- About this Journal ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 248164, 4 pages
Solid-State 13C CP MAS NMR Spectroscopy as a Tool for Detection of (1→3, 1→6)-β-D-Glucan in Products Prepared from Pleurotus ostreatus
Department of Physics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Technical University of Košice, Park Komenského 2, 042 00 Košice, Slovakia
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editors: R. K. Jyothi, T. Macko, and I. Zhukov
Copyright © 2013 O. Fričová and M. Koval'aková. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. E. C. Ooi and F. Liu, “Immunomodulation and anti-cancer activity of polysaccharide-protein complexes,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 715–729, 2000.
- J. A. Bohn and J. N. BeMiller, “(1→3)-β-D-glucans as biological response modifiers: a review of structure-functional activity relationships,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 1995.
- M. Zhang, S. W. Cui, P. C. K. Cheung, and Q. Wang, “Antitumor polysaccharides from mushrooms: a review on their isolation process, structural characteristics and antitumor activity,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 4–19, 2007.
- A. Wiater, R. Paduch, M. Pleszczyńska et al., “α-(1→3)-D-glucans from fruiting bodies of selected macromycetes fungi and the biological activity of their carboxymethylated products,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 787–795, 2011.
- A. Zong, H. Cao, and F. Wang, “Anticancer polysaccharides from natural resources: a review of recent research,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1395–1410, 2012.
- I. Palacios, A. García-Lafuente, E. Guillamón, and A. Villares, “Novel isolation of water-soluble polysaccharides from the fruiting bodies of Pleurotus ostreatus mushrooms,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 358, pp. 72–77, 2012.
- A. Synytsya and M. Novák, “Structural diversity of fungal glucans,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 792–809, 2013.
- A. Synytsya, K. Míčková, A. Synytsya et al., “Glucans from fruit bodies of cultivated mushrooms Pleurotus ostreatus and Pleurotus eryngii: structure and potential prebiotic activity,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 548–556, 2009.
- P. Manzi and L. Pizzoferrato, “β-glucans in edible mushrooms,” Food Chemistry, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 315–318, 2000.
- L. Pelosi, T. Imai, H. Chanzy, L. Heux, E. Buhler, and V. Bulone, “Structural and morphological diversity of (1→3)-β-D-glucans synthesized in vitro by enzymes from Saprolegnia monoïca. Comparison with a corresponding in vitro product from blackberry (Rubus fruticosus),” Biochemistry, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 6264–6274, 2003.
- T. R. Størseth, S. Kirkvold, J. Skjermo, and K. I. Reitan, “A branched β-d-(1→3,1→6)-glucan from the marine diatom Chaetoceros debilis (Bacillariophyceae) characterized by NMR,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 341, no. 12, pp. 2108–2114, 2006.
- H. Saito, M. Yokoi, and Y. Yoshioka, “Effect of hydration on conformational change or stabilization of (1→3)-β-D-glucans of various chain lengths in the solid state as studied by high-resolution solid-state 13C NMR spectroscopy,” Macromolecules, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 3892–3898, 1989.
- P. Dais and A. S. Perlin, “High-field, 13C-N.M.R. spectroscopy of β-D-glucans, amylopectin, and glycogen,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 103–116, 1982.
- H. E. Ensley, B. Tobias, H. A. Pretus et al., “NMR spectral analysis of a water-insoluble (1→3)-β-D-glucan isolated from Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 258, pp. 307–311, 1994.
- W. Cui, P. J. Wood, B. Blackwell, and J. Nikiforuk, “Physicochemical properties and structural characterization by two-dimensional NMR spectroscopy of wheat β-D-glucan-comparison with other cereal β-D-glucans,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 249–258, 2000.
- J. K. Fairweather, J. L. K. Him, L. Heux, H. Driguez, and V. Bulone, “Structural characterization by 13C-NMR spectroscopy of products synthesized in vitro by polysaccharide synthases using 13C-enriched glycosyl donors: application to a UDP-glucose: (1→3)β-D-glucan synthase from blackberry (Rubus fruticosus),” Glycobiology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 775–781, 2004.
- L. Pelosi, V. Bulone, and L. Heux, “Polymorphism of curdlan and (1→3)-β-D-glucans synthesized in vitro: a 13C CP-MAS and X-ray diffraction analysis,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 199–207, 2006.
- A. M. Barbosa, R. M. Steluti, R. F. H. Dekker, M. S. Cardoso, and M. L. C. da Silva, “Structural characterization of Botryosphaeran: a (1→3;1→6)-β-D-glucan produced by the ascomyceteous fungus, Botryosphaeria sp.,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 338, no. 16, pp. 1691–1698, 2003.
- Q. Dong, J. Yao, X. Yang, and J. Fang, “Structural characterization of a water-soluble β-D-glucan from fruiting bodies of Agaricus blazei Murr,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 337, no. 15, pp. 1417–1421, 2002.
- Š. Karácsonyi and Ľ. Kuniak, “Polysaccharides of Pleurotus ostreatus: isolation and structure of pleuran, an alkali-insoluble β-D-glucan,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 1994.
- F. A. Bovey and P. A. Mirau, NMR of Polymers, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1996.
- T. Wang, L. Deng, S. Li, and T. Tan, “Structural characterization of a water-insoluble (1→3)-α-D-glucan isolated from the Penicillium chrysogenum,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 133–137, 2007.
- H. Thérien-Aubin, F. Janvier, W. E. Baille, X. X. Zhu, and R. H. Marchessault, “Study of hydration of cross-linked high amylose starch by solid state 13C NMR spectroscopy,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 342, no. 11, pp. 1525–1529, 2007.
- P. R. Rajamohanan, S. Ganapathy, P. R. Vyas, A. Ravikumar, and M. V. Deshpande, “Solid-state CP/MASS 13C-NMR spectroscopy: a sensitive method to monitor enzymatic hydrolysis of chitin,” Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 151–163, 1996.
- L. Heux, J. Brugnerotto, J. Desbrières, M. F. Versali, and M. Rinaudo, “Solid state NMR for determination of degree of acetylation of chitin and chitosan,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 746–751, 2000.
- M. L. Duarte, M. C. Ferreira, M. R. Marvão, and J. Rocha, “Determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin materials by 13C CP/MAS NMR spectroscopy,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 359–363, 2001.
- K. van de Velde and P. Kiekens, “Structure analysis and degree of substitution of chitin, chitosan and dibutyrylchitin by FT-IR spectroscopy and solid state13C NMR,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 409–416, 2004.
- P. S. Belton, I. J. Colquhoun, A. Grant et al., “FTIR and NMR studies on the hydration of a high-Mr subunit of glutenin,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 74–80, 1995.
- P. S. Belton, A. M. Gil, A. Grant, E. Alberti, and A. S. Tatham, “Proton and carbon NMR measurements of the effects of hydration on the wheat protein ω-gliadin,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 955–966, 1998.