- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 208087, 15 pages
Effectiveness of Alkali-Acid Treatment in Enhancement the Adsorption Capacity for Rice Straw: The Removal of Methylene Blue Dye
Physical Chemistry Department, Laboratory of Surface Chemistry and Catalysis, National Research Center, Dokki, Cairo 12622, Egypt
Received 13 February 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editors: A. Gil-Villegas, H. Pal, and T. Panczyk
Copyright © 2013 Nady A. Fathy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO/UNICEF, Global Water Supply and Sanitation Assessment Report 2000, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2000.
- M. Rafatullah, O. Sulaiman, R. Hashim, and A. Ahmad, “Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: a review,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 177, no. 1-3, pp. 70–80, 2010.
- I. M. Banat, P. Nigam, D. Singh, and R. Marchant, “Microbial decolorization of textile-dye-containing effluents: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 217–227, 1996.
- C. I. Pearce, J. R. Lloyd, and J. T. Guthrie, “The removal of colour from textile wastewater using whole bacterial cells: a review,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 179–196, 2003.
- G. McMullan, C. Meehan, A. Conneely et al., “Microbial decolourisation and degradation of textile dyes,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 81–87, 2001.
- G. Crini, “Non-conventional low-cost adsorbents for dye removal: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 1061–1085, 2006.
- D. Ghosh and K. G. Bhattacharyya, “Adsorption of methylene blue on kaolinite,” Applied Clay Science, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 295–300, 2002.
- I. A. W. Tan, A. L. Ahmad, and B. H. Hameed, “Adsorption of basic dye on high-surface-area activated carbon prepared from coconut husk: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 154, no. 1-3, pp. 337–346, 2008.
- R. C. Bansal and M. Goyal, Activated Carbon Adsorption, Taylor and Francis, London, UK, 2005.
- Q. Sun and L. Yang, “The adsorption of basic dyes from aqueous solution on modified peat-resin particle,” Water Research, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1535–1544, 2003.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “Sorption of dyes and copper ions onto biosorbents,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 1047–1061, 2003.
- D. Mohan, K. P. Singh, G. Singh, and K. Kumar, “Removal of dyes from wastewater using flyash, a low-cost adsorbent,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 41, no. 15, pp. 3688–3695, 2002.
- A. El-Maghraby and H. A. El Deeb, “Removal of a basic dye from aqueous solution by adsorption using rice hulls,” Global NEST Journal, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 90–98, 2011.
- R. Gong, Y. Jin, J. Chen, Y. Hu, and J. Sun, “Removal of basic dyes from aqueous solution by sorption on phosphoric acid modified rice straw,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 332–337, 2007.
- R. Gong, Y. Jin, F. Chen, J. Chen, and Z. Liu, “Enhanced malachite green removal from aqueous solution by citric acid modified rice straw,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 865–870, 2006.
- R. Gong, K. Zhong, Y. Hu, J. Chen, and G. Zhu, “Thermochemical esterifying citric acid onto lignocellulose for enhancing methylene blue sorption capacity of rice straw,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 875–880, 2008.
- S. Chakraborty, S. Chowdhury, and P. D. Saha, “Adsorption of Crystal Violet from aqueous solution onto NaOH-modified rice husk,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 86, pp. 1533–1541, 2011.
- B. S. Ndazi, S. Karlsson, J. V. Tesha, and C. W. Nyahumwa, “Chemical and physical modifications of rice husks for use as composite panels,” Composites Part A, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 925–935, 2007.
- W. E. Marshall, L. H. Wartelle, D. E. Boler, M. M. Johns, and C. A. Toles, “Enhanced metal adsorption by soybean hulls modified with citric acid,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 1999.
- C. A. Leon y Leon and L. R. Radovic, “Interfacial chemistry and electrochemistry of carbon surfaces,” in Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, P. A. Thrower, Ed., vol. 24, pp. 213–310, Marcel Dekker, 1994.
- NORIT Testing Methods, Special publication, Norit N.V., Holland.
- G. McKay and M. J. Bino, “Fixed bed adsorption for the removal of pollutants from water,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 33–53, 1990.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “Pseudo-second order model for sorption processes,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 451–465, 1999.
- G. McKay, M. J. Bino, and A. R. Altamemi, “The adsorption of various pollutants from aqueous solutions on to activated carbon,” Water Research, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 491–495, 1985.
- A. M. M. Vargas, A. L. Cazetta, M. H. Kunita, T. L. Silva, and V. C. Almeida, “Adsorption of methylene blue on activated carbon produced from flamboyant pods (Delonix regia): study of adsorption isotherms and kinetic models,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 722–730, 2011.
- S. Lagergren, “Zur theorie der sogenannten adsorption geloster stoffe. 591. Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens,” Handlingar, vol. 24, pp. 1–39, 1898.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “Sorption of dye from aqueous solution by peat,” Chemical Engineering Journal, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 115–124, 1998.
- J. Morris and W. J. Weber, “Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution,” Journal of the Sanitary Engineering Division, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 31–39, 1963.
- D. J. Hills and D. W. Roberts, “Anaerobic digestion of dairy manure and field crop residues,” Agricultural Wastes, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 179–189, 1981.
- R. E. Wing, “Starch citrate: preparation and ion exchange properties,” Starch, vol. 48, no. 7-8, pp. 275–279, 1996.
- J. S. Noh and J. A. Schwarz, “Estimation of the point of zero charge of simple oxides by mass titration,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 157–164, 1989.
- L. R. Radovic and F. Rodriguez-Reinoso, “Carbon materials in catalysis,” in Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, P. A. Thrower, Ed., vol. 25, pp. 243–358, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- L. H. Wartelle and W. E. Marshall, “Citric acid modified agricultural by-products as copper ion adsorbents,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2000.
- E. M. Ciannamea, P. M. Stefani, and R. A. Ruseckaite, “Medium-density particleboards from modified rice husks and soybean protein concentrate-based adhesives,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 818–825, 2010.
- D. J. Malik, V. Strelko Jr., M. Streat, and A. M. Puziy, “Characterisation of novel modified active carbons and marine algal biomass for the selective adsorption of lead,” Water Research, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1527–1538, 2002.
- A. M. Puziy, O. I. Poddubnaya, A. Martínez-Alonso, F. Suárez-García, and J. M. D. Tascón, “Synthetic carbons activated with phosphoric—acid I. Surface chemistry and ion binding properties,” Carbon, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1493–1505, 2002.
- N. K. Amin, “Removal of reactive dye from aqueous solutions by adsorption onto activated carbons prepared from sugarcane bagasse pith,” Desalination, vol. 223, no. 1-3, pp. 152–161, 2008.
- A. Rodríguez, J. García, G. Ovejero, and M. Mestanza, “Adsorption of anionic and cationic dyes on activated carbon from aqueous solutions: equilibrium and kinetics,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 172, no. 2-3, pp. 1311–1320, 2009.
- S. Wang and Z. H. Zhu, “Effects of acidic treatment of activated carbons on dye adsorption,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 306–314, 2007.
- S. T. Ong, W. N. Lee, P. S. Keng, S. L. Lee, Y. T. Hung, and S. T. Ha, “Equilibrium studies and kinetics mechanism for the removal of basic and reactive dyes in both single and binary systems using EDTA modified rice husk,” International Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 582–595, 2010.
- B. S. Inbaraj, K. Selvarani, and N. Sulochana, “Evaluation of a carbonaceous sorbent prepared from Pearl Millet Husk for its removal of basic dyes,” Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 971–978, 2002.
- B. H. Hameed, R. R. Krishni, and S. A. Sata, “A novel agricultural waste adsorbent for the removal of cationic dye from aqueous solutions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 305–311, 2009.
- H. Lata, V. K. Garg, and R. K. Gupta, “Removal of a basic dye from aqueous solution by adsorption using Parthenium hysterophorus: an agricultural waste,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 653–658, 2007.
- V. Vadivelan and K. V. Kumar, “Equilibrium, kinetics, mechanism, and process design for the sorption of methylene blue onto rice husk,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 286, no. 1, pp. 90–100, 2005.
- M. S. Sajab, C. H. Chia, S. Zakaria et al., “Citric acid modified kenaf core fibres for removal of methylene blue from aqueous solution,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 15, pp. 7237–7243, 2011.
- C. A. Başar, “Applicability of the various adsorption models of three dyes adsorption onto activated carbon prepared waste apricot,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 135, no. 1-3, pp. 232–241, 2006.
- F. Ferrero, “Dye removal by low cost adsorbents: Hazelnut shells in comparison with wood sawdust,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 142, no. 1-2, pp. 144–152, 2007.
- I. D. Mall, V. C. Srivastava, N. K. Agarwal, and I. M. Mishra, “Removal of congo red from aqueous solution by bagasse fly ash and activated carbon: kinetic study and equilibrium isotherm analyses,” Chemosphere, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 492–501, 2005.