- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 210470, 9 pages
Sumac Leaves as a Novel Low-Cost Adsorbent for Removal of Basic Dye from Aqueous Solution
Chemistry Department, Yildiz Technical University, 34220 Esenler, Istanbul, Turkey
Received 21 August 2013; Accepted 26 September 2013
Academic Editors: J. J. Santana-Rodríguez and N. Viswanathan
Copyright © 2013 Öznur Dülger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Sivaraj, C. Namasivayam, and K. Kadirvelu, “Orange peel as an adsorbent in the removal of Acid violet 17 (acid dye) from aqueous solutions,” Waste Management, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 105–110, 2001.
- S. P. Raghuvanshi, R. Singh, and C. P. Kaushik, “Adsorption of congo red dye from aqueous solutions using neem leaves as adsorbent,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 4994–5000, 2008.
- A. S. ALzaydien, “Adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution onto a low-cost natural jordanian tripoli,” American Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 197–208, 2009.
- K. G. Bhattacharya and A. Sharma, “Kinetics and thermodynamics of Methylene Blue adsorption on Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf powder,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2005.
- S. Chowdhury and P. D. Saha, “Biosorption of methylene blue from aqueous solutions by a waste biomaterial: hen feathers,” Applied Water Science, vol. 2, pp. 209–219, 2012.
- K. V. Kumar, “Optimum sorption isotherm by linear and non-linear methods for malachite green onto lemon peel,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 595–597, 2007.
- S. Senthilkumaar, P. R. Varadarajan, K. Porkodi, and C. V. Subbhuraam, “Adsorption of methylene blue onto jute fiber carbon: kinetics and equilibrium studies,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 284, no. 1, pp. 78–82, 2005.
- B. H. Hameed and A. A. Ahmad, “Batch adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solution by garlic peel, an agricultural waste biomass,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 164, no. 2-3, pp. 870–875, 2009.
- M. C. Ncibi, B. Mahjoub, and M. Seffen, “Kinetic and equilibrium studies of methylene blue biosorption by Posidonia oceanica (L.) fibres,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 280–285, 2007.
- G. Palma, J. Freer, and J. Baeza, “Removal of metal ions by modified Pinus radiata bark and tannins from water solutions,” Water Research, vol. 37, no. 20, pp. 4974–4980, 2003.
- M. Özacar, C. Soykan, and I. A. Şengil, “Studies on synthesis, characterization, and metal adsorption of mimosa and valonia tannin resins,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 786–797, 2006.
- A. Zalacain, M. Prodanov, M. Carmona, and G. L. Alonso, “Optimisation of extraction and identification of gallotannins from sumac leaves,” Biosystems Engineering, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 211–216, 2003.
- A. Uçer, A. Uyanık, and F. Ş. Aygün, “Adsorption of Cu(II), Cd(II), Zn(II), Mn(II) and Fe(III) ions by tannic acid immobilized activated carbon,” Seperation and Purification Technology, vol. 47, pp. 113–118, 2006.
- P. Waranusantigul, P. Pokethitiyook, M. Kruatrachue, and E. S. Upatham, “Kinetics of basic dye (methylene blue) biosorption by giant duckweed (Spirodela polyrrhiza),” Environmental Pollution, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 385–392, 2003.
- C. Tien, Adsorption Calculations and Modeling, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, Mass, USA, 1994.
- G. Crini, H. N. Peindy, F. Gimbert, and C. Robert, “Removal of C.I. Basic Green 4 (Malachite Green) from aqueous solutions by adsorption using cyclodextrin-based adsorbent: kinetic and equilibrium studies,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 97–110, 2007.
- G. Limousin, J.-P. Gaudet, L. Charlet, S. Szenknect, V. Barthès, and M. Krimissa, “Sorption isotherms: a review on physical bases, modeling and measurement,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 249–275, 2007.
- G. Alberti, V. Amendola, M. Pesavento, and R. Biesuz, “Beyond the synthesis of novel solid phases: review on modelling of sorption phenomena,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 256, no. 1-2, pp. 28–45, 2012.
- T. W. Weber and R. K. Chakravorti, “Pore and solid diffusion models for fixed-bed adsorbers,” Journal of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 228–238, 1974.
- T. B. Iyim and G. Güçlü, “Removal of basic dyes from aqueous solutions using natural clay,” Desalination, vol. 249, no. 3, pp. 1377–1379, 2009.
- S. Lagergren, “About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances,” Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademies Handlingar, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 1–39, 1898.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “A Comparison of chemisorption kinetic models applied to pollutant removal on various sorbents,” Process Safety and Environmental Protection, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 332–340, 1998.
- W. J. Weber and J. C. Morris, “Kinetics of adsorption on carbon from solution,” Journal of the Sanitary Engineering Division, vol. 89, pp. 31–59, 1963.
- N. Kannan and M. M. Sundaram, “Kinetics and mechanism of removal of methylene blue by adsorption on various carbons—a comparative study,” Dyes and Pigments, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2001.
- S. Karagöz, T. Tay, S. Uçar, and M. Erdem, “Activated carbons from waste biomass by sulfuric acid activation and their use on methylene blue adsorption,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 14, pp. 6214–6222, 2008.
- B. H. Hameed, R. R. Krishni, and S. A. Sata, “A novel agricultural waste adsorbent for the removal of cationic dye from aqueous solutions,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 305–311, 2009.
- E. N. El Qada, S. J. Allen, and G. M. Walker, “Adsorption of basic dyes onto activated carbon using microcolumns,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 45, no. 17, pp. 6044–6049, 2006.
- B. H. Hameed, A. T. M. Din, and A. L. Ahmad, “Adsorption of methylene blue onto bamboo-based activated carbon: kinetics and equilibrium studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 819–825, 2007.
- W. F. Jaynes and S. A. Boyd, “Hydrophobicity of siloxane surfaces in smectites as revealed by aromatic hydrocarbon adsorption from water,” Clays & Clay Minerals, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 428–436, 1991.
- P. Saha, “Assessment on the removal of methylene blue dye using tamarind fruit shell as biosorbent,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 213, no. 1–4, pp. 287–299, 2010.
- B. H. Hameed, D. K. Mahmoud, and A. L. Ahmad, “Equilibrium modeling and kinetic studies on the adsorption of basic dye by a low-cost adsorbent: coconut (Cocos nucifera) bunch waste,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 65–72, 2008.
- Y. S. Ho and G. McKay, “Pseudo-second order model for sorption processes,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 451–465, 1999.
- W. H. Cheung, Y. S. Szeto, and G. McKay, “Intraparticle diffusion processes during acid dye adsorption onto chitosan,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 98, no. 15, pp. 2897–2904, 2007.