- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 214304, 4 pages
Does Time between Imaging Diagnosis and Initiation of Radiotherapy Impact Survival after Whole-Brain Radiotherapy for Brain Metastases?
1Department of Oncology and Palliative Medicine, Nordland Hospital, 8092 Bodø, Norway
2Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
3Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Northern Norway, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Received 26 February 2013; Accepted 29 March 2013
Academic Editors: R.-J. Bensadoun, J. Bentel, and B. Comin-Anduix
Copyright © 2013 Carsten Nieder et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Rosenblatt, J. Izewska, Y. Anacak, et al., “Radiotherapy capacity in European countries: an analysis of the Directory of Radiotherapy Centres (DIRAC) database,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. e79–e86, 2013.
- M. R. Lavergne, G. M. Johnston, J. Gao, T. J. B. Dummer, and D. E. Rheaume, “Variation in the use of palliative radiotherapy at end of life: examining demographic, clinical, health service, and geographic factors in a population-based study,” Palliative Medicine, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 101–110, 2011.
- W. Kong, C. R. Jarvis, D. S. Sutton, K. Ding, and W. J. Mackillop, “The use of palliative whole brain radiotherapy in the management of brain metastases,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. e149–e158, 2012.
- M. N. Tsao, D. Rades, A. Wirth, et al., “International practice survey on the management of brain metastases: third international consensus workshop on palliative radiotherapy and symptom control,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. e81–e92, 2012.
- D. Rades, S. Kieckebusch, R. Lohynska et al., “Reduction of overall treatment time in patients irradiated for more than three brain metastases,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 1509–1513, 2007.
- R. E. Langley, R. J. Stephens, M. Nankivell, et al., “Interim data from the Medical Research Council QUARTZ trial: does whole brain radiotherapy affect the survival and quality of life of patients with brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer?” Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, pp. e23–e30, 2013.
- C. Nieder, J. Norum, A. Dalhaug, G. Aandahl, and A. Pawinski, “Radiotherapy versus best supportive care in patients with brain metastases and adverse prognostic factors,” Clinical & Experimental Metastasis, 2013.
- J. Lutterbach, S. Bartelt, F. Momm, G. Becker, H. Frommhold, and C. Ostertag, “Is older age associated with a worse prognosis due to different patterns of care? A long-term study of 1346 patients with glioblastomas or brain metastases,” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1234–1244, 2005.
- C. Nieder, A. Pawinski, and M. Molls, “Prediction of short survival in patients with brain metastases based on three different scores: a role for ‘triple-negative’ status?” Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 2010.
- L. Gaspar, C. Scott, M. Rotman et al., “Recursive Partitioning Analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 745–751, 1997.
- P. W. Sperduto, N. Kased, D. Roberge, et al., “Summary report on the graded prognostic assessment: an accurate and facile diagnosis-specific tool to estimate survival for patients with brain metastases,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 419–425, 2012.
- M. Jackson, S. Bydder, E. Maujean, M. Taylor, and A. Nowak, “Radiotherapy in the management of high-grade gliomas diagnosed in Western Australia: a patterns of care study,” Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Oncology, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 109–115, 2012.
- Y. R. Lawrence, D. T. Blumenthal, D. Matceyevsky, A. A. Kanner, F. Bokstein, and B. W. Corn, “Delayed initiation of radiotherapy for glioblastoma: how important is it to push to the front (or the back) of the line?” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 105, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- M. P. Mehta, W. R. Shapiro, S. C. Phan et al., “Motexafin gadolinium combined with prompt whole brain radiotherapy prolongs time to neurologic progression in non-small-cell lung cancer patients with brain metastases: results of a phase III trial,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 1069–1076, 2009.
- C. Danjoux, E. Chow, A. Drossos et al., “An innovative rapid response radiotherapy program to reduce waiting time for palliative radiotherapy,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 2006.
- T. Murai, Y. Shibamoto, F. Baba, et al., “Progression of non-small cell lung cancer during the interval before stereotactic body radiotherapy,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 463–467, 2012.
- A. R. Jensen, H. M. Nellemann, and J. Overgaard, “Tumor progression in waiting time for radiotherapy in head and neck cancer,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 5–10, 2007.