- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 249035, 10 pages
Finite Element Multibody Simulation of a Breathing Crack in a Rotor with a Cohesive Zone Model
Institute of Engineering Mechanics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Kaiserstraße 10, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Received 17 January 2013; Accepted 6 February 2013
Academic Editors: N. Anifantis, R. Brighenti, X. Deng, F. Liu, and J. Seok
Copyright © 2013 Rugerri Toni Liong and Carsten Proppe. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Georgantzinos and N. K. Anifantis, “An insight into the breathing mechanism of a crack in a rotating shaft,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 318, no. 1-2, pp. 279–295, 2008.
- J. Wauer, “On the dynamics of cracked rotors: literature survey,” Applied Mechanics Review, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1990.
- A. D. Dimarogonas, “Vibration of cracked structures: a state of the art review,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 831–857, 1996.
- G. Sabnavis, R. G. Kirk, M. Kasarda, and D. Quinn, “Cracked shaft detection and diagnostics: a literature review,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 287–296, 2004.
- C. Kumar and V. Rastogi, “A brief review on dynamics of a cracked rotor,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 2009, Article ID 758108, 6 pages, 2009.
- N. Bachschmid, P. Pennacchi, and E. Tanzi, “Some remarks on breathing mechanism, on non-linear effects and on slant and helicoidal cracks,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 879–904, 2008.
- N. Bachschmid, P. Pennachi, and E. Tanzi, Cracked Rotors, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- S. Andrieux and C. Varé, “A 3D cracked beam model with unilateral contact. Application to rotors,” European Journal of Mechanics, A, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 793–810, 2002.
- C. Varé and S. Andrieux, “Modeling of a cracked beam section under bending,” in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technolohy (SMiRT 18), pp. 281–290, Beijing, China, 2005.
- S. E. Arem and H. Maitournam, “A cracked beam finite element for rotating shaft dynamics and stability analysis,” Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 893–910, 2008.
- A. D. Dimarogonas and S. A. Paipetis, Analytical Methods in Rotor Dynamics, Applied Science Publishers, London, UK, 1983.
- A. K. Darpe, K. Gupta, and A. Chawla, “Coupled bending, longitudinal and torsional vibrations of a cracked rotor,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 269, no. 1-2, pp. 33–60, 2004.
- W. M. Ostachowicz and M. Krawczuk, “Coupled torsional and bending vibrations of a rotor with an open crack,” Archive of Applied Mechanics, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 191–201, 1992.
- Z. Kulesza and J. T. Sawicki, “Rigid finite element model of a cracked rotor,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 331, pp. 4145–4169, 2012.
- A. S. Bouboulas and N. K. Anifantis, “Finite element modeling of a vibrating beam with a breathing crack: observations on crack detection,” Structural Health Monitoring, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 131–145, 2011.
- D. S. Dugdale, “Yielding of steel sheets containing slits,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 1960.
- G. I. Barenblatt, “The mathematical theory of equilibrium crack in brittle fracture,” Advances in Applied Mechanics, vol. 7, pp. 55–129, 1962.
- T. Siegmund and W. Brocks, “Tensile decohesion by local failure criteria,” Technische Mechanik, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 261–270, 1998.
- T. Siegmund and W. Brocks, “A numerical study on the correlation between the work of separation and the dissipation rate in ductile fracture,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 139–154, 2000.
- M. Anvari, I. Scheider, and C. Thaulow, “Simulation of dynamic ductile crack growth using strain-rate and triaxiality-dependent cohesive elements,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 73, no. 15, pp. 2210–2228, 2006.
- I. Scheider, “Derivation of separation laws for cohesive models in the course of ductile fracture,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 1450–1459, 2009.
- A. Banerjee and R. Manivasagam, “Triaxiality dependent cohesive zone model,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 1761–1770, 2009.
- A. D. Dimarogonas and C. A. Papadopoulos, “Vibration of cracked shafts in bending,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 583–593, 1983.
- A. C. Chasalevris and C. A. Papadopoulos, “A continuous model approach for cross-coupled bending vibrations of a rotor-bearing system with a transverse breathing crack,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1176–1191, 2009.
- C. A. Papadopoulos, “The strain energy release approach for modeling cracks in rotors: a state of the art review,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 763–789, 2008.
- R. T. Liong and C. Proppe, “Application of the cohesive zone model to the analysis of a rotor with a transverse crack,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 332, no. 8, pp. 2098–2110, 2013.
- C. Shet and N. Chandra, “Analysis of energy balance when using Cohesive Zone Models to simulate fracture processes,” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 440–450, 2002.
- H. Li and N. Chandra, “Analysis of crack growth and crack-tip plasticity in ductile materials using cohesive zone models,” International Journal of Plasticity, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 849–882, 2003.
- N. Bachschmid, P. Pennacchi, and E. Tanzi, “On the evolution of vibrations in cracked rotors,” in Proceedings of the 8th IFToMM International Conference on Rotor Dynamics, pp. 304–310, Seoul, Korea, 2010.
- O. S. Jun, H. J. Eun, Y. Y. Earmme, and C. W. Lee, “Modelling and vibration analysis of a simple rotor with a breathing crack,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 273–290, 1992.
- J. J. Sinou and A. W. Lees, “The influence of cracks in rotating shafts,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 285, no. 4-5, pp. 1015–1037, 2005.
- Y. S. Shih and J. J. Chen, “Analysis of fatigue crack growth on a cracked shaft,” International Journal of Fatigue, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 477–485, 1997.
- R. T. Liong and C. Proppe, “Application of the cohesive zone model for the investigation of the dynamic behavior of a rotating shaft with a transverse crack,” in Proceedings of the 8th IFToMM International Conference on Rotor Dynamics, pp. 628–636, Seoul, Korea, September 2010.
- R. T. Liong and C. Proppe, “Application of the cohesive zone model to the analysis of a rotor with a transverse crack,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, pp. 3434–3442, Leuven, Belgium, 2011.