- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 171865, 8 pages
Biosorption of Pb(II) from Aqueous Solution Using Cow Hooves: Kinetics and Thermodynamics
1Department of Chemical Sciences, Afe Babalola University, PMB 5454, Ado Ekiti 360101, Nigeria
2Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Technology, PMB 704, Akure 340252, Nigeria
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 23 May 2013
Academic Editors: T. Panczyk, X. Rozanska, and R. Spezia
Copyright © 2013 I. Osasona et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Jain, V. K. Garg, and K. Kadirvelu, “Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous medium onto carbonaceous adsorbents prepared from waste biomass,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 949–957, 2010.
- Y. Bulut and Z. Baysal, “Removal of Pb(II) from wastewater using wheat bran,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2006.
- M. E. Argun, S. Dursun, C. Ozdemir, and M. Karatas, “Heavy metal adsorption by modified oak sawdust: thermodynamics and kinetics,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2007.
- A. Sari and M. Tuzen, “Biosorption of cadmium(II) from aqueous solution by red algae (Ceramium virgatum): equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 157, no. 2-3, pp. 448–454, 2008.
- K. R. Krishna and L. Phillip, “Bioremediation of Cr (VI) in contaminated soils,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 121, pp. 109–117, 2005.
- B. Volesky, “Detoxification of metal-bearing effluents: biosorption for the next century,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 59, no. 2-3, pp. 203–216, 2001.
- TERI Energy Data Directory & Yearbook, Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India, 2005-2006.
- A. Ratnakumari and K. Sobha, “Biosorption of Cu2+ using animal polymers: chick and duck feathers,” International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 664–669, 2012.
- S. Khatoon, J. Anwar, M. Hassan, R. Farooq, H. B. Fatima, and H. N. Khalid, “Removal of chromium (VI) by biosorption on Eucalptus bark,” World Applied Science Journal, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1638–1643, 2009.
- M. A. Tofighy and T. Mohammadi, “Adsorption of divalent heavy metal ions from water using carbon nanotube sheets,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 185, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- M. A. Khan, R. A. K. Rao, and M. Ajmal, “Heavy metal pollution and its control through nonconventional adsorbents (1998–2007): a review,” Journal of International Environmental Application & Science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 101–141, 2008.
- P. S. Kumar, S. Ramalingam, R. V. Abhinaya, S. D. Kirupha, A. Murugesan, and S. Sivanesan, “Adsorption of metal ions onto the chemically modified agricultural waste,” Clean—Soil, Air, Water, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 188–197, 2012.
- N. Nasuha, B. H. Hameed, and A. T. M. Din, “Rejected tea as a potential low-cost adsorbent for the removal of methylene blue,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 175, no. 1–3, pp. 126–132, 2010.
- M. A. Hossain, H. H. Ngo, W. S. Guo, and T. V. Nguyen, “Biosorption of Cu (II) from water by banana peel base biosorbent: experiments and models of adsorption and desorption,” Journal of Water Sustainability, vol. 1, pp. 87–104, 2012.
- I. Osasona, A. O. Adebayo, and O. O. Ajayi, “Adsorptive removal of chromium (VI) from aqueous solution using cow hooves,” Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 288–303, 2013.
- L. Wang, J. Zhang, R. Zhao, Y. Li, C. Li, and C. Zhang, “Adsorption of Pb(II) on activated carbon prepared from Polygonum orientale Linn.: kinetics, isotherms, pH, and ionic strength studies,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 15, pp. 5808–5814, 2010.
- K. Vijayaraghavan and Y.-S. Yun, “Bacterial biosorbents and biosorption,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 266–291, 2008.
- A. S. A. Prasad, G. Varatharaju, C. Anushri, and S. Dhivyasree, “Biosorption of lead by Pleurotus florida and Trichoderma viride,” British Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 66–78, 2013.
- P. R. Puranik and K. M. Paknikar, “Biosorption of lead and zinc from solutions using Streptoverticillium cinnamoneum waste biomass,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 113–124, 1997.
- R. Pardo, M. Herguedas, E. Barrado, and M. Vega, “Biosorption of cadmium, copper, lead and zinc by inactive biomass of Pseudomonas putida,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 376, no. 1, pp. 26–32, 2003.
- A. O. Adebayo, “Investigation on Pleurotus ferulae potential for the sorption of Pb (II) from aqueous solution,” Bulletin of Chemical Society of Ethiopia, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2013.
- G. Tan, H. Yuan, Y. Liu, and D. Xiao, “Removal of lead from aqueous solution with native and chemically modified corncobs,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 174, no. 1–3, pp. 740–745, 2010.
- S. B. Choi and Y.-S. Yun, “Lead biosorption by waste biomass of Corynebacterium glutamicum generated from lysine fermentation process,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 331–336, 2004.
- E. Fuchs, “Keratins and the skin,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 111, pp. 23–153, 1995.
- BBC News, “The unsual uses for animal body parts,” June 2011, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/science-environment-13670184.
- M. Riaz, R. Nadeem, M. A. Hanif, T. M. Ansari, and K.-U. Rehman, “Pb(II) biosorption from hazardous aqueous streams using Gossypium hirsutum (Cotton) waste biomass,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2009.
- Z. Aksu, “Determination of the equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic parameters of the batch biosorption of nickel(II) ions onto Chlorella vulgaris,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 89–99, 2002.
- S. Tunali, A. Çabuk, and T. Akar, “Removal of lead and copper ions from aqueous solutions by bacterial strain isolated from soil,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 115, no. 3, pp. 203–211, 2006.
- C.-C. Lin and Y.-T. Lai, “Adsorption and recovery of lead(II) from aqueous solutions by immobilized Pseudomonas aeruginosa PU21 beads,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 99–105, 2006.
- G. Vazquez, G. Antorrena, J. Gonzalez, and M. D. Doval, “Adsorption of heavy metal ions by chemically modified Pinus pinaster bark,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 251–255, 1994.
- S. V. Kertman, G. M. Kertman, and Z. S. Chibrikova, “Peat as a heavy metal sorbent,” Journal of Applied Chemistry of the USSR, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 465–466, 1993.
- W.-B. Lu, J.-J. Shi, C.-H. Wang, and J.-S. Chang, “Biosorption of lead, copper and cadmium by an indigenous isolate Enterobacter sp. J1 possessing high heavy-metal resistance,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 134, no. 1–3, pp. 80–86, 2006.
- R. Zacaria, C. Gerente, Y. Andres, and P. le Cloirec, “Adsorption of several metal ions onto a low-cost biosorbent: kinetic and equilibrium studies,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2067–2073, 2002.
- I. Mobasherpour, E. Salahi, and M. Pazouki, “Removal of nickel (II) from aqueous solutions by using nano-crystalline calcium hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2011.
- B. S. Krishna, D. S. R. Murty, and B. S. J. Prakash, “Thermodynamics of chromium(VI) anionic species sorption onto surfactant-modified montmorillonite clay,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 229, no. 1, pp. 230–236, 2000.
- Q. Li, J. Zhai, W. Zhang, M. Wang, and J. Zhou, “Kinetic studies of adsorption of Pb(II), Cr(III) and Cu(II) from aqueous solution by sawdust and modified peanut husk,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 163–167, 2007.
- R. Han, W. Zou, W. Yu, S. Cheng, Y. Wang, and J. Shi, “Biosorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by fallen phoenix tree's leaves,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 156–162, 2007.
- J. O. Babalola, N. A. A. Babarinde, O. A. Popoola, and V. O. Oninla, “Kinetic, isothermal and thermodynamic studies of the biosorption of Ni(II) and Cr(III) from aqueous solutions by Talinum triangulare (water leaf),” The Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 439–450, 2009.