for the use of transcranial Doppler ultrasonography to determine the existence of cerebral circulatory arrest as diagnostic support for brain death,” Reviews in the Neurosciences, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 251–259, 2009.
- J. Poularas, D. Karakitsos, G. Kouraklis et al., “Comparison between transcranial color doppler ultrasonography and angiography in the confirmation of brain death,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1213–1217, 2006.
- J. A. Llompart-Pou, J. M. Abadal, J. Velasco et al., “Contrast-enhanced transcranial color sonography in the diagnosis of cerebral circulatory arrest,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1466–1468, 2009.
- J. Krejza, Z. Mariak, J. Walecki, P. Szydlik, J. Lewko, and A. Ustymowicz, “Transcranial color Doppler sonography of basal cerebral arteries in 182 healthy subjects: age and sex variability and normal reference values for blood flow parameters,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 213–218, 1999.
- W. Hassler, H. Steinmetz, and J. Pirschel, “Transcranial Doppler study of intracranial circulatory arrest,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 1989.
- G. R. De Freitas and C. André, “Sensitivity of transcranial Doppler for confirming brain death: a prospective study of 270 cases,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 426–432, 2006.
- E. Fages, J. I. Tembl, G. Fortea et al., “Clinical usefulness of transcranial Doppler in diagnosis of brain death,” Medicina Clinica, vol. 122, no. 11, pp. 407–412, 2004.
- A. C. Nebra, B. Virgós, S. Santos et al., “Clinical diagnostic of brain death and transcranial Doppler, looking for middle cerebral arteries and intra cranial vertebral arteries. Agreement with scintigraphic techniques,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 916–920, 2001.
- Y. Zurynski, N. Dorsch, I. Pearson, and R. Choong, “Transcranial Doppler ultrasound in brain death: experience in 140 patients,” Neurological Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 248–252, 1991.
- G. R. De Freitas, C. André, M. Bezerra, R. G. Nunes, and M. Vincent, “Persistence of isolated flow in the internal carotid artery in brain death,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 210, no. 1-2, pp. 31–34, 2003.
- M. Hadani, B. Bruk, Z. Ram, N. Knoller, R. Spiegelmann, and E. Segal, “Application of transcranial Doppler ultrasonography for the diagnosis of brain death,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 822–828, 1999.
- C. Cabrer, J. M. Domínguez-Roldan, M. Manyalich et al., “Persistence of intracranial diastolic flow in transcranial Doppler sonography exploration of patients in brain death,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1642–1643, 2003.
- A. Conti, D. G. Iacopino, A. Spada et al., “Transcranial doppler ultrasonography in the assessment of cerebral circulation arrest: improving sensitivity by trancervical and transorbital carotid insonation and serial examinations,” Neurocritical Care, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 326–335, 2009.
- Y. Lampl, R. Gilad, Y. Eschel, M. Boaz, A. Rapoport, and M. Sadeh, “Diagnosing brain death using the transcranial Doppler with a transorbital approach,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 2002.
- J. M. Dominguez-Roldan, P. I. Jimenez-Gonzalez, C. Garcia-Alfaro, V. Rivera-Fernandez, and F. Hernandez-Hazañas, “Diagnosis of brain death by transcranial Doppler sonography: solutions for cases of difficult sonic windows,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 2896–2897, 2004.
- L. M. Monteiro, C. W. Bollen, A. C. Van Huffelen, R. G. A. Ackerstaff, N. J. G. Jansen, and A. J. Van Vught, “Transcranial Doppler ultrasonography to confirm brain death: a meta-analysis,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1937–1944, 2006.
- M. A. Sloan, A. V. Alexandrov, C. H. Tegeler et al., “Assessment: transcranial Doppler ultrasonography. Report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 1468–1481, 2004.