- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 189659, 8 pages
Piezoelectric Microfiber Composite Actuators for Morphing Wings
Department of Physics, California State University at San Bernardino, 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407, USA
Received 27 November 2012; Accepted 22 December 2012
Academic Editors: I. Dubenko and K. Hokamoto
Copyright © 2013 Timothy D. Usher et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Giurgiutiu, “Recent advances in smart-material rotor control actuation,” in Proceedings of the 41st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference and ExhibitAIAA/ASME/AHS Adaptive Structures Forum, pp. 237–247, AIAA, Atlanta, Ga, USA, April 2000, Paper # AIAA 2000-1709.
- J. L. San Emeterio and A. Ramos, “Models for piezoelectric transducers used in broadband ultrasonic applications,” in Piezoelectric Transducers and Applications, A. A. Vives, Ed., pp. 97–110, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2008.
- Y. Sugawara, K. Onitsuka, S. Yoshikawa, Q. C. Xu, R. E. Newnham, and K. Uchino, “Metal-ceramic composite actuators,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 996–998, 1992.
- G. H. Haertling, “RAINBOW ceramics—a new type of ultra-high-displacement actuator,” American Ceramic Society Bulletin, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 93–96, 1994.
- K. M. Mossi, G. V. Selby, and R. G. Bryant, “Thin-layer composite unimorph ferroelectric driver and sensor properties,” Materials Letters, vol. 35, no. 1-2, pp. 39–49, 1998.
- K. J. Yoon, S. S. Shin, H. C. Park, and M. K. Kwak, “Development of lightweight THUNDER with fiber composite layers,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2000: Active Materials: Behavior and Mechanics, vol. 3992 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 57–64, Newport Beach, Calif, USA, March 2000.
- K. G. Webber, D. P. Hopkinson, and C. S. Lynch, “Application of a classical lamination theory model to the design of piezoelectric composite unimorph actuators,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2006.
- W. K. Wilkie, R. G. Bryant, J. W. High, R. L. Fox, R. F. Hellbaum, A. Jalink Jr., et al., “Low-cost piezocomposite actuator for structural control applications,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2000: Industrial and Commercial Applications of Smart Structures Technologies, vol. 3991 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 323–334, Newport Beach, Calif, USA, March 2000.
- J. A. Palmer, B. Dessent, J. F. Mulling et al., “The design and characterization of a novel piezoelectric transducer-based linear motor,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 392–398, 2004.
- R. Ganguli, “Survey of recent developments in rotorcraft design optimization,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 493–510, 2004.
- S. C. Galea, T. G. Ryall, D. A. Henderson, R. W. Moses, E. V. White, and D. G. Zimcik, “Next generation active buffet suppression system,” in Proceedings of the AIAA International Air and Space Symposium and Exposition: The Next 100 Years, Dayton, Ohio, USA, July 2003, Paper # AIAA-2003-2905.
- S. Barbarino, O. Bilgen, R. M. Ajaj, M. I. Friswell, and D. J. Inman, “A review of morphing aircraft,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 823–877, 2011.
- R. B. Williams, G. Park, D. J. Inman, and W. K. Wilkie, “An overview of composite actuators with piezoceramic fibers,” in Proceedings of the 20th International Modal Analysis Conference, vol. 4753, pp. 421–427, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, February 2002.
- W. K. Wilkie, J. High, and J. Bockman, “Reliability testing of NASA piezocomposite actuators,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on New Actuators (Actuator 2002), Bremen, Germany, June 2002.
- D. Cadogan, T. Smith, R. Lee, S. Scarborough, and D. Graziosi, “Inflatable and rigidizable wing components for unmanned aerial vehicles,” in Proceedings of the 44th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, pp. 3688–3695, Norfolk, Va, USA, April 2003, Paper # AIAA 2003-1801.
- D. Cadogan, T. Smith, F. Uhelsky, and M. MacKusick, “Morphing inflatable wing development for compact package unmanned aerial vehicles,” in Proceedings of the 45th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, pp. 3205–3217, Palm Springs, Calif, USA, April 2004, Paper # AIAA 2004-1807.
- R. W. Schwartz and M. Narayanan, “Development of high performance stress-biased actuators through the incorporation of mechanical pre-loads,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 322–331, 2002.
- X. Zhou and A. Chattopadhyay, “Nonlinear piezoelectric constitutive relationship and actuation for piezoelectric laminates,” in Proceedings of the 43rd Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, pp. 1903–1913, Denver, Colo, USA, April 2002, Paper # AIAA 1438.
- R. B. Williams, Nonlinear mechanical and actuation characterization of piezoceramic fiber composites [Ph.D. thesis], Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va, USA, 2004.
- R. B. Williams, B. W. Grimsley, D. J. Inman, and W. K. Wilkie, “Manufacturing and mechanics-based characterization of macro fiber composite actuators,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Adaptive Structures and Materials Systems Symposium, New Orleans, La, USA, November 2002.
- M. S. Azzouz, C. Mei, J. S. Bevan, and R. J. Jong, “Finite element modeling of MFC/AFC actuators and performance of MFC,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 601–612, 2001.
- W. Beckert and W. S. Kreher, “Modelling piezoelectric modules with interdigitated electrode structures,” Computational Materials Science, vol. 26, pp. 36–45, 2003.
- T. D. Usher, A. Sim, G. Ashford, G. Camargo, A. Cabanyog, and K. Ulibarri, “Modeling and applications of new piezoelectric actuator technologies,” in Smart Structures and Materials 2004: Modeling, Signal Processing, and Control, vol. 5383 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 31–38, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2004.
- J. Mulling, T. Usher, B. Dessent et al., “Load characterization of high displacement piezoelectric actuators with various end conditions,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 94, no. 1-2, pp. 19–24, 2001.
- M. Capozzoli, J. Gopalakrishnan, K. Hogan et al., “Modeling aspects concerning THUNDER actuators,” in Smart Structures and Materials: Mathematics and Control in Smart Structures, vol. 3667 of Proceedings of the SPIE, pp. 719–727, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 1999.
- A. C. Ugural and S. K. Fenster, Advanced Strength and Applied Elasticity, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- T. Usher and A. Sim, “Nonlinear dynamics of piezoelectric high displacement actuators in cantilever mode,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 98, no. 6, Article ID 064102, 7 pages, 2005.
- Y. Kim, L. Cai, T. Usher, and Q. Jiang, “Fabrication and characterization of THUNDER actuators—pre-stress-induced nonlinearity in the actuation response,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 18, no. 9, Article ID 095033, 2009.
- J. L. Pinkerton and R. W. Moses, “A feasibility study to control airfoil shape using THUNDER,” NASA Technical Manuscript TM-4767, 2003, http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19970041605_1997093204.pdf.
- C. Kennedy, T. Usher, J. Mulling, and A. Kingon, “Modeling and simulation of THUNDER actuators using ANSYS finite element analysis,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Modeling and Simulation of Microsystems (MSM'01), pp. 330–333, Nanotech 2001, Hilton Head Island, SC, USA, March 2001.